[JANUARY] NYC Face-to-Face games (AAR POSTED!)

Looking for a Diplomacy game in your neighbourhood? Meet members from your area!

[JANUARY] NYC Face-to-Face games (AAR POSTED!)

Postby Niakan » 03 Jan 2012, 10:30

I've managed to stir up the hornet's nest in NYC, so if you were thinking about playing a Face-to-Face game last time here's your opportunity for another shot ;) And don't worry, at this rate it looks like there will be more to come in the future so if you can't make it this month there will always be next time.

We've got two games coming up this month:

• The first is Greg Shtrak's game (who doesn't have an account on this site, I think) and will actually be hosted at his home in Montclair, NJ. The game will begin at 12:00 PM on Saturday, January 7th. Please contact Greg at [email protected] or me at [email protected] if you're interested in joining. There are a couple of seats left but it will fill up quickly since this is the week of the game.

• The second will be another Face-to-Face at my place in Harlem, and the third that I've organized using this site. The game will begin three weeks later at 12:00 PM on Saturday, January 21st. Please contact me at [email protected] if you're interested in joining. I like to give Playdip.com guys preference seating at my tables so I haven't even officially announced the game to the group yet (though they did have a heads up last game).

Also, if you are a player that would like to be added to my email list please PM or email me with your contact information. Adding your contact info to my mailing list will help you stay current on upcoming games without having any obligation to join, and without having to check the forums here for the latest info. I'm going to be moving towards mass-emails to notify players of games, since we have different people from different Dip communities in the NYC group (at least until the website is up -- see below). I won't hand out your contact information to anybody else.

Lastly, I'm currently working on a website for the group at http://www.diplomacynyc.org/ which will go online on the 21st to coincide with our third Face-to-Face game. Stay tuned :)

EDIT: I put the wrong date for the second game. It's the 21st, not the 28th.
Last edited by Niakan on 31 Jan 2012, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 936
All-game rating: 1002
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: [JANUARY] NYC Face-to-Face games

Postby Niakan » 20 Jan 2012, 00:08

Bumping this. Unfortunately our first game had to be cancelled due to a couple of last-minute dropouts, but the second game for the 21st is still on. We have 7 players but if you are interested in playing this weekend please email me at [email protected]. I'd be happy to stand up and give my seat to you.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Re: [JANUARY] NYC Face-to-Face games

Postby Niakan » 31 Jan 2012, 05:24

Finally getting around to posting the AAR from Saturday the 21st. Had a great time as usual playing with some familiar faces and some new ones. My culinary experiment of the evening, shepherd's pie, was an abysmal failure :D

The board was drawn as such:

ENGLAND - Sam Capasso
FRANCE - Dan Dalton
GERMANY - Jason Mastbaum
ITALY - Darren Tang
AUSTRIA - Robert Premus
RUSSIA - Joseph Siesto
TURKEY - Anthony Laufgraben

Did a fist-pump when I got Austria. Some of the players were surprised at that, but it's truly my favorite country to play. When the game started, I was handed an easy early-game: Turkey came to me asking me to work with him against Russia, and Italy came to me asking for an alliance. I obliged them both happily. By the time Russia was cracked in 1902 and Italy was up in Turkey's grill, I turned on Turkey as well and Italy and I began to clean up -- I think at one point Tony got down to 1 or 2 centers. I don't remember exactly how things worked out in the west, but I talked to Sam early on and he came in to help against Russia as well. We agreed to work together in the east and then go our separate ways, which worked for both of our interests. Again I dont remember how things went exactly in the west but Sam did a good job of playing everyone against each other apparently since he would eventually have Scandinavia and Iberia for himself. I somehow crossed the stalemate line early and held Munich and Berlin. Tony made a comeback, coming back to 4 centers, and I'm pretty sure I screwed Darren along the way. With time running late, we decided to call it a draw with all survivors included at the end of what I think was 1908 -- it could have been 1909.

Final board standing can be seen here under "Game II":

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... FRTd21DM3c

Hoping to get some input from the other players as well. Had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next one! Will probably set one up for the weekend of the 18th: will confirm later this week before I go out to TempleCon.

Photo of the final board:

IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG (84.34 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Return to Face-to-Face