Personal Whipping results and a promo to play F2F

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

Personal Whipping results and a promo to play F2F

Postby asudevil » 08 Apr 2019, 19:44

Hey guys-

So I went to Whipping this last weekend which was a F2F tournament in San Jose. I went to the World Championship last fall in DC with many of you, but this was my first smaller tournament. I wanted to write this up to let you guys know how it went, and really to hopefully inspire at least a couple of you to go find a F2F tournament to go play in. So here’s a flow of consciousness of things that may only matter to me. Apparently it’s 3400 words long. I’m sorry

Nanook wrote a couple of these after his first tournaments a few years back. He described how he did pretty well and my first (incredibly cocky thought) was … “Fuck, Im better than he is…maybe I can go do this”. So I did in DC and I survived…but never really did great. But Whipping is close to home and WHSeward had been trying to get me to go there for a couple years (ironically he didn’t go at all and I haven’t seen him around in a while)…so I figured that was a good place to start.

So I figure I kinda want to let you guys know what to expect to mitigate some fears. I mean, Im not really the most social butterfly person so meeting new people and trying to become part of a group which has been playing together for years is super intimidating. The people at these tournaments are a mix of locals (who relatively all know each other) and travelers (who basically everyone knows). Going to DC almost didn’t even count cause I just got to hang out with fellow PlayDip people but this tournament I was all on my own.

So Friday night we hung out at a bar about a dozen of us (mostly the travelers who came into town) and just kind of chatted. It’s a lot of diplomacy talk and a lot of “things that happened at prior tournament” talk. But diplomacy players are natural story tellers. Even if you don’t know all the players involved, you understand the game and it’s still entertaining. There’s also just a lot of talk about life, sports, anything else that normal people talk about when you get together and hang out. They are super welcoming to new people. A couple recognized me from DC, many didn’t. I recognized more of them but that’s just based on putting faces to names that I have heard over the years. But it’s a GREAT way to get to know some of your fellow players and start to make new friends.

Saturday several people went out to breakfast together and basically every meal is a communal thing. It’s not a lot of doing things on your own and having to figure it out. But at the same time if you want to just wander and explore the city you can do that too. I ended up in town a day early and got to spend some time just wandering around and seeing the sights. Im probably going to try and make most tournaments that I go to like this where I get a day to wander and do touristy things because the flight is the same price so an extra night in a cheap place isn’t bad to travel to some newer places.

So into actual game play. Ill do some quick AARs just under the theory of being like…IT’S THE SAME GAME. Yes there are some differences. For those of you who don’t know, the game is played in 15 minutes. And while this seems super short, you’d be amazed at how much time that actually is. This tournament the tables got to decide their own timelines with a baseline of 15 minutes to negotiate and then 2 minutes of quiet writing orders time and then adjudication. DC was different because writing orders and adjudicating/retreats all had to be done during negotiating time and you only had an extra 60 seconds. So that was way more stressful, but I think other tournaments that aren’t trying to get so many people playing same time, do it this way. Then as the game progressed the table can agree to shorten the diplomacy time (we normally got down to 10 minutes).

So there were 3 table on Saturday and I got to pull Turkey. I know a lot of you guys would be stoked with that, but Turkey is not my favorite country. It’s so easy to get a 4th dot but without a friend it’s impossible to get 5. I had a Russia that wanted to run an RAT (which really squeezes me). Austria seemed like a good guy to work with and so we went with an A/T. I opened to Armenia while we both had told Russia we were down with an RAT so he opened with MOSC-STP. I get to take BLA in fall 01 and I have a friend in Austria. Austria had promised Italy support into Greece which he then took for himself setting A/I at odds for the rest of the game. Had they worked together, Im probably in a world of hurt. Austria even knew Italy from prior tournaments, but still chose me as his ally. This was always my biggest fear. How much metagaming between tournaments are there. Will I ever get a fair shake when guys already know each other and are friends? But if you are competent and make sense, they are a bunch of open minded guys.

————feel free to skip to the last paragraph if you just want the end and skip all the round AAR stuff——— also it’s fun cause after every round you basically just hash stuff out with people real time.

Unfortunately the killer is that Italy had moved to TYR and snuck into MUN. So he still got a build in 01. That build drops an army in VEN making Austria’s life very difficult. So we continue into 02 I take SEV and RUM from Russia. Italy picks off an SC from Austria with a nice convoy to ALB, but Im co-board lead with France…GO ME. Then we get to play “lets dance around SEV” for a while as Russia keeps trying to take it back. But Russia was down to 3 after I took it from him so he was never really a threat. But that build Italy got really was why we got a rough tempo. Worst part…Austria was the one to tell him to go for MUN. During this time I probably could have stabbed Austria for a dot or 2, but Austria then works with Italy and Russia and I don’t think I can hold them all back if they are working together. Austria is the better tactician of the 3 of them so with him on my side, we are able to outplay them.

By 04 Germany is basically out and England / France realize they are both at 7 (I was at 6) if they get their act together and stop attacking each other, they could come push HARD into the east. Italy is at 3, Russia still at 3 and Austria is at 4. In 04, I pick up another dot from someone, and R/I realize that if we work together we can probably hold them back and make a decent stalemate line keeping both R/I in the game with 3 dots each while the leaders would only be at about 8. We slowly slog to a line, Austria gets retreated from PIE but has to retreat into VEN. And JUST as we are about to force a pop of a French unit in MUN (while France crucially misorders BUR-MOS (instead of MUN)), Russia supports MUN-BOH letting France behind our line. Had this not happened, the game ends 9/8/7/6/2/2 E/F/T/A.

The game should have ended and I would have had a pretty decent 20 point outing as an opening round. Instead with France behind our line we debate how much longer we really want to keep playing. Instead we figure out a way to let F/E get up to 10 while Austria gets to 7 and I stay at 7 and end in 06 by finishing off Russia and Italy. I felt bad for Italy cause it’s not his fault he ended up eliminated, but he had to go to end the game. This cost me a couple points to give me only 16 but still a better result than anything I had in DC. Im still more than a little testy at Russia because I fail to see why he did it. But he didn’t see a point in staying alive at 2 or going out. So he said fuck it…Im hurting Turkey who hurt me. So basically the same level of spite that happens in our friendly online games with people throwing dots against people they are pissed at. See…same game…but FUCK was I pissed.

We go out to lunch with our table and another one that had finished at a similar time. Afterwards some other games / cards were played while we waited for our 6pm board call for the evening game.

So evening comes and some people had other plans so there are only 2 boards. After the first round though, I was in 8th. I draw England this time. Again, a lot of you are like, “man that’s a great pull”. But no. It’s my same issue as Turkey, 4 dots are easy, but can’t get a 5th without a friend. On my board is 2 time World Champion (and eventual tournament champion) Doug Moore in Russia and Doc Binder in Italy (another world champion). Well FUCK, at least Im kinda far away from them, and I fear for Austria/Italy.

Also on my board is Italy from my first game. He saw how well I treat my allies. I had the stab opportunities and didn’t take it cause I value a solid alliance. So France and I ally early. He supports a convoy of mine into Belgium in 01. So I get to be a 5 dot England in 01. This is again working out pretty well for me. I have a solid DMZ with Russia in the north so we don’t have to use a lot of units to defend and he’s not building north coast fleets. I take DEN in 02 from Germany and then in 03 I take HOL and KIE while Russia takes BER and France takes MUN. Germany goes from 4 to 0 in 03. I should be going to 8, France to 6 and we can start pushing east. I tell France to simultaneous move MAR-PIE and swing MAO-WestMed and build F MAR cause Austria was already down to 1 in 03, but Turkey was still holding at 3 and we would have help to start pressuring Doc in Italy.

Instead…France supports himself into BEL (which I walked out of to take HOL to show that I wanted to be his friend). So instead both France and I are at 7 and he builds F BRE and A PAR while I build F LON. His MAO fleet also takes the Channel. So instead of being in a great position to attack Italy…he decides to attack me. Thank God I guessed right on a 50/50 or I wouldn’t have had a build to hold the mainland. I guess right on a convoy attempt to Wales and then I get to watch Doc (Italy) help France write orders to attack me. But Italy also takes Munich from him. So after 3 years trying to position to take MUN…France loses MUN and Bel (to me) in 04, but still keeps attacking me. I BEG him to go after Italy and try to salvage this cause once Italy wraps up Turkey, he’s going to France. By then Austria is gone and Turkey is on his deathknell while I/R try to root him out of his homeland. But I/R are gaining dots faster than either France or I can gain an advantage on each other.

Russia then finally takes NOR from me (nothing I could do about it since even the token garrison I had there to keep him honest had to move against France). Russia just wants to be the board top. Realistically he could have easily taken DEN from me as well…and likely KIE, but in all reality he was a really good ally even when he took my dots, it was just to keep ahead of Italy. Eventually I end up being able to take POR from France while Italy takes MAR leaving France down to BRE/PAR/SPA. Italy likely can take Spain which would have had Russia take DEN, but they decide to call the game with a 12/11/8/3 final SC count. So another solid 3rd place. Another 19 or so points. Enough to be able to keep 7th or so heading into the final round.

Doc and Doug were great. They both said there was really nothing I could have done to get either to attack the other. They paced their growth to the east so that they were never really in position to attack each other. I think we could have really slowed down Italy if France doesn’t attack me in 03 and made it a different game. But then we DEFINITELY lock Doc/Doug together and tactically they destroy France and myself I think. I am lucky enough to stay at 8 cause Doug knew he couldn’t get too big for a solo run without Doc flipping, but at the same time I only got out of it with 8 because they both didn’t want to risk letting the other guy solo. Hey, guess that’s a win…fear of the other really good player. GO ME.

France buys me a drink to apologize for stabbing me and we sit at the bar for a while with Dog and Doc and some other players. Every night people stay out late hanging out and drinking and having a good time. They really are a friendly group of people.

Sunday morning comes and I get to be Italy…Are you FUCKING kidding…another country where 4 is easy … and 5 is hard. So basically I got to play the 3 countries I dislike the most. I’d WAY rather play Austria cause at least there are options. On my board is the Germany who I JUST hosed the day before in France, the Russia who I screwed in that first round (and spited me back) in Germany, Edi Birsan (world champ and hobby legend) in Turkey, and a new Russian who Edi taught the game too Saturday morning and had never played any game before this tournament.

Ok…so I have 2 choices…take out Edi first with Russia and Austria … and probably take SO long doing so with an inexperienced Russia and an experienced Austria…but it’s EDI…so….Yeah…or I just take out Austria and throw myself as Edi’s ally and go for it. Edi and I had worked together in DC and I misordered constantly in that game and he didn’t screw or stab me, so I figured I’d give it another shot with me being less incompetent. I told Edi my goal for the tournament was a co-board top. He said “let’s do it”. I knew that another decent score would put me into a pretty good overall position and I wanted to redeem myself from the DC fiasco. France had just seen how well I am at a DMZ after watching me do it with Doug the prior game so we decide to do that and Germany says he’ll give me another chance cause he saw how honest I am to allies (both Austria in the first game and France in the second…so figures maybe Im not a terrible guy).

So I know Austria is bouncing Russia in GAL which means that it can’t cover TRI, so I move right to TRI and move to VEN. In fall I move VEN-TYR cause even if Im dislodged I just move to BUD. I cut the SERB support for ALB-GRE allowing Turkey to bounce GRE and keeping Austria at 4 and I again get to end an 01 with 5 dots this time as Italy. Russia in 01 allows Germany to take SWE as he moves his fleet to Baltic but then builds in the north coast of STP. I was really worried that Edi would take Russia “under his wing” and just guide him to a decent score before stabbing him for a solo at the end. Edi builds a fleet in 01 which makes me a BIT nervous, but I understand the logic so that we can get GRE in 02.

In 02, Russia and Germany screw up taking Norway from England allowing England to hang onto NOR an extra year despite having both G/F attacking him. I get to bounce around Austria home SC taking SERB/BUD/whatever. Russia takes BUD for himself in 02 keeping me at 5 but then I get to take VIE and BUD in 03 while Austria runs to WAR and Turkey fully stabs Russia taking SEV and RUM. Germany takes TYR this year and France moves to North Africa. I also moved fleets to WestMed and retreat to PIE so I was ready for the next step. Unfortunately it was hard for me to both cover TRI (open from taking BUD and VIE) and still cover VEN so my pace was a bit slow. I was worried Turkey would see this as the time to stab me, but luckily Edi stayed true to his word and continue to help me while not just picking off easy SCs. The game would end with Edi in RUM and SERB and my empty dots in TRI/VIE/BUD while I pushed hard into Germany France and Edi kinda stalled around MOSC and WAR.

England helps me break into MAO which really put a nail into France while Turkey moves to ION to help me retake TUN that I would lose in spring. When then put Turkey into TYS in spring 05 and then GOL in fall to get him into the lead. This trust I think allowed Turkey to know I was thinking big picture and really cemented him to stick with me if he was ever really debating changing his mind. We push a bit further popping some units. France controls all of the English homeland while England had convoyed into BEL and then continued to try moving to BUR to cause problems while his fleet MAO (after I took BRE with his support) eventually helped me take Spain.

Game ended in 07 10/10/6/5/2/1…After France had his worst season…yet stayed even at 6 and got 2 builds due to forced disbands in spring and fall. We call the draw and I get my first board top in a tournament. I do some quick sum of squares math and realize that I also get Best Italy by 2 points over Doc Binder’s Italy (in my second game when he could have taken another dot off France…but didn’t) and Edi ends up taking Best Turkey (also by a couple points … ALSO over Doc Binder).

Final tally. I ended up 5th out of about 23ish players. Final scores aren’t up yet so I don’t know HOW close I was, but I have a cute little green teddy bear now sitting at my desk in a high school classroom.

And then some of us went to lunch before awards and a bunch went out after while waiting on planes.

If anyone actually read all of this…you get a magical eliminated Karma point. But seriously though. Go find a FtF tournament. If I can do it…you can do it. Im barely top 100 on this site. Im not that good. And it’s a TON of fun. Chicago is in a couple weeks. Boston this summer. Nanook pays more attention to when they all are. Ill be going to Seattle for the North American Championships the weekend after Labor Day in September. Games start 6pm Friday night. They already have over 40 people signed up. Ill be going to Whipping in 2020 when they host the 2020 North American Championships next April and Ill be doing Carnage in November 2020 for the World Championships. I would love to hit a couple more little ones if I can…cause I sure as hell won’t win any prizes at the big ones. But there’s plenty of options. There’s on in Montana, Vancouver, North Carolina, Washington DC. Philadelphia. It’s worth it. And I really want one in southern California so I can make one via a drive.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Personal Whipping results and a promo to play F2F

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 08 Apr 2019, 20:09

I don't get a full eliminated Karma point...but I do get most of one. It was a nice read! And someday, I'd like to go to a face to face tournament with strangers... ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby asudevil » 08 Apr 2019, 20:30

Don Juan of Austria wrote:I don't get a full eliminated Karma point...but I do get most of one. It was a nice read! And someday, I'd like to go to a face to face tournament with strangers... ;)

Strangers are just friends waiting to be met. There’s never a perfect time... so just go. I almost bailed out of this one cause life got busy but since I had already bought the airline tickets I was like fuck it... may as well go. Going to buy seattle soon for similar reasons. Money already spent... may as well go.

asudevil

Postby sinnybee » 08 Apr 2019, 21:50

asudevil wrote:For those of you who don’t know, the game is played in 15 minutes.

lol, that would be only like one minute per orders phase :o
One season/orders phase (Spring or Fall orders) is played in 15 minutes.

Three great results! Nice job!

I didn't get bored until the third AAR, so most of an imaginary karma point to me too lol.
Last edited by sinnybee on 08 Apr 2019, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)

Postby asudevil » 08 Apr 2019, 21:52

sinnybee wrote:
asudevil wrote:For those of you who don’t know, the game is played in 15 minutes.

lol, that would be only like one minute per orders phase :o
One season/orders phase (Spring or Fall orders) is played in 15 minutes.

Three great results! Nice job!

Blah blah blah... of course you’re right as always ;)

asudevil

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 08 Apr 2019, 21:53

Don Juan of Austria wrote:I don't get a full eliminated Karma point...but I do get most of one. It was a nice read! And someday, I'd like to go to a face to face tournament with strangers... ;)

The 2019 World Dipcon is going to be on an island off the coast of Marseilles, for what it's worth. If you can find an affordable plane ticket, the prices for the tourney itself (including room & board) are very affordable, since the whole thing is set up in a retreat center.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 08 Apr 2019, 21:54

NoPunIn10Did wrote:

The 2019 World Dipcon is going to be on an island off the coast of Marseilles, for what it's worth. If you can find an affordable plane ticket, the prices for the tourney itself (including room & board) are very affordable, since the whole thing is set up in a retreat center.

True, but I’ve heard if you don’t speak French, french players can be a bit harsher, so I wouldn’t do that as your first tournament... I don’t know where don is located at.

But 2021 worlds is rumored to be in Australia

asudevil

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 08 Apr 2019, 22:09

asudevil wrote:
NoPunIn10Did wrote:

True, but I’ve heard if you don’t speak French, french players can be a bit harsher, so I wouldn’t do that as your first tournament... I don’t know where don is located at.

But 2021 worlds is rumored to be in Australia

DJA is down in South Africa, which generally has easier flights to Europe than to North America. I've been told that the French tournaments tend to set up with a number of "cheat sheets" of common phrases and whatnot to help with translation.

One thing that could be a plus or a minus: their games are less time-consuming. They play very similar to C-Diplo (though with a much less conventional scoring system), and they terminate the game after seven years. I think each game is kept to 3.5-4 hours.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Penelope Pitstop » 08 Apr 2019, 23:07

Hello asudevil,

I'm a very new player on this website although I've played a lot of Face-to-Face games with school friends. I enjoyed reading your report and it was written well enough to keep me interested until the end. The descriptions of the games you played in, the allies, the stabs the general way things move around the board - were all very real and believable. I particularly enjoyed your Turkey-Italy duo (which is in itself rather unusual) with the legendary Edi Birsan, whose articles I devoured when I was a school kid. How I would love to play on a board with him! You are lucky. But you're obviously also an excellent player - there is no need for any self-deprecation. In all 3 games you played well.

It definitely feels encouraging to go to such a tournament and meet like-minded people. All the socialising and drinking also sounds great!

You mention lots of events in North America but none at all in the UK. Are most players from the Face-to-Face scene in America? I'm based in the UK. I've been in contact here with one or two players from the UK, but I've only heard of one tournament in Macclesfield. Do you know if there are others or how I could find out about them?

One more question please. Were there any ladies in Whipping and how did they do? Are female players generally easily accepted or just considered cannon-fodder?

Penelope
Penelope Pitstop
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1474
All-game rating: 1700
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 08 Apr 2019, 23:14

I have no clue about games in UK cause I’m not there. As was mentioned worlds this year is in Marseilles. 2 years ago it was in oxford. I know MacCon had a tournament that big gun (great guy) on site played at. Not sure how to find them. I’d pm him though. I think Denmark has some too.

As for females. The only one at whipping was the TD. She played to help numbers in round 3 and has been playing for years. Girls are just as respected as guys in the small sample size I have seen. In DC there was at least 5 that I can think of and they do as well as they would as a guy. I don’t think generally people care about what’s between your legs... but what’s between your ears.

Hope that helps

asudevil

Next

Return to Face-to-Face