A Question for the FtF-Tourney Community

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

A Question for the FtF-Tourney Community

Postby Shyvve » 25 Mar 2018, 02:38

My question is directed at those who play FtF Diplomacy at major tournaments/events. I am curious as to how modern messaging technology such as smartphones/tablets have impacted these events.

Is there any uniformity across these major tournaments regarding the use of:
-simple voice calls to one or more parties
-use of devices to communicate via phone to phone direct messaging/use of messaging platforms such as Slack, Spark, etc.
-using a device to take a picture of the current map after each adjudication

For lack of a better term, do the "Old Schoolers" frown upon such? If you're seen spending more time on your device messaging/talking etc. (provided the given tourney allows it), does this make you an insta-target?

Do some events allow it and some not?
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1313
All-game rating: 1345
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: A Question for the FtF-Tourney Community

Postby DQ » 25 Mar 2018, 03:04

Shyvve wrote:My question is directed at those who play FtF Diplomacy at major tournaments/events. I am curious as to how modern messaging technology such as smartphones/tablets have impacted these events.

Is there any uniformity across these major tournaments regarding the use of:
-simple voice calls to one or more parties
-use of devices to communicate via phone to phone direct messaging/use of messaging platforms such as Slack, Spark, etc.

For lack of a better term, do the "Old Schoolers" frown upon such? If you're seen spending more time on your device messaging/talking etc. (provided the given tourney allows it), does this make you an insta-target?

Do some events allow it and some not?

There are no restrictions on this - but no one communicates by phone/sms. There simply isn't enough time.

Taking pictures for negotiations has really taken off though! No need to carry a conference map when you have a high-res pic of the board state in your pocket!
Stab you soon!
DQ

Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 25 Mar 2018, 08:49

I haven't been to any F-t-F tournaments, or official get togethers... But just with friends that I play dip Face to Face with, WhatsApp (messaging) is great! True, it takes too much time, and most of the actual talking is done in another room, but every once in awhile when you want to put a suggestion in someone's ear without 5 people watching you go around the table and whisper to him...it's pretty handy. And you can forward messages. 8-) (which they can then broadcast onto a group chat) :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148

Postby Nanook » 25 Mar 2018, 10:19

Shyvve wrote:-simple voice calls to one or more parties

1. I think there was a dude that was the 7th player in a house game via Spark a month or two ago, so that's doable. As far as using it to talk to another person also physically there...why? I mean, isn't it just as quick to pull them aside to talk? And it's not like people can't figure out who you're talking to via simple observation and process of elimination anyways. So it's kind of unnecessary if everyone's in the same room.

2. Don't know that it's forbidden as long as it's not during build or retreat turns it's the same as passing a note, really. I'm thinking this is rare though, for the same reason that passing a note is only effective in very specific circumstances--it takes a lot longer to send a text and them read it than it does to pull someone aside and whisper in their ear.

3. Some players do this every turn--Katcher does it a lot, for example, and it can be very handy.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby DQ » 25 Mar 2018, 15:33

nanooktheeskimo wrote:

1. I think there was a dude that was the 7th player in a house game via Spark a month or two ago, so that's doable.

It was a bird, not a dude; she filled in at a PTKS house game last year. I keep saying we're going to have an all-spark game sometime, just haven't nailed down the date. :D
Stab you soon!
DQ

Standard rating: (1062)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby WarSmith » 25 Mar 2018, 15:58

Two things I noticed:
1) Taking a photo of the board which is great
2) SMSing someone to get them to leave an active conversation (with competing person) and join the sender at a different location.
The second one to me seems like cheating/metagaming.
However what Id be more concerned about with big tournaments is not the impact of technology on the game, but the impact of beer instead. Had a very major part to play in the last couple I was at. Massively influenced not only negotiations/relations but also had an impact on fatigue of a few people into latter rounds :)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1754
All-game rating: 1664
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Nanook » 25 Mar 2018, 19:07

DQ wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:

1. I think there was a dude that was the 7th player in a house game via Spark a month or two ago, so that's doable.

It was a bird, not a dude; she filled in at a PTKS house game last year. I keep saying we're going to have an all-spark game sometime, just haven't nailed down the date. :D

I was thinking of Pedone, actually--didn't he do this just this just recently? I thought he did, anyways.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Shyvve » 25 Mar 2018, 20:25

Thanks for the quick feedback on this. Never having played FtF in a competitive setting, I can see how every second of those 15-minutes of negotiating time is precious. With my fat fingers, trying to type on a phone would be an extremely inefficient use of time, :lol:

But, OTOH, I could see how a very short support order being received or sent at like two minutes until the deadline would certainly increase the drama! Also, this wouldn't require the "poker face" skills aspect if said message turned out to be a deception. You'd just have to deal with that during the next 15 minutes, lol.
An Oldie and Gold Classicist. Moderator for the Classicist group.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1313
All-game rating: 1345
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Face-to-Face