Requesting pauses

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Requesting pauses

Postby edmgrim » 21 Jun 2018, 22:48

Why is it that we can see the results of a pause request until the first person disapproves the pause. I can understand with anonymous voting for draws, but with pause, I think that knowing who declined to allow the pause should not be protected by anonymity. It speaks to the sense of fair play and community.
edmgrim

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Requesting pauses

Postby V » 21 Jun 2018, 22:54

Except people are already using the pause function tactically & having a PP fight over the justification/refusal for a pause is not smart. Can you imagine how accusatory that could get?...
Better anonymity & a sulk methinks...
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby edmgrim » 22 Jun 2018, 00:19

...Except, most of the time, when a pause fails, everyone who accepted goes public leaving the person who declined apparent anyway and a PP storm develops anyway.

I've noticed a trend in the games where I have seen pauses requested:

In games where the person requesting the pause is a bit player or has the potential to influence the outcome without having an actual stake in the outcome,pauses almost always succeed.

In games where the person requesting the pause is losing, but still could recover, pauses usually succeed.

In games where the player requesting the pause looks like he is going to solo, pauses usually fail.

There is an honor code here at PlayDip. It addresses use of language, metagaming, and a few other behavioral concerns. I would like to think that, even if it is not easily enforceable, the use of the paue for strategic/tactical purposes should be (if not prohibited) strongly discouraged. And, at the very least, the votes on acceptance/declining pauses should be made available the same way they are posted for draws.
edmgrim

Standard rating: (1077)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby V » 22 Jun 2018, 00:23

Can’t say I agree, but it’s the mods really that have to cope with this type of crap, so I’ll defer.
Would Anonymous requests help in your opinion? Maybe less opportunity for tactical denials?
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1718
All-game rating: 1754
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 22 Jun 2018, 06:50

The way we handle pauses is it is a bit like finalizing. We don't think it is right for anyone to be pressured into it.

The point is that when you join a game, you are making a commitment to play that game and meet the deadlines it has. I completely understand that people can have some real life issues that cuase them to want to freeze the game for a bit, but apart from an extremely small number of cases where someone may be totally unable to play such as if they are in hospital or in one of those vanishingly rare places where there is no phone/wifi/anything access, the vast majority of pauses I suspect are people who don't WANT to play at that time. Perhaps they do not feel they can give the game their complete attention, perhaps they are stacked up with work and can't afford the time to give the game the attention it deserves, perhaps they are going on holiday for a week or so. I can understand that in this case people might want to pause the game, but with the greatest respect the point is you joined a game and committed to play; assuming you are not flat on your back or have no connectivity for any device at all, how much effort is it to just get a few orders in? Of course, you may not play as well as you would with 100% focus, but that is not really other players' problem is it? How many of the Pause requests are really because a player is truly unable to conitnue?

This is why it is anonymous, just like finalizing. Yes we have an honour code (in as much as you can have one with a game like Diplomacy ;) ). And yes, people often try to take into account a personal request for help. But the point is if you are looking forward to the game continuing only to have someone request a pause, it should be a free choice. You should be able to either graciously put your own desires second and agree, or decide you want to continue the game as it is supposed to run with no comeback on you.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use