Twilight Struggle

Discussion about any other games you are playing, online or offline.

Re: Twilight Struggle

Postby Cardlinger » 28 Jul 2017, 09:58

I hope you do, marsman! Really enjoying the game on the phone, the AI is a little ropey at times (sometimes commits DEFCON suicide) but still fun.

I think it's more fun as the USA as as a general rule, USSR gets off to a stronger start, so you need more tenacity as USA and a willingness to find yourself 5, 10 or 15 points down at any given point and still haul a win back.

Have played about 550 games now on the phone, winrate as USSR is up in the mid-90%, USA is ~88% and rising. Overall percentage between 90 and 91%. Suggests a) the AI isn't great, especially as USA and b) it's not finely balanced - having played some network games with real people (a much worse record there, think I'm 4-5 as USSR and 4-4 as USA!), the bid system usually gives USA 1-2 extra influence at the start, usually going into Italy and/or Iran.

Anyway, a great game, the chance elements in coups, realignments and space racing etc. isn't all that bad, there's still plenty of skill involved. If you want something "chancier" than Diplomacy this is a great game to pick!

Best,
Cardlinger
Cardlinger

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1093)
All-game rating: (1106)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 04 Jan 2018, 00:30

Any of you guys playing this as the app?

It's on sale for iPad for 2.99 and droid for 5.99

The AI is solid and will beat you if you don't play right....especially as you learn...which is about all you can ask for an AI in this style of game.

If any of you guys do play this via the app (its also available on STEAM) hit me up. My username is the same as it is here and I'd be happy to play
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby JimHacker » 02 Oct 2019, 11:18

My favorite event in TS is "Indo-Pakistani War": India or Pakistan invades the other (Player's Choice). Any of you have favorite cards or events? Whether because of the way they interact with the game or just because they're hilarious.
JimHacker

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (952)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby 0wl » 22 Jul 2020, 01:23

I love Twilight struggle! I play on steam. Early on I was losing almost all the time and got very frustrated, this is one of my favorite board game, why do I always lose?

But then practiced and studied good advice from skilled players and managed to get ranked above 1850 on steam. Don't wait until after Degaul or Suez crisis to put influence in France!
0wl

Standard rating: 1852
All-game rating: 1882

Postby 0wl » 22 Jul 2020, 01:24

I actually got a lot of great ideas to improve my skill from Chinese players.
0wl

Standard rating: 1852
All-game rating: 1882

Previous

Return to Games you Play