Meta Gaming

Question about the rules of the game? Experienced Diplomacy veterans will help you! There is also a Common Questions section.
Forum rules
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not refer directly to a specific situation in an active game. It is usually possible to provide an example of a similar situation elsewhere on the board.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
3. Questions should only request rules be clarified and not request advice about how to resolve a situation.
4. When answering a question, members should restrict themselves to answering the question and not give advice on how to get around the situation.
Posts which break these rules will be subject to editing or removal; see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 13&t=42845

Meta Gaming

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 15 Nov 2020, 16:09

I'd like thoughts on a situation.

Suppose I'm playing in a tournment and it's round 4 of 4. I win the tournment as long as 1 other player doesn't win this final game.

If my game strategy is to make sure this 1 player doesn't win I'd say that's meta-gaming. The question is... is it cheating?

I'd argue not really given that the game itself is part of a tournment so is itself a meta-game, but I'm curious what others think.
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Meta Gaming

Postby MisterPlant » 15 Nov 2020, 16:22

I would say it’s strategy not meta gaming,just my opinion though..
MisterPlant
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1609
All-game rating: 1832

Postby StuRobot » 15 Nov 2020, 17:49

I think if its part of a tournament then the assumption is that you are expected to do it. If you aren’t allowed then the tournament should expressly state it and try and avoid the situation by using anonymous countries or similar?
StuRobot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1112
All-game rating: 1236

Postby Charleroi » 15 Nov 2020, 18:36

I agree with the crowd here - in the special context of a league or tournament, that kind of thinking is part of the play. It may be meta gaming, but I wouldn't say it's impermissible meta gaming. At the very least it's quite common - every league I've played in on this site, I've had a number of players message me with really detailed "I have X points and if we get Y centers and prevent this other guy from getting Z centers" messages.

I read the site's prohibition on meta gaming to forbid an agreement between players where they agree to work together in ordinary ranked games so that one player wins game A while the other player wins game B. That's not fair to the other players in the games who can't offer anything to break the deal between the two meta gamers and probably aren't even in the other matches. In a league, the whole context is different. Everyone else in those matches is aware of the impact each game has on the league standings and is playing them in order to win the league.

This kind of thinking is also why some leagues (the SuperPastis league for example) specifically play *unranked* games. It wouldn't be fair to the ranking system for league games (where players are playing to the league's scoring system and may play tactically in one game based on results in another) to have those results change the site-wide standard rankings.
Charleroi
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1555
All-game rating: 1693
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby David E. Cohen » 15 Nov 2020, 19:26

NOT metagaming. Your goal in a tournament is to win the tournament.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
David E. Cohen

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WHSeward » 15 Nov 2020, 23:23

Definitely not metagaming in the context of a tournament.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby MisterPlant » 16 Nov 2020, 00:18

There you go-all posts agree you are treading the righteous path!
MisterPlant
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1609
All-game rating: 1832

Return to Diplomacy Rules Questions