Surrender and Rejoin

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Surrender and Rejoin

Postby sarge57 » 05 Jul 2022, 02:40

Is it possible to surrender from a game and rejoin the same game later ?

We have a situation where someone joined as a sub, in a fairly hopeless situation. But anothe country with much better prospects has surrendered. Is it possible for this guy to surrender and swap to the better country.

Asking for an enemy :)
sarge57

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1197
All-game rating: 1196
Timezone: GMT

Re: Surrender and Rejoin

Postby HunsRus » 05 Jul 2022, 02:45

I want to say that would be a form of meta gaming, but I’m not positive.
HunsRus

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1933)
All-game rating: (1950)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby ColonelApricot » 05 Jul 2022, 04:43

If it is a Friends class game, yes it is possible.

Otherwise, no.

..CA
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1102
All-game rating: 1535

Postby super_dipsy » 05 Jul 2022, 07:31

As CA says, you can do this in Friends game. You absolutely cannot do it in any ranked or norank game. In order to prevent accidents, if it is not a Friends game then if you have been in it and left, it will no longer even show as an option to rejoin it on the Join page. It just wont be listed at all.

BTW, I will delete the other thread you started with the same topic.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)

Postby sarge57 » 10 Jul 2022, 01:47

Hi, thanks for the thorough and unequivocal answer.

Sorry about the duplicate thread, when I submitted it the first time, I got a big red message telling me that the forum I’d chosen was for information only. I assumed I had failed to post it there and went to another forum to post it. I didn’t realise that both posts were active. Thanks for tidying it up.
sarge57

Postby sarge57 » 10 Jul 2022, 02:09

As a follow on Question,

In a protected game after an NMR the deadline is extended before a player is auto surrendered, then there is another day’s grace for a substitute to have chance to join. I’m worried about entering moves in the move after the surrender.

Obviously we have one set of moves if the country is known to be “holding”, and another set of moves if a sub joins. Using the wrong set of orders will either not take advantage of the “hold” situation, or could end up causing you to overextend and expose yourself to attack if suddenly the country becomes active.

This means you have to watch closely right up until the last minute, ready to scramble to change moves if a sub takes over just before the deadline. This is particularly inconvenient if the deadline is in the middle of the nght.

Perhaps if they haven’t joined within one or two hours of a deadline, they should have to wait until the next move. Also a sneaky newly arriving sub, could potentially do this on purpose to create an advantageous situation.

Is there a time limit on subs joining the game? Or can they join right up to the deadline ?

thanks
sarge57

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions