Derby House Principles

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Derby House Principles

Postby Perygl » 14 Mar 2021, 17:28

Greetings all,

In my offline life, I work in an area adjacent to the field of professional wargaming. There's been a growing and welcome movement toward the discussion of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) among wargamers, and indeed among "serious gamers" in general. I'm listening to a Zoom conference about some alarming instances of religious harassment in my organization while I also enter some moves here before a deadline, 8-) and it occurred to me that some of you might find the below statement of DEI principles for professional wargamers interesting. Here 'tis:

THE DERBY HOUSE PRINCIPLES*

We believe that promoting diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do.

Diversity and inclusion are more than just words for us. They are the hard-and-fast principles guiding how we will build our teams, cultivate leaders and create a community that supports everyone in it. No one should ever feel excluded or less welcome because of gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, or background. Experience and social science have shown that diversity can generate better results, in analysis, insight, and professional decision-making.

As professional gamers we are committed to the Derby House Principles:

1) Promoting inclusion and diversity in professional wargaming, through the standards we set, the opportunities we offer, and access to activities we organise.
2) Making clear our opposition to sexism, racism, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination across the board, as well as in wargaming.
3) Encouraging a greater role and higher profile for colleagues from underrepresented groups in our professional activities.
4) Seeking out and listening to the concerns and suggestions of our colleagues as to how our commitment to diversity and inclusion could be enhanced.
5) Demonstrating our commitment to diversity and inclusion through ongoing assessment of progress made and discussion of future steps.

*Derby House in Liverpool was the location of the Western Approaches Tactical Unit during WWII. WATU conducted some of the most consequential wargaming in the history of armed conflict. It was staffed by women from all walks of life, and men considered unfit for duty at sea through illness and injury. Between them was the breadth of tactical, technical, social and cultural knowledge necessary to train naval officers from every Allied nation.

https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2020/06/1 ... wargaming/
Once I was tipsy and I was doing magic and I broke a salt shaker.
Perygl
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 888
Timezone: GMT-4

Re: Derby House Principles

Postby Custer » 15 Mar 2021, 02:42

Sorry.........its not.

:o

Not sorry.......

:twisted:

Custer
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 1135
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Perygl » 15 Mar 2021, 03:10

Custer wrote:Sorry.........its not.

:o

Not sorry.......

:twisted:

Custer

I had to reread my original post to figure out what it isn't! :lol:

Well, I think it is. 8-)
Perygl
Premium Member

Postby Foucaults Pendulum » 15 Mar 2021, 16:35

Oh, please keep woke virtue-signaling away from what is just a good old fashioned strategy game. No, no reasonable person actually supports discrimination, but no, Diplomacy does not need a Maoist Cultural Revolution to purge bourgeois and reactionary elements. The site has satisfactory anti-harassment and anti-discrim policies. Stop trying to constantly one-up one another to see who can be the wokeist.
Foucaults Pendulum
Premium Member

Standard rating: 992
All-game rating: 1083
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Perygl » 16 Mar 2021, 04:03

LOL Next time I'll save it for the Debates subforum!

My organization's making a big push toward diversity, equity, and inclusion, and I've been soaking in the topic for years... I forget how annoying it is to people who aren't voluntarily soaking in it. I hereby resolve to refrain from treating the forum the way I treat my Facebook page. :lol:
Perygl
Premium Member

Postby Wolfensberger » 01 Apr 2021, 00:27

Well said Foucaults Pendulum.
Wolfensberger

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1199