Poll & Quiz--PlayDip History--Who has been #1?

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

How many of the 15 players listed below were ranked #1 under the old scoring system?

Poll ended at 16 Aug 2014, 21:21

All 15
4%
14 (all but one)
No votes
No votes
12 (80% of the 15)
8%
8%
8%
9 (60% of the 15)
8%
20%
6 or 7 (of the 15)
32%
5 or less (of the 15)
12%

Total votes : 25

Re: Poll & Quiz--PlayDip History--Who has been #1?

Postby sinnybee » 23 Aug 2014, 02:33

Rolan A Doobie wrote:
Just because you had a "gimme" solo, doesn't mean you aren't a fantastic player.

Just because I held the top spot for a bit doesn't mean I am.

If I were to come up with a list of the best (in my opinion) 25 Diplomacy players who have ever played on this site, I would put you on the list, while I wouldn't put hordesofmidgets and Peanut (though Peanut is a really nice guy with amazing intelligence!) on the list, for example.
And yes, I remember you talking about that solo before... why would that change my opinion? That game can't touch what you did in other games. That game was what, only one turn? So, that's just 1 of 1858 turns, a miniscule portion of your turn history, and of course that turn was easy, but it was played correctly.
Last edited by sinnybee on 23 Aug 2014, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1332
All-game rating: 1467
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 23 Aug 2014, 02:49

sinnybee wrote:And yes, I remember you talking about that solo before... why would that change my opinion? That game can't touch what you did in other games.

The thing is, that's fairly representative of what I did in other games.

I remember a point at which I had 8 solos and 2 2-way draws as my 10 most-current results....and in all 10 of those, I had taken over a surrendered spot. If I'm correctly remembering how the points worked at the time of the fading echoes, that was 118 points right there, before counting whatever was sitting in the other less-recent spots.

That's when I was on the top of the standings. Scavenger play at its best/worst.
Rolan A Doobie

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 23 Aug 2014, 02:59

Rolan A Doobie wrote:
sinnybee wrote:And yes, I remember you talking about that solo before... why would that change my opinion? That game can't touch what you did in other games.

The thing is, that's fairly representative of what I did in other games.

I remember a point at which I had 8 solos and 2 2-way draws as my 10 most-current results....and in all 10 of those, I had taken over a surrendered spot. If I'm correctly remembering how the points worked at the time of the fading echoes, that was 118 points right there, before counting whatever was sitting in the other less-recent spots.

That's when I was on the top of the standings. Scavenger play at its best/worst.

Nothing I don't know there.
Rolan, I'm not just talking about those games.
You knew what you were doing, and you did have games which demonstrated your excellent skill in Diplomacy.
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Postby connect4 » 23 Aug 2014, 03:05

I wholeheartedly concur with the lovely bee
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 23 Aug 2014, 03:06

I'm standing by my statement that I am among the worst players to hold the top spot....so I guess this is where 'agree-to-disagree' comes into things.
Rolan A Doobie

Postby connect4 » 23 Aug 2014, 03:07

You haven't seen most of those players, have you? ;)
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 23 Aug 2014, 03:13

connect4 wrote:You haven't seen most of those players, have you? ;)

Nope, because I was vulturing points from people who (sometimes) didn't even know how to move the pieces on the board...or (more often) simply failed to submit orders.
Rolan A Doobie

Postby sinnybee » 23 Aug 2014, 04:19

I could probably agree that you're a below average player among those who have been #1 ...and you have scavenged more than average among those who have been #1, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're an as$h0le or anything like that. You could have just looked around a bit and been like "oh, this game looks interesting" or "I really don't want to commit to a full game of Diplomacy..."

Anyway... I'm so glad we're done with this particular conversation.
sinnybee

Postby gsmx » 24 Aug 2014, 08:56

sinnybee wrote:The person off by the least individual yes/no guesses was gsmx, just off by 3 guesses--well done!

Damn i'm good.

So what, now we have to harass you more to get the rest of the post-quiz answers?
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 2153
All-game rating: 2584
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Fatmo » 27 Aug 2014, 02:35

sinnybee wrote:If I were to come up with a list of the best (in my opinion) 25 Diplomacy players who have ever played on this site, I would put you on the list

Rolan, from what I've seen you write in the debates forum and what I see from AARs of Mafia games, it's not hard to imagine you'd be a killer diplomacy player. I think it's safe to say most of us in the old scoring system sniped a game or two that looked like an easy late-game win.

Sinny, I'd love to see such a list, and I'd be curious to know how you'd compile it. When I try to think of who I suppose the best players are, I know that I will be somewhat biased in favor of the players who I have been in a game with; usually someone who played incredibly well in that game. I'd assume most people would have a similar problem, and you've played even less games than me (though you win more :) )

I just feel like I haven't played enough games to know who I'd say is the best, and I wouldn't feel fair just doing it based on stats or whatever good players happen to have a high visibility on the forums. There are lots of players who don't come to the forums much, and may not even play many games, but some are incredible. Namedaccount comes to mind immediately, and there are a few others I might put in there.

I've played (or at least remember playing) only two guys in the current top ten (though I've played others who've been there over the years; even you if you count that weird game), and they are great and completely deserve their spots at the top, but I've run into people who have played just as well or even a bit better than they did.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1089
All-game rating: 1050
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Players