Time for a Rules Change

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: Time for a Rules Change

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 28 Mar 2018, 18:10

joe92 wrote:I'm not sure what other abuses there are with sharing screenshots? Can you give an example. The only thing I can think of is that not everybody knows how to do it.

I'm thinking along these lines:
  1. Using images as a backdoor to open communication up outside the PD interface.
  2. Images inadvertently revealing identifying information (less an abuse than a security issue).
  3. Images used as a form of harassment.
  4. Players demanding or coercing for images of one's orders (or map, for fog-of-war).

Unless PD plans to host uploads (which I doubt), an externally hosted image can potentially be deleted after posting, which can yield moderation problems for items #1 and #3.

They're not insurmountable issues, but they will probably come up.
Forum Admin & New Variant Development Assistant

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1466)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby condude1 » 28 Mar 2018, 18:13

The marginal benefit's just not worth it IMO.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby springbutt46 » 28 Mar 2018, 18:20

The point that everyone should know that images can be altered I think is the key to this discussion. Maybe you can't do it yourself, maybe you can. Maybe you are an expert at image manipulation, maybe you aren't. The one fact of this discussion is that we all know that image manipulation can happen. Our avatars here are a very simple and classic example (Shiv, Shiv of the Stone Tablets). Because we all know it can happen should be the basis for making the rules change that state that screenshots cannot be used, because some people don't know about image manipulation. That is not a true statement. We all know about image manipulation. Therefore we should all treat images used in conversations as suspect.
Spring
Classicist, Platinum Member.
Premium Member.
NEVER Surrender.
and I play discgolf too.
springbutt46

Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1438)

Postby joe92 » 28 Mar 2018, 18:39

Fair points on the other abuses. In terms of linking to virus', that risk already exists today and I expect would be responded to exactly the same as it would be today if someone linked to a virus. You can give a plain text version of a shortened link claiming it to be a historical reference relevant to the game and it's actually a virus. Including screenshots may make it easier but it's not like there's suddenly going to be loads of virus' being sent to one another.

The point about accidentally, or "accidentally", including private information in an anonymous game is a very good point. So perhaps if they are allowed, they're only allowed in non-anon games as nopun suggests.

I'll change my opinion on this to neither against nor for. Sitting on a nice comfortable fence.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1721)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Custer » 28 Mar 2018, 18:39

What's a tweet?

And I must give credit where credit is due, The Exulted and Illustrius "The Craw" made my avatar for me and for a hefty sum if I remember correctly......

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1230
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Custer » 28 Mar 2018, 18:49

Spring,

See updated signature below.

LOL

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1019
All-game rating: 1230
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Fuddin » 28 Mar 2018, 18:54

Or perhaps it could be included as another game option that the whoever makes the game can decide at the beginning. (Allow screen shots? Yes/No). I think that'd be pretty fair.
Never Surrender. Never NMR. Also, screw kingmakers!
Fuddin

Standard rating: 1092
All-game rating: 1097

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 28 Mar 2018, 18:59

Fuddin wrote:Or perhaps it could be included as another game option that the whoever makes the game can decide at the beginning. (Allow screen shots? Yes/No). I think that'd be pretty fair.

That's roughly my suggestion, only without having to create a new option. Screenshots become allowed in non-anonymous games and are still a no-no in anonymous games.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 28 Mar 2018, 19:05

springbutt46 wrote:The point that everyone should know that images can be altered I think is the key to this discussion.

I don't think it actually is the "key" to the discussion. It's related to one argument made for the rule regarding a level playing field, but I think that's the weakest of the arguments against allowing screenshot-sharing.

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did

Postby SteveHybrid » 28 Mar 2018, 19:07

Fuddin wrote:Or perhaps it could be included as another game option that the whoever makes the game can decide at the beginning. (Allow screen shots? Yes/No). I think that'd be pretty fair.

Playing devil's advocate, should we also add the option: (Allow altered messages? Yes/No) ?

We need to remember, some people can alter images just as some others can alter written messages. Each to their own skill set, however we all know both images/messages can be fake so it's not like when you receive a screenshot you would take it for any more truth than you do a message and if you do, that's your own fault.
-Steve
SteveHybrid
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1238)
All-game rating: (767)

PreviousNext

Return to Site Rules