When does poor sportsmanship become unfair play?

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

When does poor sportsmanship become unfair play?

Postby YoYoDyne » 18 Aug 2019, 00:27

I’m in a game where Turkey, France and Germany are the remaining survivors. F and G, allied since the start, gained the stalemate position when T got to 17. T then backed off yielding centers and space to G which F and G interpret as a gambit to break the alliance (which T has repeatedly tried via diplomacy). F and G are holding position and repeatedly proposing 3-way draws. T refuses to finalize and shuffles his units around, not attacking. T isn’t breaking any site rules, I don’t think, but it increasingly looks like bad sportsmanship. If T’s strategy is to string it out until F or G is forced to surrender or find a replacement due to real life schedule demands, then it feels like a violation of the spirit of the game. Appreciate any perspective, including whether there is recourse.

Yoyodyne
YoYoDyne
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1378
All-game rating: 1331
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: When does poor sportsmanship become unfair play?

Postby WHSeward » 18 Aug 2019, 00:34

After 3 game years if no SCs have traded hands, then you can call a deadlock to get the game ended.

The entire procedure is detailed online here.

PM me if/when your game qualifies and I'll look at it for you.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby YoYoDyne » 18 Aug 2019, 01:27

thank you!
YoYoDyne
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1378
All-game rating: 1331
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Mr.E » 18 Aug 2019, 16:01

I think it's going to be hard to prove, or should be hard to prove, if Turkey is giving ground. And I'm not sure who is being accused of bad sportsmanship here. If Turkey is giving another power the chance to steal SCs, and they aren't taking it, is that because they are holding to an alliance no matter what, or because a solo isn't possible?

I think there's a lot of detail here that we know, and that shouldn't be published in a live game, and more that we don't know, and probably should be left to a Mod to deal with.
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Mr.E
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 966
All-game rating: 1134
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jensen » 30 Aug 2019, 07:39

As the game has ended I'll share an opinion.

My pespective is that this is not bad sportsmanship. If Turkey is trying to entice one party to break from their alliance then this opens the opportunity for either a 2 way draw or even a Turkish solo if the other 2 aren't paying attention. This is a better result than a 3 way draw so it is entirely within the spirit of the game for turkey to employ such tactics.

Germany wants the game to end quickly. By not finalizing, Turkey is withholding something that Germany wants and thereby levering a resource they have access to. If Germany were to take the scs and / or break from the alliance with France, the game may come to a conclusion quicker. So once again, if Turkey is merely employing a negotiating tactic then this is entirely within the spirit of the game.

From the German perspective, if they take extra SCs they risk putting the french offside and if FT gang up on them then they miss out on the 2 way draw. Therfore, refusing to take the SCs is also not contrary to the spirit of the game.

All of this may result in a deadlock which is why the deadlock procedures are in place.
Jensen

Standard rating: 1318
All-game rating: 1322
Timezone: GMT

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use