Comments or Questions on the Classicists

An informal group of proven reliable players attempting to avoid games spoiled by missed orders.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Re: Comments or Questions on the Classicists

Postby raphtown » 24 Aug 2010, 02:49

Nonsense! You want to join, and if you can't even though you are a reliable, experienced player then we have failed as a group.

How about:
- A member who only does not meet the surrender requirements is admitted as Bronze, and is upgraded to his actual level (without account to surrenders, only NMR rate and experience) after x Classicist games without 2 or more consecutive NMRs and no surrenders.

Btw, I am quite busy at the moment, so I would appreciate it if someone could take the initiative, see what works, and then propose the amendment.
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby AndyCooke » 24 Aug 2010, 19:31

Okay. I propose a change to the Constitution to cope with the issues raised here. Please see: viewtopic.php?f=118&t=15020
http://xkcd.com/552/

Silver member of the Classicists
AndyCooke

Timezone: GMT

Postby General Byng » 10 Sep 2010, 11:32

I am intrigued by your group and it caught my eye. The only thing I somehow missed is the benefit of belonging to it. What does one gain from becoming a Classicist?
"Few people can see genius in someone who has offended them" - Robertson Davies
General Byng

Standard rating: (883)
All-game rating: (885)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Commander Cody » 10 Sep 2010, 23:05

General Byng wrote:I am intrigued by your group and it caught my eye. The only thing I somehow missed is the benefit of belonging to it. What does one gain from becoming a Classicist?

One gains the oppurtunity to play with expeirienced,reliable players.
`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´¨`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´Cody`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´¨`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´
.......¸¸,.‹•´¨`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´ `•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´¨`•›.,¸¸........
..........¸¸,.‹•´¨`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´`•›.,¸¸¸,.‹•´¨`•›.,¸¸............
:mrgreen: Shall 4EVER remind me of sevenoaks
Commander Cody

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Dar Krum » 13 Sep 2010, 04:07

I have been an extremely indifferent member of the Classicists. In fact, the only reason I joined in the first place was I love Springsteen and had to play in a game called Thunder Road. Any PlayDip Springsteen fan must have wanted the same thing...

That said, and I know this weeks old now, I just noticed that Sidney Kidney wished to join this group. I am unsure why, perhaps he wanted to join another Springsteen game, but the reason does not matter.

Said RT to SK:

raphtown wrote:Nonsense! You want to join, and if you can't even though you are a reliable, experienced player then we have failed as a group.

I am with RT. We have failed as a group. I have not checked SK's finished games, but if what he says is true (And I have NO REASON to think otherwise.), how can we refuse a long standing, highly respected, member of PlayDip entrance into this group?

I have alluded to this before, but this group is useful to those of you (us) who do not want to do any background checks on the players you play with. A few minutes checking stats can tell you all the information that is necessary, from a stats perspective, on potential playmates. Indeed, the only time that this group is useful is when it admits someone like SK who, upon looking at his stats, looks unreliable. Knowing SK, and now, knowing why he surrendered so often, would ANY of you refuse a game with him, for any reason other than you fear his 40th over all ranking? (Like me.)

Raph is correct. Failing to admit SidneyKidney is a HUGE failure for this group as a whole.

EDIT -- I see that an amendment has been made. :oops: Assuming that SK still wants in, we will still have him? I did not change any of the above post as it still holds. Whether it is SK or any other reliable player.
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby raphtown » 13 Sep 2010, 06:00

Hey Dar Krum,

Thanks for expressing your concerns. However, as you have correctly observed an amendment has been made in an attempt to fix this admission problem. We shall see if it is successful. And yes, SidneyKidney could apply now and be admitted (as long as he hasn't surrendered in his past 5 games).
The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby SidneyKidney » 13 Sep 2010, 08:07

D'aww..... i've got a warm fuzzy feeling inside. But you still cant have Munich Krum ;)

Jokes aside I have now completed more games and so in my last 5 I have not surrendered. If I may join then yes I would like to. I didnt realize the motion had been passed though.
Helpful signature links.

That useful tool for testing out moves? Thats JDip.

Want to learn how to be an evil overlord? Check it out here.
SidneyKidney

Standard rating: (1095)
All-game rating: (1097)

Postby QueenOfHearts » 13 Sep 2010, 12:11

Go Springsteen! Thunder Road is actually one of his better songs I think
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´QoH`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´
`·.„¸¸¸„‹•*˜¨Always played, never won!˜°*•›„¸¸¸„.·´

Thanks to SidneyKidney for my sexy avatar. It has a copyright on it.
QueenOfHearts
Sponsor
Sponsor

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Dar Krum » 13 Sep 2010, 16:24

I think it is his best. And SK, I don't mind prying it from your cold, dead, fingers. ;)
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been,...If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods,...will have lived a noble life and live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius
Dar Krum

Standard rating: (1164)
All-game rating: (1115)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby AndyCooke » 11 Oct 2010, 22:34

A thought occurred: the membership tiers. Do they count Forum Games (such as 1900)?
The reason that I ask is that I've completed 7 standard games and one forum game (1900 II). I'm now in another standard game (No Surrender) and a Forum game (1900 IV) (Both are Classicist games).

If the Forum Games were counted, I'd be on 10 games when these are complete (and eligible for silver). Should they be counted?
http://xkcd.com/552/

Silver member of the Classicists
AndyCooke

PreviousNext

Return to Classicists