Voluntarily withdrawing from Classicist

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Voluntarily withdrawing from Classicist

Postby VegaMan » 08 Mar 2014, 12:51

Too pissed off. I quit a game.... on purpose..... and can't promise I won't quit a second one soon either.
"Nothing cheaper than something free"
VegaMan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1212)
All-game rating: (1148)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Voluntarily withdrawing from Classicist

Postby Thumpington » 08 Mar 2014, 13:06

I know how it can feel, I'm certain anyone who has played enough games has got pissed off with all the other everyone at some point. Remember Dip can be a rough and tough game. The only suggestion I would give is that do NOT surrender! Do NOT give your enemies the satisfaction of seeing that message pop up in the press box.... fight to the last and make them work for it!
Fortune Favours The Flexible.
Thumpington

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1650)
All-game rating: (1796)
Timezone: GMT

Postby VegaMan » 08 Mar 2014, 13:11

Thumpington wrote:I know how it can feel, I'm certain anyone who has played enough games has got pissed off with all the other everyone at some point. Remember Dip can be a rough and tough game. The only suggestion I would give is that do NOT surrender! Do NOT give your enemies the satisfaction of seeing that message pop up in the press box.... fight to the last and make them work for it!

Has nothing to do with getting outplayed. I'm fine with that.

It does have everything to do with triple checked orders not going through.

I'm so pissed off I've been up since 4 AM (EST) and can't go back to sleep. 2 times in 2 days this has happened.
VegaMan

Postby socratease » 08 Mar 2014, 13:22

VegaMan wrote:Has nothing to do with getting outplayed. I'm fine with that.

I'm so pissed off I've been up since 4 AM (EST) and can't go back to sleep. 2 times in 2 days this has happened.

My sympathies if site-originated mis-processing of orders is at issue. Twice in two days sounds serious, was there no resolution by posting in Bugs? Which game(s) was(were) so affected?
socratease

Standard rating: 1757
All-game rating: 1980
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby VegaMan » 08 Mar 2014, 13:37

socratease wrote:

My sympathies if site-originated mis-processing of orders is at issue. Twice in two days sounds serious, was there no resolution by posting in Bugs?

no the first time I was like "my bad" because I didn't double check my orders and assumed everything I clicked was accurate..... I got a LOT of wrong/illegal orders but the damage wasn't too bad.

So I made triple sure my orders were correct today. I wake up to grab some water and figured I'd check my game while I drink it.... half my orders gone. Specifically the ones I had to reissue multiple times to get it to show up right. I ended up losing critical positioning. It's an anon game so I couldn't post in bugs with any details but I sent dipsy a PM. Put in a draw offer with my opponents and was rejected. Said fuck it and surrendered since I'm not going to keep playing a losing game with the game itself against me. So I'm in one other remaining game (ironically the game this problem first reared its head). If it happens again I'm out of this one and not joining any more games for awhile.

The problem is that the last few days have been glitchy. Lag on the site has been screwing up my orders to where I have to reissue the orders 6-7 times. I suspect the site just said "screw it I'm ignoring you since you can't make up your damn mind." The orders that were right the first time that didn't need to be reissued went through fine ( except one not right order I specifically remember changing). Everything else was replaced with a flat out hold order as if the site never even received the reissued orders.
VegaMan

Postby socratease » 08 Mar 2014, 13:49

VegaMan wrote:
socratease wrote:

My sympathies if site-originated mis-processing of orders is at issue. Twice in two days sounds serious, was there no resolution by posting in Bugs?

no the first time I was like "my bad" because I didn't double check my orders and assumed everything I clicked was accurate..... I got a LOT of wrong/illegal orders but the damage wasn't too bad.

So I made triple sure my orders were correct today. I wake up to grab some water and figured I'd check my game while I drink it.... half my orders gone. Specifically the ones I had to reissue multiple times to get it to show up right. I ended up losing critical positioning. It's an anon game so I couldn't post in bugs with any details but I sent dipsy a PM. Put in a draw offer with my opponents and was rejected. Said fuck it and surrendered since I'm not going to keep playing a losing game with the game itself against me. So I'm in one other remaining game (ironically the game this problem first reared its head). If it happens again I'm out of this one and not joining any more games for awhile.

The problem is that the last few days have been glitchy. Lag on the site has been screwing up my orders to where I have to reissue the orders 6-7 times. I suspect the site just said "screw it I'm ignoring you since you can't make up your damn mind." The orders that were right the first time that didn't need to be reissued went through fine ( except one not right order I specifically remember changing). Everything else was replaced with a flat out hold order as if the site never even received the reissued orders.

Wow. Sounds like a Bug Report is most definitely in order, anon game(s) or no.
socratease

Postby VegaMan » 08 Mar 2014, 14:05

I'm still fuming about this.... I was well on my way to soloing..... then this happens and all that hard work and careful planning gone because of some external factor I have no control over and can not prove.

I need to go destroy something..... I'm going to go chop a tree down.
VegaMan

Postby socratease » 08 Mar 2014, 14:10

VegaMan wrote:I'm still fuming about this.... I was well on my way to soloing..... then this happens and all that hard work and careful planning gone because of some external factor I have no control over and can not prove.

I need to go destroy something..... I'm going to go chop a tree down.

I've found that breaking lots of empty (glass) flasks in my lab provides similar, though admittedly temporary, relief.

I urge a formal Bugs report, if not already filed.
socratease

Postby Clem756 » 08 Mar 2014, 14:47

I've been having the same kind of issues during a live game. My orders went messed up twice, causing my only ally to betray me. It also happens during Friends two-player games, where my opponent and me get the same issues.
It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, ahh... You really want to surrender.
Français et fier de l'être!
Clem756

Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1112)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby gareth66 » 08 Mar 2014, 15:02

Going to hold off doing anything about this from a Classicists perspective until Dipsy has had a chance to look into what happened. I feel for VegaMan in this situation, and always have huge respect for any member of the Classicists that self-reports like this.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Next

Return to Classicists