Anonymity within game messaging

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Latanst1 » 05 Feb 2021, 03:24

"...OUTWITH..."?

Pootleflump wrote:My understanding is that generally you can tell anyone who you are WITHIN a game (either by direct message or in the PP) - even anonymous games - because yes, you could by lying or pretending to be someone else and that's all part of the game. Some people are known for being more loyal than others (such as..... cough.... Pootleflump..... cough..... fiercely loyal).

What you can't do is contact anyone OUTWITH the game. Or tell anyone outwith the game (e.g. on the forum, chatbox or in another game) that you're in a certain game.

That said, if you're in a tournament, it's always worth checking the rules of that tournament. For example WHSeward used to organise an annual elite tournament where it was expressly part of the rules that you shouldn't discuss a players identity within the game.

For the two current tournaments on PlayDip (Pastis and PDL), I'm pretty sure it's ok to pretend to be anybody, including yourself within game.

Somebody told me in a recent game that they'd come across several people (in different games) pretending to be Pootleflump. I think they made even more outrageous Pootleflumps than me. How dare they!

If you meet a Pootleflump, make sure she's the original... :o
User avatar
Latanst1
Premium Member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 29 Apr 2018, 02:06
Location: Tokyo Japan
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1198
Timezone: GMT+9

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Pootleflump » 05 Feb 2021, 10:24

Latanst1 wrote:"...OUTWITH..."?


As in....

My bottom is WITHIN my knickers. But my arm is OUTWITH
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
User avatar
Pootleflump
 
Posts: 526
Joined: 28 Feb 2017, 22:21
Location: Scotland
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Pootleflump » 05 Feb 2021, 10:31

Slightly tangential.....

But 'panties' is an American, comedy-word that always makes me laugh. It's the least erotic word imaginable and always makes me think of my granny's big, nylon bloomers.

Pootle wears Scottish knickers.... sometimes....
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
User avatar
Pootleflump
 
Posts: 526
Joined: 28 Feb 2017, 22:21
Location: Scotland
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Latanst1 » 05 Feb 2021, 10:35

I have learned something new. Is that Scots English or some other? We have many strange expressions in my home in Appalachia but I have never come across this little treasure before.

Thank'ee kindly!

Pootleflump wrote:
Latanst1 wrote:"...OUTWITH..."?


As in....

My bottom is WITHIN my knickers. But my arm is OUTWITH
User avatar
Latanst1
Premium Member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: 29 Apr 2018, 02:06
Location: Tokyo Japan
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1124
All-game rating: 1198
Timezone: GMT+9

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Guns of Brixton » 05 Feb 2021, 11:50

Pootleflump wrote:Slightly tangential.....

But 'panties' is an American, comedy-word that always makes me laugh. It's the least erotic word imaginable and always makes me think of my granny's big, nylon bloomers.

Pootle wears Scottish knickers.... sometimes....


So 'panties' is the least erotic word imaginable, but 'pants' (British version) isn't? PF, I don't think you know the first thing about underwear!
Platinum Classicist
Channel Swimmer
User avatar
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member
 
Posts: 698
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 00:53
Location: SW London
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1540
All-game rating: 1599
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Pootleflump » 05 Feb 2021, 13:10

Guns of Brixton wrote:So 'panties' is the least erotic word imaginable, but 'pants' (British version) isn't? PF, I don't think you know the first thing about underwear!


Hmm.... I know that when your arm is WITHIN my 'panties' and my bottom is OUTWITH, we have a dilemma.

And Granny's PANTIES made the best STOCKINGS - santa could get loads of presents in a pair of granny's panties.

Man's pants are a whole different ballgame. ;) Don't get me started.

"He ripped her panties off with his teeth" GoB, admit it - it's a comedy-word guaranteed to make you giggle.
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
User avatar
Pootleflump
 
Posts: 526
Joined: 28 Feb 2017, 22:21
Location: Scotland
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Guns of Brixton » 05 Feb 2021, 19:32

Why Pootleflump, is that a challenge? :o
Platinum Classicist
Channel Swimmer
User avatar
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member
 
Posts: 698
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 00:53
Location: SW London
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1540
All-game rating: 1599
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Guns of Brixton » 05 Feb 2021, 19:42

So I've noticed that 4 of the 7 of us posting on this thread happen to be involved in the same AP game. Now I don't want to violate any rules or anything, but I think it would be within the bounds of Site Regulations to propose a challenge.

If someone here who is not part of the game promises to maintain secrecy and not communicate with anyone in the game about anything or anyone playing (per normal PDO rules), I'll post on the Public Press the following challenge:

Each player (who wants to) submit their guess as to who's who in the game via PM to the person here who accepts the role of record keeper. Upon the game's completion we'll know who's who in the game and the record keeper can reveal the results of the guessing. The prize is absolutely nothing, but the challenge should be fun and may well be revealing as to how secret these AP games really are.

So... anyone like to be record keeper?
Platinum Classicist
Channel Swimmer
User avatar
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member
 
Posts: 698
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 00:53
Location: SW London
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1540
All-game rating: 1599
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Oxmeister » 05 Feb 2021, 23:07

Guns of Brixton wrote:So I've noticed that 4 of the 7 of us posting on this thread happen to be involved in the same AP game. Now I don't want to violate any rules or anything, but I think it would be within the bounds of Site Regulations to propose a challenge.

If someone here who is not part of the game promises to maintain secrecy and not communicate with anyone in the game about anything or anyone playing (per normal PDO rules), I'll post on the Public Press the following challenge:

Each player (who wants to) submit their guess as to who's who in the game via PM to the person here who accepts the role of record keeper. Upon the game's completion we'll know who's who in the game and the record keeper can reveal the results of the guessing. The prize is absolutely nothing, but the challenge should be fun and may well be revealing as to how secret these AP games really are.

So... anyone like to be record keeper?


Yeah , I'd noticed that, it was like the people in my AC game were following me on the forum!

Well I'm quite confident on a few of you, so I'm game if its cleared. Don't forget to tick the anonymous box though GoB ;)
User avatar
Oxmeister
Premium Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 23 Sep 2020, 13:54
Location: England
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1290
All-game rating: 1465
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Pootleflump » 06 Feb 2021, 01:06

I feel left out.

I'm pretty sure I'm not in your game.

For I'd know Mr G Of Brixton anywhere. ;)

His pants are of the English-American variety.
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
User avatar
Pootleflump
 
Posts: 526
Joined: 28 Feb 2017, 22:21
Location: Scotland
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1798
All-game rating: 1878
Timezone: GMT

PreviousNext

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests