Anonymous Game Question

Rules for playing on and using the site.
Forum rules
This section of the Forum is for the Site's rules.
If you have a question about how to play the game, please post in the RULES section of the Forum, not here. The site's rules for standard Dip do not substantially differ from published rules.

Anonymous Game Question

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 10 Mar 2018, 14:36

I'm in an anonymous game, but I've figured out who someone is. And I know something about that player's tendencies from a previous game.

So the question is, is it fair to warn other powers regarding what you think that player's strategy might be for the current game? Or would that be considered metagaming?
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymous Game Question

Postby Iggy » 10 Mar 2018, 17:21

"Figured out" can have a lot of meanings. It's not illegal to try to guess who someone is. It's also not illegal to tell someone what you "think" another player is doing, whether you know who that person is or not. You could be wrong on both counts.

That said, there is a bit "slippery slope" or "grey area" you seem to be touching on - making decisions in a current game based on previous game experiences. Being cautious of someone you know to be treacherous is ok. Likewise, having a certain comfort level with someone from previous experience can't be helped. But there is a line of using previous games to decide this games fate that is strictly against the rules. As long as that's not the case, you should be good - but I'm not a mod so take that for what it's worth...
Iggy
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1195
All-game rating: 1276
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gareth66 » 10 Mar 2018, 17:27

The anonymity aspect is a bit of a red herring here. It is the case, in ANY ranked game, that referencing previous games to try to influence players’ decisions towards another player in a game, based on conduct in previous games, is a breach of the metagaming rules.

As far as the anonymity bit is concered, it is ok to talk to other players about your suspicions of who that player might be. But if you know for certain based on out-of-game factors, you should not bring that knowledge into the game. Arguably, depending on how it happened, the fact that you know for certain may itself have involved a technical breach of the rules governing anonymous games.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby Dolph Shtoss » 11 Mar 2018, 03:19

Well, I'm 95% sure of who this person is, not because of "outside factors", but because I've played him a few times and recognize the messaging style. But it sounds like what I was thinking of doing is too close to the border of meta-gaming, so I'll be sure to keep the messaging more general and about my experiences against certain powers.
Use me, don't abuse me.
If I have PMs, don't open them unless you expect to see them!
Dolph Shtoss

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Malachite » 04 Apr 2018, 21:19

gareth66 wrote:The anonymity aspect is a bit of a red herring here. It is the case, in ANY ranked game, that referencing previous games to try to influence players’ decisions towards another player in a game, based on conduct in previous games, is a breach of the metagaming rules.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but even the new player guide this site has encourages this kind of metagaming, as "Questions You Should Ask the Other Players in Spring 1901" tells you to ask the other players if they've played together. Actually, two of the three questions it tells you to ask ("Have you played with any of these players before, and how did it go?" & "How long have you been playing?") seem to be kind of metagame-ish.

So are the actual rules stricter than that, and if they are, should the guide be revised a little?

I'm somewhat confused by all this, and I'm sorry if I'm posting something stupid here. It just seems like the mods are quite strict when it comes to metagaming, but I feel that in practice players are a little bit laxer when it comes to talking about their/your previous games. :oops:
Malachite

Standard rating: 1226
All-game rating: 1237
Timezone: GMT+2

Return to Rules for Fair Play and Fair Use