Illegal Move

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Illegal Move

Postby RobLaoWai » 26 Dec 2020, 10:40

What the shitake? Illegal Move? Is that basically saying, "The computer let you do it, but in retrospect it shouldn't have, so we're just going to cancel the whole move and assume you HOLD for that season."???

I'm glad the IRS doesn't do this.
RobLaoWai

Re: Illegal Move

Postby Fatmo » 26 Dec 2020, 11:40

Yea, you're allowed to enter illegal moves on this site. On some sites you can't.

I actually like that you can enter them.

You can in the actual board game. And yea, if you do that in the board game, same thing. The units that made illegal moves will hold.

There may be diplomatic or even humorous reasons you might want to enter an illegal order.

I get that it can be kind of annoying if you're newer or actually made a mistake. You should always be sure to double check the rules if you're not sure a move is legal or not. Or ask another player in the game, if you trust them enough. There's even a moves sandbox on the site, though it can be a bit tedious to set up.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Fatmo » 26 Dec 2020, 11:42

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/judge/new_manual.php

Here's the orders solver.

Looks like there's even a thing where you can enter the game number and it maybe gives you the current setup of that game. I don't remember that being there before, so maybe that's new. I guess I've never really had the need for it, so maybe I didn't see that and it was always there.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEgjTfcEJk
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Woolgie » 26 Dec 2020, 13:23

There are times when people will want to enter an illegal move such as ordering a fleet Rumania - Bulgaria south coast, so then they can say to their opponents ‘oops sorry I miss-entered my orders’ when in reality they did it deliberately to look like their attacking a Turkey when they’re not.

Consider also ordering an army from Rumania - Armenia. Looks like an illegal move, but it’s not if there’s a fleet in the Black Sea and it convoys the army. It’s easier/safer for the adjudication to allow illegal moves just in case they’re not always illegal.

Third case, someone has already won and in the last moves orders a bunch of illegal moves so that the order arrows spell out their initials.
I ran Play Diplomacy League for a time and then I set it free
Redesigning my Star Wars variant
Still proud of my solo in Versailles Fog Chaos
WDC 2020 38th place
Woolgie
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1042
All-game rating: 939
Timezone: GMT

Postby jay65536 » 26 Dec 2020, 15:25

Woolgie wrote:There are times when people will want to enter an illegal move such as ordering a fleet Rumania - Bulgaria south coast, so then they can say to their opponents ‘oops sorry I miss-entered my orders’ when in reality they did it deliberately to look like their attacking a Turkey when they’re not.

And then of course there is the “badly written order” rule which can come up in a human-adjudicated game, by which I might say that Rumania actually moves to the east coast of Bulgaria instead of holding, because the order can only be interpreted that way.
jay65536

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1120)
All-game rating: (1126)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use