Comments or Questions on the Classicists

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby raphtown » 15 Feb 2011, 05:32

tarheel86 wrote:I am interested in joining the Classicists, though I do not yet have the minimum requirement of 5 completed games (when I do, I'll get back to you). So far, I have 0 surrenders and only 1 NMR (which was avoidable, I will admit).

I do have a question though. I am considering taking someone else's place temporarily (as a sub) in one game. Obviously, when the main player returns, I would be forced to surrender from said game. If I were to actually do this, would it prevent me from becoming a member of this group?

Since the surrender would be justified, it would not be a problem.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby VGhost » 21 Feb 2011, 23:18

In the interest of full disclosure, I feel like I should mention I missed a turn in the Geophysical forum game (Winter 3001 build - I'm Italy: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=271&t=18467&p=252156#p252156).
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 950
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Chironx » 23 Feb 2011, 11:13

Hi, I'm relatively new to this website, and I had the privilege of hearing about this group from someone I was playing with, and am interested in joining. However, I do have a question about the surrender rule though. Let's say that I was playing as Austria and got knocked out early. From the no surrender rule, does that mean that I would have to stay in that game until it ends? I ask this because I'm not a premium member and am therefore only restricted to 3 games at any one time. I find it would be a waste if I had to wait for the game to end when I can no longer play in it. I'm not sure if being completely knocked out counts as being in the game though, so I'm not sure if this is applicable. If someone could answer these questions, that would be great.
Chironx

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1572)
All-game rating: (1576)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby Mapmaker » 23 Feb 2011, 14:37

I believe that a game in which you aren't able to move anymore is not considered one of your three active games - try joining another game and see what happens. However, I expect that we could make an exception given the circumstances.
Bronze member of The Classicists.

We are not the lost nomads, we are the makers of maps.
Mapmaker

Standard rating: (1009)
All-game rating: (966)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 03 Mar 2011, 07:41

Once you're eliminated from a game, your option to surrender disappears anyway...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1754
All-game rating: 1664
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Jlet » 04 Mar 2011, 16:27

For some reason I can't pm you raph at the moment, but I wanted to tell you before I forget that I think I'm now platinum. I've played around 60 games and in my last 50 I've had one surrender 24 games ago and that actually wasn't me.
Member of The Classicists.
Jlet

Standard rating: (1247)
All-game rating: (1248)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby girolamo » 20 May 2011, 15:02

Hi guys,
I've just joined the Classicists and I already have a question for you :-)

What does it mean when a game is labeled as "Strict classicist"?

Thank you!
"They want you dead or in their lie. Only one thing a man can do. Find something that's his. Make an island for himself."
(from "The thin red line", by Terrence Malick)
girolamo

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Bwlvych » 20 May 2011, 15:19

Strict means only Classicists may join.
"I am Oswin Oswald. I fought the Daleks and I am human. Remember me."
Bwlvych

Standard rating: (1017)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT

Postby ninjaruler » 13 Jul 2011, 04:54

so I was wondering if I could join the classicists, I am pretty sure that I am eligible, the only thing that I am not sure about is the no surrenders in the last five games, I am pretty sure that i don't have any(in the last five games) but idk how to check.
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)

Postby raphtown » 13 Jul 2011, 19:55

ninjaruler wrote:so I was wondering if I could join the classicists, I am pretty sure that I am eligible, the only thing that I am not sure about is the no surrenders in the last five games, I am pretty sure that i don't have any(in the last five games) but idk how to check.

You should ask a moderator to check when your last surrender was, and then let me know that when you apply via PM.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

PreviousNext

Return to Classicists