Inappropriate Communication

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Inappropriate Communication

Postby Visco » 29 Dec 2017, 22:55

I’ve played multiple games with a player kaiznanji. Many times he’s said very inappropriate things, once calling me a pussy.

In game 135711 he called a player retarded and a f***ing pig

In game 136381 he taunted the remaining two players saying lol good game fags

I find this highly inappropriate and shouldn’t be acceptable for these games
Visco

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1094)
All-game rating: (1111)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Inappropriate Communication

Postby Frenchie07001 » 30 Dec 2017, 01:30

I agree.
Gold Classicist
Frenchie07001

Standard rating: 1127
All-game rating: 1096

Postby condude1 » 30 Dec 2017, 01:38

Being a jerk is perfectly acceptable, and even sometimes a valid tactic. However, homophobic slurs are not allowed on this site, and I believe that the third comment falls into that category (although I'm no expert on these matters). With that being said, I hate players that are really rude and will likely attack them as much as possible.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Lukan » 30 Dec 2017, 18:54

condude1 wrote:With that being said, I hate players that are really rude and will likely attack them as much as possible.

Which is why it is a strategy :)
For some, being a dick really helps shift the focus. It will sometimes encourage you to make irrational decisions.

I was called a ''pathetic little man'' by a players once. I'm not going to call names, but he went berserk on me for no apparent reason (I didn't even move my pieces against him, nor did I provoke him in my messages)
Some people get too caught up in this game. Apart from the homophobic comment (which probably should be looked at), I think you should just be the bigger person. Don't lose sleep over somebody calling you names in an online game.
Lukan

Location: The best country in the world (no offence to all other countries that exist)
Standard rating: 1806
All-game rating: 1861
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Jack007 » 30 Dec 2017, 19:07

Lukan wrote:... Don't lose sleep over somebody calling you names in an online game.

Yeah, just put them to your collection of trophies.
:mrgreen:
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1249
All-game rating: 1558

Postby Visco » 30 Dec 2017, 23:21

Well of course, I do agree that you can use your personality to influence other players but I feel like there is a limit. I feel like this game still has to have some amount of respect between players. We want new players to feel welcome and relatively friendly. Cursing and saying homophobic slurs degrades that respect and the quality of the community that supports this game. And this is only with me, I’m sure this player has acted this way with many players.

Like I said, I’m not bothered by a player being a jerk but this player has seemed to carry this behavior to multiple games.
Visco

Standard rating: (1094)
All-game rating: (1111)

Postby duckling » 31 Dec 2017, 01:00

Well...

- if he really cares about whatever bad PR or punishment he gets, he'll most probably also listen to reason.
- and if he is a maniac and doesn't care to change his way, no amount of punishment is going to set him straight. If he's kicked out, he can just as well return with a new account and keep bugging people, if only to feel he's getting back at, or winning over those who got him kicked out.
- if its all an act, and he's just trying to get attention (either in the game or in general), the only cure is to just completely ignore him. Don't give him the attention he wants. He'll get bored and leave on his own accord.

So after receiving a few love letters myself a few years ago (example attached), I just ignore this kind of jerk. They seem to hate it, and I don't mind that at all.
Attachments
Austria.tiff
Austria.tiff (90.12 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
duckling

Standard rating: (1130)
All-game rating: (1176)

Postby super_dipsy » 31 Dec 2017, 08:28

As far as the OP is concerned, this matter has been dealt with and is now closed.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 941

Postby adebruyn666 » 20 Mar 2018, 18:37

I know this post is quite old, but just for the fun of it... I usually deal with these jerks by sending love letters back.

I tell them I realize that there has been a real connection between us, and that his hatred and insults are just his way to cope with the unexplainable physical attraction we feel for one another. I reassure him this is perfectly normal. I call him "love" and "darling" and "sweetie". And I usually make my replies public. The more he replies, the funnier it becomes...

You should try, it's amazingly effective. I scored 2 surrenders with that tactic so far. :D

Some people just need hugs. Love is the answer to everything. :P
adebruyn666

Standard rating: (1465)
All-game rating: (1948)

Postby Strategus » 20 Mar 2018, 20:10

This is what playing Austria does for you...
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1624
All-game rating: 1775

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use