New Aspiring Tier Operational

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille

New Aspiring Tier Operational

Postby gareth66 » 06 Nov 2013, 18:04

The new Aspiring Tier of membership is now operational. Players who are in tune with our values, but who do not yet qualify for Bronze membership, can now become Aspiring members of the Classicists and so register their commitment to what the Classicists stand for on a list of like-minded players.

Existing members should note that the meaning of Strict and Casual when setting up Classicist games has been redefined. Strict games are those that only Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum members may set up or be admitted to. Casual games are those that additionally Aspiring members may set up or be admitted to.

I hope that this will result in more Casual games being set up and that our new members will be made to feel welcome. Please note that there is no longer, therefore, a facility for Classicist games to be opened up to players who are not at least Aspiring members. Games that members wish to be open to the wider community should not be billed as Classicist games and should be advertised in the general Games forum rather than the Classicist sub-forum.

Members setting up Classicist games are reminded of the need to password-protect those games, to specify whether the games are Strict or Casual, and to check players against the membership lists before issuing the password.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Re: New Aspiring Tier Operational

Postby socratease » 18 Nov 2013, 01:13

Is there already a list of Aspiring members so applicants to new games can be checked easily? EDIT: yes there is, should have looked first.

I would like to set up a Casual game, password-protected to ensure Classicists. Must I only advertise on the Classisicst forum, or is it sufficient to create the game with proper description and advertise normally?
socratease

Standard rating: (1715)
All-game rating: (1958)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby gareth66 » 18 Nov 2013, 10:27

Good question that socratease. You should certainly advertise the game in the Games Looking for Players section of the Classicist sub-forum. Instructions for how to set up and advertise a Classicist game are in the stickied thread at the top of that forum and are also summarised in the red box at the top of that forum.

However, as to the question about can you also advertise it in the main Games area of the general forum, I don't see why you couldn't post something in there perhaps referring Classicists to your post in the sub-forum. But I'm sure that if Pedros or Petunia have a different viewpoint they will soon let you know!

Glad you're going to set up a game - hope you don't have to wait too long for it to fill, but be prepared for it to take longer than normal games do. Might even consider it myself if the configuration suits. Good luck!
gareth66

Postby socratease » 18 Nov 2013, 18:10

Done, 71493. Casual Classicist created and advertised in both places.

Maybe this will help swell the ranks of the Aspiring tier :)
socratease

Postby Petunia » 18 Nov 2013, 20:44

Good plan.

For the record I have no problem with posts in the Games forum advertising games for specific groups, clubs or types of players. It's much easier to generate interest there than in any of the numerous and less populated sub-sub-sub-forums etc.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby gareth66 » 18 Nov 2013, 22:05

Well done socratease - and as you say if this encourages a few more players to become members then that would be great. Petunia - thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.
gareth66

Postby socratease » 18 Nov 2013, 22:51

@ Petunia - thanks for the post, glad it suits.

@gareth66 - looks like maybe posting in the general "Games" is helping, up to 4/7 players (+1 pending, PM sent) already. I'll ask everyone which place they saw the game advertised so we'll have a better feel.
socratease

Postby socratease » 18 Nov 2013, 23:40

Strange, I unsubscribed from the game in order to see how it appeared in the "Join Game" listing - but it didn't show up. Then I tried to find it by game number 71493, and "no open games" message appeared.

How do I find it and re-subscribe?
socratease

Postby gareth66 » 18 Nov 2013, 23:44

Oh dear socratease - you've blundered I'm afraid. Once you unsubscribe from a game you cannot go back into it. I guess you could try PMing Dipsy but he may not be able to do anything about it. What a pity. If he can't you could always create another one with the same settings and name, just with a different number, and invite the players who have signed up to move across to the new one.
gareth66

Postby socratease » 18 Nov 2013, 23:49

gareth66 wrote:Oh dear socratease - you've blundered I'm afraid. Once you unsubscribe from a game you cannot go back into it. I guess you could try PMing Dipsy but he may not be able to do anything about it. What a pity. If he can't you could always create another one with the same settings and name, just with a different number, and invite the players who have signed up to move across to the new one.

Wow, that restriction should be published somewhere - haha, it probably is and I just haven't seen it. Grr, newbie mistakes again...

thanks for letting me know, I'll try PMing dipsy first, then re-create if necessary.
socratease

Return to Classicists