Diplomatic victory strategy?

Discussion about any other games you are playing, online or offline.

Diplomatic victory strategy?

Postby pikaugrils4 » 30 Aug 2020, 09:17

So I was watching quill18's lets play and it appears that the AI is pretty good at ganging up on you and preventing you from getting the last victory points you need in the world congress. Have you seen any mechanics that would help get you across the finish line?
pikaugrils4

Re: Diplomatic victory strategy?

Postby condude1 » 31 Aug 2020, 20:41

Hey there Pika!

You'll find that sort of behaviour even more common among players! Stalemate lines are to diplomacy as endgames are to chess. Most games end up in a confrontation across one of 3 or so lines. The best way to deal with them is to know the centers you need to win ahead of time. There are a couple really important arenas:

In Germany, Munich and Berlin are often battleground centers, with lines running on either side of them. Grabbing these up preferentially if you can is a good idea.
Italy and Tunisia are also very important. Tunisia often is the difference between 17 and 18 centers. This is another common battleground.

This means that if you think you can dominate your half of the board (West or East of Germany and Italy, as a super rough rule of thumb), try to push past the above centers, or at least claim as many as you can. Except for weird lines (You can try to hold Scandinavia if you don't think you can defend 18 others from the South - there technically is at least one line there), St. Petersburg and Scandinavia will end up in the control of whoever controls Britain. Honestly, Russia solos can often occur while missing St. Petersburg if there's a strong England!

This is purely from my experience, however. 90% of stalemate lines I see are some version of the one that runs through Germany and Italy.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby BlueBorjigin » 01 Sep 2020, 10:01

Pikau is talking about Civ (probably Civ 5), not Dip. It would have probably been helpful for him to state that somewhere in his message :lol:
BlueBorjigin

Standard rating: (1175)
All-game rating: (1192)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby condude1 » 01 Sep 2020, 20:49

BlueBorjigin wrote:Pikau is talking about Civ (probably Civ 5), not Dip. It would have probably been helpful for him to state that somewhere in his message :lol:

Oh, crap. I could ramble about that too, but I think I'm just going to bow out before I dig my hole any deeper... :P
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Games you Play