Mentoring & fair play

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Re: Mentoring & fair play

Postby Mr Aedron » 19 Dec 2019, 14:19

I understand the cheating potential of that rule.

But knowing that i don't cheat (and didn't need it) it is a significant barrier on learning cause it'll make it so much more boring for the mentor.

So i see the need for the rule but I see the problem with it too :roll:

But in the end, we need a sustainable system so fine but not great.

So Konck, here i come!
Mr Aedron
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1477
All-game rating: 1800
Timezone: GMT

Postby Strategus » 19 Dec 2019, 14:33

I think it might be ok to do as you want if you arrange a friends game (unranked) with top ranked players, and everybody agrees to what you want to do. Maybe a group learning sort of thing. What do you think?
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1573
All-game rating: 1674

Postby Charleroi » 19 Dec 2019, 19:02

As Strategus said, this seems perfectly fine for a friends game where everyone knows what the deal is.

And I'm not sure how useful the type of input you're seeking will be. There isn't one way to be a top player - having played against several folks in the top ten here it seems as though they often have their own styles and approaches. If you want to emulate some of those players you can (a) read AARs they've written (Wysecat's are particularly helpful) and (b) just join up games against them.

Point b is probably the best approach. If you want to know how the best players go about things, join up in games against them. There's almost always some kind of league/tournament going on the site and a lot of the top talent joins in those. Take your chances against them and you'll learn a lot. Sure you'll get clobbered from time to time, but there's no harm in that either.
Charleroi

Standard rating: 1577
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Martz » 19 Dec 2019, 19:42

Looks like I was wrong then. :)
Martz
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1684
All-game rating: 2157

Postby dib » 19 Dec 2019, 22:13

Just what the rules say as Mr Strategus says...

There are four of the (visible at least) top ten entered in SuperPastis 20 tournament. But can agree with charleroi the knowledge you seek may be within yourself - Yoda Dib :D

I know you are signed up already but here is the link for others = signup while there is space!!

viewtopic.php?f=901&t=60325

these are unranked but the kind of collusion you are talking about i think would be unfair on other less well connected folk so there may be a rule against it!!
Last edited by dib on 20 Dec 2019, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
dib

Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 19 Dec 2019, 23:09

Friends are indeed fair territory for this! Ranked and unranked are not.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Mr Aedron » 20 Dec 2019, 12:44

dib wrote:Just what the rules say as Mr Strategus says...

There are four of the (visible at least) top ten entered in SuperPastis 20 tournament. But can agree with charleroi the knowledge you seek may be within yourself - Yoda Dib :D

I know you are signed up already but here is the link for others = signup while there is space!!

these are unranked but the kind of collusion you are talking about i think would be unfair on other less well connected folk so there may be a rule against it!!

Dib, I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about feedback, not about having someone play for me. You'll also notice that an AAR and mentoring do provide that feedback, simply in a slower way. So are AARs with top players collusion?

Anyhow, if we put up the topics of tournaments here, i do wanna mention that I have an issue with the way tournaments are currently played. I'll bring the case of pastis 19 as example.

But that's another debate.

For this one, I'll respect the majority's wish.
AAR it is.
Mr Aedron
Premium Member

Postby Mr Aedron » 20 Dec 2019, 12:45

So Dib, Nanook, Strategus, would you folks be up to a friends game in Jan 2020? :mrgreen:

For science

PS: Dib, we have exactly the same stats :lol: same number of games, soloes, and draws.
Mr Aedron
Premium Member

Postby Strategus » 20 Dec 2019, 13:44

Sure, I am up for it. You should post the intent of the game, i.e. what the "friends rules" are. I would like to get the same benefit as you.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1573
All-game rating: 1674

Postby Pootleflump » 21 Dec 2019, 01:16

Mr Aedron wrote:
dib wrote:Just what the rules say as Mr Strategus says...

Dib, I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about feedback, not about having someone play for me. You'll also notice that an AAR and mentoring do provide that feedback, simply in a slower way. So are AARs with top players collusion?

Anyhow, if we put up the topics of tournaments here, i do wanna mention that I have an issue with the way tournaments are currently played. I'll bring the case of pastis 19 as example.

But that's another debate.

For this one, I'll respect the majority's wish.
AAR it is.

I absolutely get what dib, Nanook and Strategus are saying.

Unless we are misunderstanding.....

You are asking for live feedback (from a top ranked player) during an ongoing game.

So essentially your opposition are playing Mr's AeKonk, giving an unfair advantage to those who don't have a Konk In The Cupboard to advise them.

That's the 'team play' referred to by dib and understandably it's against site rules.

For what it's worth.... I think you have to find your own style or set of styles. If you try and play like someone else (and not you) -especially when it comes to communicating and building relationships- it often doesn't work.
Pootleflump
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1823
All-game rating: 1898

PreviousNext

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use