Personal Whipping results and a promo to play F2F

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Re: Personal Whipping results and a promo to play F2F

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 09 Apr 2019, 01:28

Well done asu, congratulations! Feels pretty great to top a board and break into the top-7, right? :D

Also want to echo what asu said about the camaraderie...it's a really, really easy group of people to hang out with, and the community really does a good job of welcoming newer players, especially at the smaller tournaments.

For anyone interested, here's a list of tournaments and FtF groups that I'm aware of: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=59231
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 09 Apr 2019, 02:02

nanooktheeskimo wrote:Well done asu, congratulations! Feels pretty great to top a board and break into the top-7, right? :D

Also want to echo what asu said about the camaraderie...it's a really, really easy group of people to hang out with, and the community really does a good job of welcoming newer players, especially at the smaller tournaments.

For anyone interested, here's a list of tournaments and FtF groups that I'm aware of: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=59231

Co top a board... My next goal would be to top a board guess we’ll see how that goes when the next three I want to go to are all going to be pretty big tournaments
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1447
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 09 Apr 2019, 02:35

asudevil wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:Well done asu, congratulations! Feels pretty great to top a board and break into the top-7, right? :D

Co top a board... My next goal would be to top a board guess we’ll see how that goes when the next three I want to go to are all going to be pretty big tournaments

Shh...in two to five years it’ll be a top when you tell the story ;)
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389

Postby asudevil » 09 Apr 2019, 06:21

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
asudevil wrote:

Shh...in two to five years it’ll be a top when you tell the story ;)

Please like Edi would ever forget a game. Although my heart damn near stopped when he had a misorder. Course he also was playing 2 boards like a boss.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 09 Apr 2019, 15:12

DJA is down in South Africa, which generally has easier flights to Europe than to North America. I've been told that the French tournaments tend to set up with a number of "cheat sheets" of common phrases and whatnot to help with translation.

Cheat sheets like: "pardon my French..." :P
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby GhostEcho » 11 Apr 2019, 01:26

I've found the most "metagaming" tends to happen in second rounds if you bad-luck into a couple good players who want to keep at the top/in striking range. In tournament play it totally makes sense, but I've (eventually) learned that it pays to keep tabs on who's leading over the weekend.

Nice write-up, btw. Want to try to make it out to Whipping next year.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 979

Postby sinnybee » 11 Apr 2019, 07:23

Welcome to playdip, Penelope!
I've seen you say hi to Pootleflump in the chatbox. I would talk to her more. She is from Scotland and has talked about Face-to-Face games in the UK, though many seem to be organized as a one-time gig and(/or) without multiple boards. I could refer you to others, but Pootle is more qualified to do so and I'll leave it up to her. I'll PM her.

Pootle is ranked #5 here and is an excellent player. I did horribly at WDC 2018, but used to be terrific at Face-to-Face and online. Durga, who's Canadian and from webdiplomacy, got 3rd place at WDC 2017 and she's currently the Tournament Director of the Online Diplomacy Championship. Kimpossible hasn't played Diplomacy for long, but she's really enjoyed getting into the FtF scene.

Some players say they treat women differently in Diplomacy, but I have seen little if any evidence of that in person. Also, I've heard little if any complaints from the five female friends (not including girls from playdip or WDC 2018) I've had who have played FtF Diplomacy locally.
You say that you've "played a lot of Face-to-Face games with school friends" though... I would say that I didn't notice much of a difference between WDC 2018 games and local games in terms of player interaction.

asudevil wrote:big gun (great guy)

Big Gun is a great guy in public spaces (no sarcasm).
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby jay65536 » 22 Apr 2019, 16:05

asudevil wrote:So into actual game play. Ill do some quick AARs just under the theory of being like…IT’S THE SAME GAME.

Yes! And it's tons of fun, right?? I'm glad to hear more people from this site are making it out to tournaments (even though right now I'm in a life-events-induced hiatus from playing).

It seems like playing SoS didn't really hinder your enjoyment of the games.

Also, when you said you don't like playing Turkey...I think you'll find more sympathy from FtF regulars than PD regulars. Turkey is not considered quite as strong in FtF play as it is on this site, although Italy is not considered quite as weak.

The Whipping TD must have been Siobhan Nolen. I've never played in California, so she's one of the few California players I know. She's been around the hobby for a long time and is well-liked and a strong player.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Postby asudevil » 22 Apr 2019, 17:29

Yeah FtF is a blast. It’s a different game.

SoS didn’t hinder my game, and probably got me better results since the board toppers were just trying to buy some differential between them and the rest. And the difference between a couple of 10 dot colead and 12 dots isn’t huge depending on how the other dots are laid out.

Yeah Siobhan runs whipping. I didn’t get to play with her in either tournament I’ve been to but I know I’ve heard she’s top notch.

I know FtF doesn’t mind Italy as much I just personally find them harder for me to play. I way prefer Austria to England.

Hopefully you’ll come out to Seattle this fall.

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby jay65536 » 22 Apr 2019, 17:41

I also prefer Austria to England.

I won't be playing in Seattle. I have no idea the next time I'll be able to make it to a tournament, but it won't be that one. If I ever go to the Pacific Northwest to play in a Diplomacy tournament, it would probably be Vancouver (I used to live there).

You've just hit on a lot of the reason why North American tournaments have mostly moved from draw-based scoring to lead-based or center/lead hybrid scoring (SoS is the latter). People just seem to have more fun when the tournament scores aren't defined by draw-whittling.
jay65536

Standard rating: 1120
All-game rating: 1126

Previous

Return to Face-to-Face