2018 North American FtF Tournaments (and some house games!)

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

2018 North American FtF Tournaments (and some house games!)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 18 Nov 2017, 08:47

These are the ones that I know about, at least, ranging from the World Diplomacy Championship to smaller, two or three boards per round affairs. If you know about one that I missed, let me know and I'll add it to the list. I highly recommend getting out to one of these if you have the opportunity to, they're a real blast and a great group of people. Note that I have zero idea when any European tournaments are, you're on your own ;) Several of these are part of broader board gaming conventions, but many dedicated FtF events include the opportunity to play other games between rounds as well, if that's something that appeals to you.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, Jan 27-28, Cascadia Open. Contact: Chris Brand. (Finished!)

Marlborough, MA, Feb 23-25, TotalCon. Contact: Randy Laurence-Hurt. (Finished!)

San Jose, CA, March 31-April 1, Whipping Diplomacy Tournament. Contact: Siobhan Nolen, or whipping@bayareadiplomacy.com (Finished!)

Catonsville, MD (near Baltimore), April 14, House game! Contact: DQ

Glen Ellyn, IL, April 13-15, CodCon. Contact: wcwsneak@gmail.com. (Finished!)

Chapel Hill, NC, May 25-27, DixieCon. Contact: David Hood, DavidHood@dixiecon.com (Finished!)

Boston, MA, June 23-24, Boston Massacre. Contact: Randy Laurence-Hurt or contact@BostonMassacreDiplomacy.com (Finished!)

Philadelphia, PA, August 3-5, Liberty Cup (2017's website). Contact: Christian Pedone.

Indianapolis, IN, August 3-5, GenCon. Contact: Thomas Haver.

Chicago, IL, August 31-September 2, Weasel Moot (information will be here when available). Contact: wcwsneak@gmail.com.

Portland, OR, September 8-9, Portland Open. Contact: Doug Moore or Matt Shields. (Note: this is the only tournament on this list with no entry fee.)

Washington DC, October 5-7, World Diplomacy Championships at Tempest in a Teapot (information here!). Contact: Peter Yeargin or diplist@list.ptks.org.

Killington, VT, November 2-4, (CarnageCon). Contact: Robert Rousse.

I'll update these occasionally as more information is posted and websites are updated.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 2018 North American FtF Tournaments

Postby condude1 » 18 Nov 2017, 09:26

Might I recommend saying Vancouver, CAN, or Vancouver, BC? Currently it looks as though we're in California...

I also didn't know that there was a diplomacy tournament up here! I might look into that.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 18 Nov 2017, 09:27

condude1 wrote:Might I recommend saying Vancouver, CAN, or Vancouver, BC? Currently it looks as though we're in California...

I also didn't know that there was a diplomacy tournament up here! I might look into that.

Yikes! Good point. Went with both, just to make it abundantly clear.

I think it's relatively new, in its...I want to say third year, but I'm not really sure. Good luck to you if you go!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby integrity » 18 Nov 2017, 19:38

2018 will be the second year for Vancouver. In 2017 there were three boards per round.
integrity

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1022)
Timezone: GMT

Postby asudevil » 19 Nov 2017, 02:53

Im thinking Whipping. I looked at airfare today
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Fatmo » 19 Nov 2017, 03:36

I was thinking of trying out Whipping myself ASU. Never tried a tournament before.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby StarMonkey » 19 Nov 2017, 04:10

I will be attending the following cons in 2018: (I will attempt, fervently, to drag NanookTheEskimo around with me to the Chicago and east coast cons)

Vancouver, BC, Canada, Jan 27-28, Cascadia Open. Contact: Chris Brand.

Glen Ellyn, IL, April 13-15, CodCon. Contact: wcwsneak@gmail.com.

Chapel Hill, NC, May 25-27, DixieCon. Contact: David Hood, DavidHood@dixiecon.com

Chicago, IL, August 31-September 2, Weasel Moot (information will be here when available). Contact: wcwsneak@gmail.com.

Boston, MA, TBD (probably September), Boston Massacre (2017 site). Contact: Randy Laurence-Hurt.

Washington DC, October 5-7, World Diplomacy Championships at Tempest in a Teapot (information will be here when available). Contact: Peter Yeargin or diplist@list.ptks.org.

Killington, VT, November 2-4, CarnageCon (2017 website). Contact: Robert Rousse.

I can't commit to Whipping until I have gotten Siobhan's permission to attend after my behavior on this site. ;-) I'd like to go, fatmo, if you're going to be there, and if I can get Louis Abramson to attend.

Chicago cons are a lot of fun to attend, and Chicago is very cheap to fly into. I endorse them highly.

Killington is simply awesome. Robert and David run the best dip con in the hobby. Getting there is a bitch, though. But it's worth it. Ask Siobhan. If you don't know Siobhan --- fix that shortcoming immediately.

If you go to only one con all year, it should be world dip con at Tempest, in October. Peter Yeargin is a gentleman and scholar of the hobby.

You're not a real face to face hobbyist until you have attended a Dixiecon. David Hood is probably the singularly most respected man in the hobby.

Anywhere you show up, find me, I will buy the beer. Im conspicuous, and have a very high tolerance for alcohol. You'll be glad you found me.
When playing at war, always remember the origins of war:
1) I raid your cave to steal food and kidnap your women.
2) You raid my cave to steal food and kidnap my women.
3) Someone's kid gets hurt.
4) It all goes downhill from there
StarMonkey
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1107)
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 19 Nov 2017, 04:23

I'll be going to Dixie, Tempest, and Killington for sure. I am trying to go to Marlborough in February, and Philly and Weasel Moot are both maybes for me depending on other stuff. Boston in September would be nice, but it's a toss up. I might dip my toe into GenCon, since it looks like a pretty cool broader gaming convention and it's only 300-something miles away.

I can't this year, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it out to Whipping in 2019. The time of year isn't great for me while in college still, but you never know, stranger things have happened!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Postby Fatmo » 19 Nov 2017, 04:37

StarMonkey wrote:I will be attending the following cons in 2018: (I will attempt, fervently, to drag NanookTheEskimo around with me to the Chicago and east coast cons)

Lol so we agree that Nanook is the man. I'd guess Nanook would vouch for me ;)

I do really love New England, and especially Vermont. I know it's a bitch to get up there. I lived in Boston for years. Never make it out there anymore.

StarMonkey wrote:Anywhere you show up, find me, I will buy the beer. Im conspicuous, and have a very high tolerance for alcohol. You'll be glad you found me.

I basically just drink bourbon when I drink these days.

If we both make it to whipping, I'll find you. That's definitely going to be the first one I try, because I'm in southern California so can just drive there.

I don't know Siobhan, but I know she runs that tournament.

Whipping might also be particularly interesting to me because the person who taught me Diplomacy is a Bay Area F2F guy, and I know he went to Whipping last year. He's been in the hobby for a long time I believe.
You don't know what I'm thinking...because I don't know what I'm doing.

Conq wrote:Fatmo — you are a relentless mountain stream, ever-flowing, slowly but surely carving away at the rock face below.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 19 Nov 2017, 04:48

Fatmo wrote:
StarMonkey wrote:I will be attending the following cons in 2018: (I will attempt, fervently, to drag NanookTheEskimo around with me to the Chicago and east coast cons)

Lol so we agree that Nanook is the man. I'd guess Nanook would vouch for me ;)

Would definitely vouch for you. Also that Siobhan is awesome. Good player, better person. Extremely fun to be around.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Next

Return to Face-to-Face