Support Order failiures

INFORMATION ONLY. Site features.
Forum rules
This sub-forum is for information only. Please post any questions in the appropriate sections of the Forum.
Questions on rules of the game - Rules Questions
Questions on site functions - in the main Information Forum

Support Order failiures

Postby Abraxsus » 21 Jul 2017, 18:29

Why does a support order sometimes fail? Is this a glitch in the program software?

It would never happen in F2F games! I am particularly annoyed as this has happened to me in my current game, which now means the difference between gaining centres and now losing centres and ultimately being eliminated.
I swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth!......Until I stab you!
Abraxsus
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1061
All-game rating: 955
Timezone: GMT

Re: Support Order failiures

Postby WHSeward » 21 Jul 2017, 18:39

The site has support work exactly correctly, but the terminology may have you confused. Support is indicating as having "failed" when, for example, the supported unit fails to advance in an attack. The support worked just fine in that case, your side just lost the battle so it is labled a "fail". If you misorder you will get a notice that the support order "does not correspond".

If you give a specific example (game number, unit) I can give a more specific explanation.

EDIT: I see you are in one anon game, so maybe you don't want to post specifics here. Read ALL the orders from the prior turn, and you will understand why your unit bounced.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby edmgrim » 21 Jul 2017, 19:52

WHSeward wrote:The site has support work exactly correctly, but the terminology may have you confused. Support is indicating as having "failed" when, for example, the supported unit fails to advance in an attack. The support worked just fine in that case, your side just lost the battle so it is labled a "fail". If you misorder you will get a notice that the support order "does not correspond".

If you give a specific example (game number, unit) I can give a more specific explanation.

EDIT: I see you are in one anon game, so maybe you don't want to post specifics here. Read ALL the orders from the prior turn, and you will understand why your unit bounced.

Perhaps, to mitigate the confusion, "failed" could be changed to "unsuccessful".
edmgrim

Standard rating: 1057
All-game rating: 1064

Postby WHSeward » 21 Jul 2017, 20:28

If you read the output carefully, it is not the support that "fails" or is "unsuccessful" it is the "supported unit". It is failure to read carefully that is the problem so I don't think that helps too much. Probably no comment at all would be best and only comment on the moving unit.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606

Postby asudevil » 21 Jul 2017, 23:06

Mean comment redacted
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1339
All-game rating: 1513
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Tarsier » 21 Jul 2017, 23:14

Abraxsus wrote:Why does a support order sometimes fail? Is this a glitch in the program software?

It would never happen in F2F games! I am particularly annoyed as this has happened to me in my current game, which now means the difference between gaining centres and now losing centres and ultimately being eliminated.

And to clarify, it WOULD happen in a F2F game for the exact same reasons it happens online, according to the rules of the board game. As mentioned above, it might be a terminology issue, but somewhere your opponent trumped you with superior force.
Tarsier

Standard rating: 2008
All-game rating: 2100
Timezone: GMT

Postby Fuddin » 08 Aug 2017, 23:20

I'm kinda curious as to what asudevil said.
Never Surrender. Never NMR. Also, screw kingmakers!
Fuddin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1117
All-game rating: 1119
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 09 Aug 2017, 01:41

Fuddin wrote:I'm kinda curious as to what asudevil said.

Nothing...I didn't say anything ... I redacted myself so I WOULDNT be mean.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1339
All-game rating: 1513
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to Playing on Site