Premier League 2017/18

Anything you want to talk about.

Re: Premier League 2017/18

Postby StarWatcher009 » 11 Aug 2017, 22:54

sjg11 wrote:One of these days we're going to start the season with a nice, comfortable 2-0 win at home.

It was a great result I think, especially with a weak defence and no Sanchez.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1478
Timezone: GMT

Postby sjg11 » 12 Aug 2017, 12:17

StarWatcher009 wrote:
sjg11 wrote:One of these days we're going to start the season with a nice, comfortable 2-0 win at home.

It was a great result I think, especially with a weak defence and no Sanchez.

I'm worried about set-pieces. Koscielny excepted, I can't see us playing anyone regularly (now that Giroud and Mertesacker are back-ups) who's going to be able to be the physical presence you need in the box. Particularly with Stoke up next I'm worried.

Attack was great though in the absence of Sanchez. That's a positive.

Overall, good start but improvements still needed if we're to be successful.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (882)

Postby Jegpeg » 14 Aug 2017, 01:22

So how long will Conte last?

A few stats

Sir Alex is the only manager to win the premiership in the last 10 years to still be in post a year later.
Burnley have already equalled the number of away wins they had last year in the premier league.
The last team to beat Chelsea on the opening day of the season was Coventry City (though with the side before that being Blackburn Rovers that might be a bad omen for Burnley)
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1090)
All-game rating: (1378)

Postby sjg11 » 14 Aug 2017, 19:36

It's far, far too early to say that Conte is under any pressure. Currently I'd say that Conte is more likely to resign over transfer funds than he is to be sacked though. I could see a huffy resignation coming in the next few weeks if signings aren't made.

United and City both looked ominous for very different reasons. In some ways, City winning comfortably and always being in control of a game while playing poorly in a lot of respects is more worrying than United swatting creaky West Ham aside.

Spurs looked decent too.

Chelsea and Liverpool need to get going. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal need to remember how to defend.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby Jegpeg » 14 Aug 2017, 21:50

It is too early to be under pressure but winning the league puts a very high bar for the acceptable standard the next season. If you win the league one season unless you retain it the team is going in the wrong direction and the manager gets the blame. I think the Manchester clubs are going be be the top two this season and I could well see Conte getting the axe around Christmas if Chelsea are third or lower.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1090)
All-game rating: (1378)

Postby StarWatcher009 » 15 Aug 2017, 09:59

Based on opening weekend, I'm putting Man Utd for the title, Arsenal second, Tottenham 3rd, City fourth, Chelsea 5th, Liverpool 6th.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1478

Postby ggold24 » 16 Aug 2017, 20:29

I dipped from this site for a while (5 years? something), but anyway, I'm back, and this is the first forum page I came to.
My predictions (top eight, I can't be bothered to do in-depth for the rest):
1. Man U--as we saw against West Ham, Matic opens their team up. I've always loved him, and he allows Pogba to roam freely. Pogba--Matic--Hererra is a potentially dominant midfield, and Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, and Rashford are a dynamic attack. Sure, questionable defense, but unlike Liverpool, they have De Gea.
2. Man City--Improved from last year, and they were one of the best teams last year in expected goals. We know what they are, but Walker and Mendy are big upgrades on turnstiles.
3. Chelsea--Dependent on Bakayoko. The 3-4-3 only works because Matic and Kante were monsters, and Fabregas is just a completely different player. Also, Morata has to step up... I think they should have stood pat, kept Costa, signed Bakayoko but not Morata, and been happy with the title-winning squad. Everyone's a year older, but they're relatively young to begin with.
4. Tottenham--They're the same team as last year, and we know that's a good one. Because of Liverpool and Arsenal's shortcomings, I see them sneaking into the top four.
5. Arsenal--Lacazette is a good signing, and makes their attack formidable. Their defense is still decent, Koscielny's solid. They should keep Ox. I expect him and Xhaka to really come into their own this year.
6. Liverpool--Ah, my Reds. If we sign Van Dijk, and Coutinho fourth it is again. If not, fifth or sixth. Lovren sucks. Moreno's improved, but he still has a mistake or two per game. I think we should line up with James Milner (pronounced Ha-mes) at left back, and Van Dijk if Southampton isn't stupid. An extremely entertaining side, but too mistake-prone at the moment to put into the top four.
7. Everton--Signings galore. Michael Keane is a great grab, I wished Liverpool had signed him. Pickford's the top young goalkeeper in the world besides Donarumma--you heard it here first. They'll miss Lukaku, but with a solid defence and decent attacking options, I don't see anyone passing them. Gueye is a monster.
8. West Ham--Arnautovic and Chicharito are both good signings, and remake the attack. They're nothing special, but a decent attack, Joe Hart as an upgrade in goal, and general boringness with give them a comfortably solid upper-mid-table finish. They'll beat the bad teams, but lose against the good ones.
What do you want?
ggold24

Standard rating: (958)
All-game rating: (926)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sjg11 » 19 Aug 2017, 20:38

Well... nice to see the classic crap Arsenal result at Stoke is out of the way early this year. :roll:

Same old, same old, every year.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Postby sjg11 » 22 Oct 2017, 23:01

Could someone explain a few things about Everton to me:
1. Why are they playing Gueye-Schneiderlin as a midfield against Burnley who sit deep considering that those two aren't exactly creative powerhouses?
2. Why are they then playing Gueye on his own in midfield against Arsenal, allowing us to run rampant through the midfield all game?
3. Why are the playing Siggy on the wing where he's completely useless rather than as a 10 where he's useful?

Like, I just don't really get why Everton don't do something like this:

GK: Pickford
RCB: Jagielka
CB: Williams
LCB: Keane
RWB: Kenny (obvs Coleman slots in here when fit
LWB: Baines
RCM: Gueye
LCM: Schneiderlin/Davies/Klaasen (depending on the opposition)
RAM: Rooney
LAM: Siggy
ST: Niasse/Calvert-Lewin

Or even:
GK: Pickford
RB: Kenny (again Coleman when fit)
RCB: Keane
LCB: Jagielka
LB: Baines
RDM: Gueye
LDM: Schneiderlin/Davies/Klaasen (again depending on the opposition)
RAM: Lookman/Calvert-Lewin
CAM: Siggy
LAM: Mirallas
ST: Niasse/Calvert-Lewin

LIke both those systems would seem to fit better than the systems that Koeman is using at the moment... like he came close to the first formation today but Vlasic is too attacking to play as a CM in the 3-4-2-1 system. Particularly when you're playing Arsenal.
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Previous