Really really close friends: to what extent is it fair-play?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Really really close friends: to what extent is it fair-play?

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 04 Dec 2020, 11:33

Hi,

I do not post this in the "cheater" sub-forum, because there is objectively no evidence to present. But I'd like to read some opinions about the case.

What do you think of 2 players sharing 90-95% of their games (mostly unranked) and ending up fighting one another only 10% of the time?
Active alliances (units supporting one another) is not systematic, but peace between the 2, even as neighbours, seems to be the rule. Related or not, they regularly end up in the final draw.

I played myself once with them (again, nothing obvious to report about) and recently refrained from joining a game they were playing in.

Am I paranoid? Is that none of my business? Would you play with such a tandem?

Thanks
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Really really close friends: to what extent is it fair-p

Postby Malarky » 04 Dec 2020, 11:56

I'd report it to a mod through PM, to be honest, because it's worth looking at for me.

There are a number of possible rules being broken. Are they working as a team? Possibly. It doesn't matter whether this is in ranked or unranked games because, even in an unranked game, players deserve to not be cheated. Are they communicating in the game? Out of game communication is something which may be hiding the fact that they are playing with a prearranged agreement. Are they negotiating alliances? If they are actually coming to agreements over alliances and this can be seen by the messages in a game, then that's fine... although there are limits that it sounds like they are pushing over just how regularly players align themselves with each other.

To be honest, it looks like you've done a fair bit of research :) Certainly more than a lot of players complete. It doesn't mean they are metagaming but it could well be that there's evidence somewhere that they are - or could be - and that it's hidden by out-of-game communication.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)

Postby TiberiusG58 » 04 Dec 2020, 12:47

Cheating is rampant on the site. Unrate all the games, and this will prevent all the children from benefiting from cheating. Without ranking, there still will be those whose need to win overcomes ethical concerns (what a joke to talk ethics about those who cheat on a board game!)
TiberiusG58

Standard rating: 915
All-game rating: 843
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby dib » 04 Dec 2020, 13:50

Its not fair play - we all know that but what can you do?

Snog Marry Avoid? You choose the latter.

I am interested in the motivation for cheating.

Clearly there are site rules on this site and they differ between communities.

In general meta gaming is regarded as a form of cheating - however in the face to face community there is a form of meta gaming that takes place. The communities are small - you are going to meet the same people more than once...

In a tournament if a player stabs you in Game 1 - how do you play in the semi final if you meet again

In terms of your complaint I think if the stats are as you say there is a case to answer.

But in reality who really is going to look into it? If they are separate people what are you going to do...

If players are using discord/whatsapp to regularly communicate then if they then play a game together play dip - where are the boundaries... how are you going to stop it?

If its monopoly and the banker helps themselves to two hundred extra who wins and who loses?
dib

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)

Postby Pootleflump » 04 Dec 2020, 15:08

dib wrote:
Snog Marry Avoid? You choose the latter.

LOL
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1761
All-game rating: 1839

Postby Chairpusher » 04 Dec 2020, 16:23

I have played in games where the trust level in Spring 02 is that massive you have to question whether the Players know each other. Or in another where two Players were shown to have cheated one of them was attacking. I was deemed not to have suffered from this, in reality I was working with the other Player and as a result the one playing Russia seemed to out guess me every time. Players should be thrown out for good.
Chairpusher
Premium Member

Standard rating: 844
All-game rating: 855

Postby Pootleflump » 04 Dec 2020, 18:18

dib wrote:
I am interested in the motivation for cheating.

Mostly it comes down to how much you need other people's perceptions of you (as a winner) to validate your own self worth.

And whether that need outweighs your moral conscience.

Combined with the perceived risk and perceived consequences of being caught.

You can almost always trace it back to early childhood experiences and what you had to do to get the attention of your parents.
She wanted... Secrets whispered at midnight, Road trips without a map...
Pootleflump

Standard rating: 1761
All-game rating: 1839

Postby Malarky » 05 Dec 2020, 14:44

TiberiusG58 wrote:Cheating is rampant on the site. Unrate all the games, and this will prevent all the children from benefiting from cheating. Without ranking, there still will be those whose need to win overcomes ethical concerns (what a joke to talk ethics about those who cheat on a board game!)

Rubbish. Cheating isn't rampant on the site at all. Seeing cheating when you lose is.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
The Playdiplomacy Guide
Across the Whole Board
Malarky
Premium Member

Standard rating: (918)
All-game rating: (1029)

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use