Can a deafeated player vote in draws?

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Can a deafeated player vote in draws?

Postby Epiphany » 15 Dec 2019, 03:57

Can someone whose SCs have all been wiped out still vote on a draw between the surviving players?
The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
Epiphany
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1006
All-game rating: 946
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Can a deafeated player vote in draws?

Postby WHSeward » 15 Dec 2019, 04:27

No.

The only minor exception is a draw vote before Fall Builds in the same year they lost their last SC. Since they aren't formally eliminated until the builds phase, they still vote until then. If they scuttle your draw, just propose it again once they are gone.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby Figital » 26 Jan 2020, 20:51

if the player whose SCs have been occupied (and will thus be eliminated) in the fall FAILS to vote on the draw - is it considered an yes or a No vote?

i.e he is still in the game - his SCs are still his. We are in Autumn retreat mode and a draw is proposed. Will the absence of a vote from this player still prevent the draw being accepted IF all other players (i.e. those WITH units) have accepted?
Figital

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1036
All-game rating: 1042
Timezone: GMT

Postby WHSeward » 27 Jan 2020, 02:59

Failure to vote is a "no" vote.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 27 Jan 2020, 04:15

You need to wait until after the build phase before he’s no longer part of the voting.
Lead Volunteer Developer & Forum Admin

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1466
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions