Anonymity within game messaging

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Oxmeister » 04 Feb 2021, 17:08

Hi, I'm new to this site and involved in some anonymous games. I've looked at the rules, and I think they are fairly clear to me, but the attitudes of players seems to indicate different interpretations.

From what I've seen in the rules, you cannot break your anonymity here on the forum, but you can do as part of the game messaging (public or private), as you could be lying.

I've seen examples of anonymous games where people claim they are somebody else (in anonymous countries) or disclose who they are. On the other hand I've also interacted with players in games who are surprised when I comment that we seem to be in different time zones that they don't want to be too specific to avoid breaking anonymity, almost as if I maybe I shouldn't be asking.

This is useful information, but I don't want to break the rules, so my question is simply to clarify whether there are any limitations on how I approach anonymity *within* the game messaging systems? can I confirm I know somebody who is, having worked out by their press style, to other players? can I ask questions that might give up a players identity? can I make claims about my own identity?

Thanks
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1324
All-game rating: 1492
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymity within game messaging

Postby Pootleflump » 04 Feb 2021, 17:28

My understanding is that generally you can tell anyone who you are WITHIN a game (either by direct message or in the PP) - even anonymous games - because yes, you could by lying or pretending to be someone else and that's all part of the game. Some people are known for being more loyal than others (such as..... cough.... Pootleflump..... cough..... fiercely loyal).

What you can't do is contact anyone OUTWITH the game. Or tell anyone outwith the game (e.g. on the forum, chatbox or in another game) that you're in a certain game.

That said, if you're in a tournament, it's always worth checking the rules of that tournament. For example WHSeward used to organise an annual elite tournament where it was expressly part of the rules that you shouldn't discuss a players identity within the game.

For the two current tournaments on PlayDip (Pastis and PDL), I'm pretty sure it's ok to pretend to be anybody, including yourself within game.

Somebody told me in a recent game that they'd come across several people (in different games) pretending to be Pootleflump. I think they made even more outrageous Pootleflumps than me. How dare they!

If you meet a Pootleflump, make sure she's the original... :o
Last edited by Pootleflump on 04 Feb 2021, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
Pootleflump

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1761
All-game rating: 1839

Postby TTBen » 04 Feb 2021, 17:48

What Pootleflump said above is accurate. I may be a poor judge of style but I've been fooled several times thinking I knew who someone was. Even timezones are not a foolproof method of ID'ing someone as you never know what hours someone is awake (some people might regularly be up at midnight their time)
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1111
All-game rating: 1778
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Oxmeister » 04 Feb 2021, 17:57

Very helpful both, thank you 8-)
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Postby Jack007 » 04 Feb 2021, 20:29

TTBen wrote:... I may be a poor judge of style but I've been fooled several times thinking I knew who someone was. Even timezones are not a foolproof method of ID'ing someone as you never know what [is true]

And even the forum avatar isn't a foolproof method of identification. That having said I ask now the other "Pootleflump" here to stop faking me, because there can be only one Pootleflump, and that's me. 8-)

Best..
Pootleflump
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1523
All-game rating: 1623
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pootleflump » 04 Feb 2021, 20:57

Jack007 wrote:
And even the forum avatar isn't a foolproof method of identification. That having said I ask now the other "Pootleflump" here to stop faking me, because there can be only one Pootleflump, and that's me. 8-)

Best..
Pootleflump

PROVE IT! What colour is your underwear? Only the real Pootleflump knows the answer.......
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1761
All-game rating: 1839

Postby Custer » 04 Feb 2021, 23:38

I know......

Creepy Uncle Custer

LoL
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese! And one more thing. Say ya to da U.P. eh!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 1135

Postby V » 05 Feb 2021, 00:25

What underwear? :D
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: (1769)
All-game rating: (1827)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Oxmeister » 05 Feb 2021, 01:36

What a funny turn a mundane thread about rules has taken :lol:
Oxmeister
Premium Member

Postby UM85 » 05 Feb 2021, 02:10

Custer wrote:I know......

Creepy Uncle Custer

LoL

Custer, how many times have we asked you to stop wearing Pootleflump's underwear?
UM85
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1316)
All-game rating: (1318)

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use