Swearing

Rules for using the site and playing on site.

Re: Swearing

Postby GPD » 09 Feb 2018, 17:17

Pootleflump wrote:
GPD wrote:
gareth66 wrote:Indeed. There are no rules against swearing in private power-to-power messages. The rules giverning public press and chat box are to do with “extreme” swearing - and as Asu says, what constitutes “extreme” is rather subjective. Might be a good idea to run tbe situation you are in by the mods if there is something specific you are concerned about. But do it by PM rather than quoting it in the forum - just in case it is extreme profanity! ;) :)

My view is as long as it's not personal abuse, it should be ok. And I don't mean telling someone they are a crap player, I mean personal. E.g gender, race, orientation, etc.

Torpedo misfire talk is encouraged :shock:
Enthusiastically if I remember correctly...
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
GPD

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1706
All-game rating: 1766
Timezone: GMT

Postby The SHIV » 09 Feb 2018, 17:18

LOL....chainsaw diplomacy....good one. Just glad to know if I let one slip every now and then I'm not guilty of treason. I don't swear much but sometimes "you people" are just too much!

LOL

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1147
All-game rating: 1175
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WarSmith » 09 Feb 2018, 17:22

If you’re suffering abuse in private messages please report to a mod.
I don’t tend to deal with those kind of reports personally, unless it’s someone who lacks creativity in their swearing, and then I’m quite good at teaching.
If it’s ‘standard’ swearing and you don’t like it - tell the person you don’t like it. Probably they’ll stop. And if they don’t... take Belgium.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1799
All-game rating: 1814
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby TheCraw » 09 Feb 2018, 18:12

Swearing is fine, god damnit, it's the stuff that would get you in SERIOUS shit socially that is Verboten.
Racism, homophobia, personal attacks against someone handicapped... those things will get you in trouble anywhere, not just PlayDip. As will bullying or inciting/threatening violence. Yes, you don't know them or where they are, that still doesn't make it ok to threaten them.
(except The French, it's ALWAYS OK to mock the French)

Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Lord/God of Dune
All-game rating: (935)

Postby edmgrim » 09 Feb 2018, 19:29

Potter Stewart 1964 wrote:I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description , and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it,

For me, I ofter find myself wanting to use , shall we say, "colorful" language in some of my posts, usually not necessarily angry ones as much as those where I wish to express a sense of urgency. And invariably, the language I want to use refers to the situation and not the player(s).

And while my keyboarding skills and general hasty tendency to click send often results in several careless typos in the messages I send, for some reason, I am able to find ways to adjust my vocabulary to make my point without risking offence (due to word choice). Sometimes I am able to find more poetic and satisfying expressions. Of course there are also times when I really felt that the (expletive deleted, heh heh) word I replaced was the more effective expression. But even then, I usually felt better about choosing alternative language.

And I never direct epithets or personal attacks (foul or otherwise) towards anyone, which is not to say that I won't tell someone they made a stupid or ill-conceived decision.

Finally, I'll also take this one step further. While I have seen a few cases of what I thought was gratuitous (if not improper) use of language, the most offensive posts I have seen here were perfectly clean as word choice goes, but no less offensive in content. There are two people I have encountered here who I will not (intentionally) engage with because of their abusive behavior. Neither of them use any words that would be, by themselves, questioned by the moderators.
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Zosimus » 10 Feb 2018, 04:41

Profanity is good because when you get some of it in a message to you, you know you're finally hearing what the person really thinks.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Standard rating: 1694
All-game rating: 1728

Postby TheCraw » 10 Feb 2018, 18:48

Dod gamn futher mucking bun of a sitch!
TheCraw

Postby The SHIV » 11 Feb 2018, 16:07

Funny......that's What my wife says all of the time! :lol:

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am SHIV, SHIV of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!

Postby TheCraw » 12 Feb 2018, 18:59

The SHIV wrote:Funny......that's What my wife says all of the time! :lol:

She must have picked it up from me. You spend enough time in bed with someone, you start to pick up their mannerisms. :twisted:
TheCraw

Postby The SHIV » 13 Feb 2018, 12:43

LoL........always a good wake up read as I spit my coffee all over the floor. Hilarious! You're too funny. Damn I'm glad you're back! :lol:

The SHIV
The SHIV
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Site Rules