Comments or Questions on the Classicists

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby ninjaruler » 13 Jul 2011, 20:37

raphtown wrote:
ninjaruler wrote:so I was wondering if I could join the classicists, I am pretty sure that I am eligible, the only thing that I am not sure about is the no surrenders in the last five games, I am pretty sure that i don't have any(in the last five games) but idk how to check.

You should ask a moderator to check when your last surrender was, and then let me know that when you apply via PM.

actually I figured a way to find it and I still need like 3 games till I have 5 with no surrender, So it might be a bit.... :(
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler
 
Posts: 7535
Joined: 19 May 2011, 21:45
Location: Gone with the wind.
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby Freddafred » 05 Dec 2011, 17:53

If you take up a surrendered countries spot then immediately surrender does it count as a surrender?
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Freddafred is smart
Italy in Crowded
Carthage in Ancient Med
Barbarians in Haven
Mexico in WW4
Vandals in Barbaria
Spain in Conquest
III3
Italy in Modern
Russia in Stew
Mordor in MEBR
England in 3 turn
USSR in Versailles 3
The Greecians in ECYOC
Zarami in FCYOC
User avatar
Freddafred
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 20:00
Location: In the world or on Mars or on the forum.
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby Niakan » 07 Dec 2011, 11:50

Freddafred wrote:If you take up a surrendered countries spot then immediately surrender does it count as a surrender?



Indeed it does.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
User avatar
Niakan
 
Posts: 4453
Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 16:23
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby vsz » 07 Apr 2012, 16:39

I'm interested in becoming a member, however, there are a few things I don't understand.
1. Do no-rank games count?
2. Do special games/rule variations (for example, less than 7 players) count?

I'm currently locked in very long games, with a few other players having NMRs so it's not uncommon for a game year to last 1 month IRL. I still held the principle of not surrendering when I have no chance of winning: If I'm reduced to one army, I still actively participate in the discussion, try strategies, etc., but in the current games it seems nobody will answer me at all if I'm reduced to 1 army. Even if that one army could decide if it helps or hinders them keeping/acquiring an important SC. Is it correct to surrender in such a situation?
vsz
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 18:06
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby asudevil » 07 Apr 2012, 18:22

vsz wrote:I'm interested in becoming a member, however, there are a few things I don't understand.
1. Do no-rank games count?
2. Do special games/rule variations (for example, less than 7 players) count?

I'm currently locked in very long games, with a few other players having NMRs so it's not uncommon for a game year to last 1 month IRL. I still held the principle of not surrendering when I have no chance of winning: If I'm reduced to one army, I still actively participate in the discussion, try strategies, etc., but in the current games it seems nobody will answer me at all if I'm reduced to 1 army. Even if that one army could decide if it helps or hinders them keeping/acquiring an important SC. Is it correct to surrender in such a situation?



No rank games count, but shorthanded games dont (or so I believe...)

I would say you still shouldnt surrender, but your right, its super frustrating.

I would almost...ALMOST encourage you to surrender, and find some games that have shorter deadlines and more reliable people.

We say no surrenders, but at the same time, to get in it only cant be your last 5 games, so if you go finish 5 games, you can get in no problem. If you do this I would say password protect the game, then post it on the forum with the password. Forum visitors are more reliable than non-forum users.

OR, you can pony up the 12Euros $17 American, go premium for the year, and get into more than 3 games at a time (Which I would naturally encourage)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
User avatar
asudevil
Premium Member
 
Posts: 16604
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 02:20
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby heegz » 15 Apr 2012, 15:25

How do I join the Classicists and what do I have to do?
OH ZEE LEDZ? Let's diplome…
User avatar
heegz
 
Posts: 29
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 19:27
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (972)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby asudevil » 15 Apr 2012, 15:32

heegz wrote:How do I join the Classicists and what do I have to do?


viewtopic.php?f=220&t=14593

Go there, look at admissions, but basically have 5 games done and dont surrender.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
User avatar
asudevil
Premium Member
 
Posts: 16604
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 02:20
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby DonLef » 22 May 2012, 11:34

Hi all, I want to join th Classicists in the future, but I read that you shouldn't have quit a game. Do the surrenders only count for ranked games or also for friends games? I have had two friends game in which one has been banned for cheating and the other probably quits because he can't win. That means I have to quit both games in order to start a new one. Do you also count these as two official surrenders?

ps. Btw, what does NMR means?
DonLef
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 02 May 2012, 17:14
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (912)
All-game rating: (902)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby asudevil » 22 May 2012, 14:50

DonLef wrote:Hi all, I want to join th Classicists in the future, but I read that you shouldn't have quit a game. Do the surrenders only count for ranked games or also for friends games? I have had two friends game in which one has been banned for cheating and the other probably quits because he can't win. That means I have to quit both games in order to start a new one. Do you also count these as two official surrenders?

ps. Btw, what does NMR means?


You have to say you havent surrendered the last 5 games. If you have a good reason for surrendering, they can be a little flexible, especially if they are friends games...But definitely dont quit a ranked game.

NMR means No Moves Recieved...It means that every season you enter moves with a 95% reliability (or whatever the cut-off is)
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
User avatar
asudevil
Premium Member
 
Posts: 16604
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 02:20
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby blazebbc » 22 Jul 2012, 01:18

I intend to join this group when eligible... I tend to only play in one or two games at a time as I want to make sure that I can fully commit myself to the game - frequent press, scheming, etc. However, playing only a game or two at a time, it will take a long time (a year?) before I have completed five games... I have played quite a bit on Bounced, but am not able to consistently find games with active players - too many folks that play press games as if they are gunboat! My question is: If I pick up a surrendered position and play it out, will that count towards my five?
Ally Extraordinaire
Intermational Medal of Honor Recipient
blazebbc
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 13 Jul 2012, 07:09
Location: Seattle, WA
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1122)
All-game rating: (1132)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Classicists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests