Standard game 148510

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Standard game 148510

Postby iphobia » 01 Nov 2018, 01:09

will a moderator or Admin please check on the abusive language in this game?
iphobia

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (976)
All-game rating: (976)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Standard game 148510

Postby condude1 » 01 Nov 2018, 02:22

I think it's actionable, but barely. I don't think spamming PP is in and of itself barred. However, there is an instance of homophobia in the spam that is actionable.

Of course, the guy's a freaking loser. But that's beside the point. :D I'm no mod, but I'd guess this is what their answer will be.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby blazebbc » 01 Nov 2018, 03:00

I'd suggest that if this site wants to be family-friendly that the press in the shoutbox is completely unacceptable. I"m and old guy and wouldn't want that nonsense in my game. I don't know the norms here yet, but I would hope that the mods would take action....
Ally Extraordinaire
Intermational Medal of Honor Recipient
blazebbc
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1132)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby V » 01 Nov 2018, 03:21

I think this excerpt from the site rules covers it pretty well;

Public Press posts must not feature content that is: extremely abusive towards other players, obscene or profane; abusive towards race, sexuality, sexual orientation or gender; overtly sexual; threatening, whether the threats refer to action on-site or off; others’ personal information; spamming; or advertising. Discussions of possible cheating or accusations of cheating must not be placed in Public Press

Guilty as charged your honour...
Now for the sentencing. Is the Mod feeling charitable we ask, or is the black cap in place today?
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 01 Nov 2018, 08:46

I have removed the offending posts and warned the player. Let me know if it continues.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)

Postby iphobia » 01 Nov 2018, 21:08

thanks to all that got back on this issue, there is no place for obscene language as posted, if we want to encourage new players of all ages, genders, religions, races and ethnicity to join a warning falls far short of an appropriate sanction, I could not recommend playing on this site, maybe it will be my last game.
iphobia

Postby super_dipsy » 01 Nov 2018, 21:34

iphobia wrote:thanks to all that got back on this issue, there is no place for obscene language as posted, if we want to encourage new players of all ages, genders, religions, races and ethnicity to join a warning falls far short of an appropriate sanction, I could not recommend playing on this site, maybe it will be my last game.

Sorry you feel that way. There are plenty of other sites to choose from, I hope you can find one that is more to your taste. Our approach is usually to give one warning for something like this. And since the posts have been removed, they are not risking anyone else. But of course we respect a person's right to choose. Good luck!
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby iphobia » 03 Nov 2018, 01:28

Your reply to my last post illustrates that you are not willing to take an appropriate sanction against vile, hateful and abusive language, it trivialises abuse when you call it ’something like this’ and 'since the posts have been removed, they are not risking anyone else’. Moderators and admin need to take more responsibility, this is pathetic negligence.
iphobia

Postby iphobia » 03 Nov 2018, 01:30

Maybe I'll get a warning for posting 'Moderators and admin need to take more responsibility, this is pathetic negligence.'
iphobia

Postby super_dipsy » 03 Nov 2018, 15:39

iphobia wrote:Moderators and admin need to take more responsibility, this is pathetic negligence.

Once again, thank you for your opinion, and we respect the right of others to have an opinion different from our own. It is sad indeed that you do not feel able or willing to offer me the same courtesy,

I do have to speak out about your comment on my lack of responsibility and negligence. I take deep personal offence to that remark. Although I realize you are probably not interested in anything I have to say, for the sake of others reading this thread I want to add an explanation so they can make their own judgement about whether we are irresponsible and negligent.

In our site rules, it lays down what is and is not acceptable. The rulings and any punishments or remedial actions are taken by the volunteer Mods. There were two problems with the posts from this player in the Public Press - some of them stepped over the acceptable boundary, and flooding the Public Press is also against the rules. This was a first offence by the player, so my decision was to remove the offending material and warn the player that any further infraction would result in a ban. This is a proportionate and responsible action in my view. Although you disagree, as I have said numerous times already I respect your right to have your own opinion. This is not an untypical response in society - often people who commit crimes are not sent to jail but given a warning. They may even be given a suspended sentence, which is effectively what this was (do it again andyou are out). This is the way my idea of a functioning society works. it may not be the sort of society you want to live in, and that is fine, becaause you are entitled to YOUR opinion.

But to be responsible, rather than negligent, we need to act for the best of the site membership and not one loud voice. Taking actions based on pressure groups that go contrary to what benefits the community as a whole would be negligent and irresponsible. So why is the action better for the community than an immediate ban? Basically, if we ban every player who commits a transgression based on a loud voice, our membership will rapidly dwindle because being human we all make mistakes. Remaining players will find it harder to get games, more people will leave, and the hobby suffers. By pointing out the issues to a player and persuading them to play by our rules, we keep people in the hobby which is good for others wanting to play Diplomacy. There are examples of rule-breaking that will get an immediate ban, but this is not one of them.

iphobia wrote:Maybe I'll get a warning for posting 'Moderators and admin need to take more responsibility, this is pathetic negligence.'

And this is the icing on the cake. It says a lot about you. Obviously from your perspective of the world, you expect me to give you a warning because in my place you would do the same - shoot first and ask questions later mentality based on black-and-white thinking. Again, it is a question of respecting other people's opinion and that they may be different to yours. You have voiced an opinion, which is fine; why would you get a warning for that?

I've spent enough time on this already - I do sincerely hope you find a site more suitable to your tastes. I need to get back to negligently and irresponsibly trying to look after the site membership as a whole.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use