Bot?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Bot?

Postby megan » 26 May 2013, 18:09

I can't find anything remotely near this question mentioned on the forum. I guess there's two parts:

1) Is it ok to (try and) build a bot and play it on the site? It would play gunboat only. Actually I realise that from everyone else's perspective (in the game), they couldn't possibly know if it's a bot or a (probably bad) player, but as this idea is just for fun, a personal challenge, I don't want to somehow upset someone by doing this.

2) Secondly, I'm assuming it'd play on my account, to avoid multi-accounting. I'm wondering if this is acceptable, because the bot will almost certainly play worse than myself. I don't mind this, but again I want to be sure that it won't annoy my opponents.

For the record - it'll be a long time before this actually might happen - I haven't even yet started. I've finally made an orthello bot that can beat myself, and that took a long long time, and frankly diplomacy is going to be magnitudes harder to code than orthello. I just want to ask before starting to save myself time if the answer is that I can't use it here.

Anyway, is this reasonable?
megan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1030)
All-game rating: (1514)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Bot?

Postby rick.leeds » 26 May 2013, 18:24

Well, THIS is a new one... :shock:

I don't really see why not, if it is playing from your account. I would rather see it in NO RANK or - better yet - FRIENDS games (which would have the added benefit of protecting your account from points hits). I was going to say that put it in games and make sure that other players know it is a bot... but that would pretty much defeat the object ;)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)

Postby sinnybee » 26 May 2013, 18:34

Awesome!
I was actually thinking about how fun it would be to make a Diplomacy gunboat AI/bot the other week when reading about a Diplomacy game in which the AI was said to be bad. Then, I started to lose interest when I thought about how challenging that that would be.
Good luck with that!

If and when you are able to start testing out the bot on a real game, I would actually try the Norank and not the Friends class of games, so that it could add to reliability and lack of surrender stats, without risk of hurting your rating.
Friends games would of course be fine too, and if you wanted to try it out in a significant number of games, you'd probably have a hard time doing so even with Norank and Friends games, as there aren't a lot of games of either.
Last edited by sinnybee on 26 May 2013, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby megan » 26 May 2013, 18:42

rick.leeds wrote:Well, THIS is a new one... :shock:

I don't really see why not, if it is playing from your account. I would rather see it in NO RANK or - better yet - FRIENDS games (which would have the added benefit of protecting your account from points hits). I was going to say that put it in games and make sure that other players know it is a bot... but that would pretty much defeat the object ;)

Thanks - that's reassuring :) I'll have a think about whether I'd advertise it or join a no-rank, but if I did advertise it I think it would have to be sort-of anonymous (ie who is playing what country, even if all the players were known).

sinnybee wrote:Awesome!
I was actually thinking about how fun it would be to make a Diplomacy gunboat AI/bot the other week when reading about a Diplomacy game in which the AI was said to be bad.
Good luck with that!

If and when you are able to start testing out the bot on a real game, I would actually try the Norank and not the Friends class of games, so that it could add to reliability and lack of surrender stats, without risk of hurting your rating.

Cheers for the support :D I also suspect it'll have more of a test (of ability) in a no-rank than friends? But I've never played either, so I don't know if that's true.

You could always try making one too, if you're interested enough?
megan

Postby sinnybee » 26 May 2013, 18:52

megan wrote:I'll have a think about whether I'd advertise it or join a no-rank, but if I did advertise it I think it would have to be sort-of anonymous (ie who is playing what country, even if all the players were known).

All gunboat games are also anonymous.

megan wrote:Cheers for the support :D I also suspect it'll have more of a test (of ability) in a no-rank than friends? But I've never played either, so I don't know if that's true.

You could always try making one too, if you're interested enough?

See the edits of my last post.
Friends games allow prearranged alliances and metagaming (though the players should be aware of this), which are not allowed in Norank games. Friends games are less likely to be monitored. Friends game turns and surrenders don't get reported on statistics.
Last edited by sinnybee on 26 May 2013, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby bleedpurpleandgold » 26 May 2013, 18:56

When you finish, you should try to get special permission from the mods to make 6 more accounts and pit 7 bots against each other :lol:
Gold member of The Classicists
bleedpurpleandgold

Standard rating: (899)
All-game rating: (922)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby megan » 26 May 2013, 19:01

Cool sinnybee, that all makes sense :)

bleedpurpleandgold wrote:When you finish, you should try to get special permission from the mods to make 6 more accounts and pit 7 bots against each other :lol:

I'd predict a draw with Turkey as the largest power ;)
megan

Postby Xildur » 26 May 2013, 19:23

Why do you need to do that?
I think there is an offline Diplomacy Game that give you experience in playing against Computer.
Just a Gamer looking for some fun
Xildur

Standard rating: (1046)
All-game rating: (1046)

Postby jaelis » 26 May 2013, 19:25

Are you familiar with the DAIDE project? Probably a good place to start on this kind of thing.
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 26 May 2013, 20:06

Xildur wrote:Why do you need to do that?
I think there is an offline Diplomacy Game that give you experience in playing against Computer.

The OP doesn't need to, but was wanting to think about doing so, not for playing against AI but rather for creating it.
Also, I already mentioned a/the Diplomacy computer game in which a reviewer said that the AI was bad.
sinnybee

Next

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use