Let me introduce myself...

Please introduce yourself, so we can get to know you better!

Let me introduce myself...

Postby Raxyn » 10 Apr 2017, 20:14

Hello all, my names Ryan, also known as Raxyn :D

I started playing Diplomacy when I was in Job Corps; a history teacher had an ongoing game of Diplomacy that he was looking for players for and I decided to give it a shot. I fell in love with the game right then; the intrigue and the skill needed to keep your plans going strong even if things went south. Sadly, I'd say I got a...dumbed down version of the game due to many of the players not working together or just ending up with no interest midway or near the end of the game (For reference, my first game every with this I got chosen to play Russia and I completely swept the board due to people having in fighting in their own ranks) but the teacher also did a cool little battle report every move so I wanted to see what the results of his synopsis were every game while also trying to encourage others to keep playing (we lost England and Turkey to just full out surrenders...)

So now I'm looking for more experience playing with others! Since I don't have a game set in person just yet I figured I'd try it out here online first. I look forward to learning the hard way that this game is very intense but satisfying :)
Raxyn

Class: Diplomat
Rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Let me introduce myself...

Postby Shyvve » 10 Apr 2017, 21:45

Raxyn,

Welcome to the site, Ryan. We're glad you found us!
There must be some latent "Diplomacy gene" that activates with us all when we play our first games. I certainly know the feeling; I don't think it diminishes with time.
The interface is pretty intuitive (entering orders and such) although I understand it will soon undergo some changes.
Many here will be happy to answer questions you may have as you learn your way around. Mentoring games are also available if you want to do that. It is my understanding that these games have been very helpful for those with limited experience playing or that just want to "brush-up" their skills before jumping into games that are more of a competitive nature.
Mentoring games can be found here if that interests you.

See ya around the board!
Shyvve
Premium Member

Rating: 1107
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Raxyn » 10 Apr 2017, 22:29

Ha, I think you're right! The minute I was finished with the first game I wanted to play a new one. Sadly my tenure with Job Corps was ending so I wasn't able to join a new game. Thanks for the suggestion about the Mentoring game, I actually found that while browsing the forums last week and signed up to take part in the next upcoming game. That way I can learn the interface (and maybe find out about these changes to the interface or at least be more prepared for the change, and also get to know some folks. :)
Raxyn

Postby I Love Italy » 10 Apr 2017, 23:23

Once you've finished your first game you'll be eligible to join a group on the forums called the Classicists. The group is devoted to reducing NMR and surrenders. In addition, the people who take the time to join tend to be high quality players and communicators, and so the games are always very enjoyable. I'd encourage you to join.
MUCKLE DAMRED CULTI 'AIR EH NAMBLIES BE KEEPIN' ME WEE MEN!?!?"
I Love Italy

Class: Star Ambassador
Rating: 1117

Postby V » 10 Apr 2017, 23:28

Be oh so careful youngster & don't listen to shady characters like Shyvve with his encouragement. 46+ years ago I got a "Christmas gift" from my big brother, when I had just started the equivalent of Middle School. He was always a shady character as well, with plenty to answer for over the years. Well here I am bending my ever more fragile brain, seeing treachery everywhere, including where it isn't, telling myself how enjoyable it all is, knowing full well with God's Grace I will still be torturing my feeble wits in another 30! Be oh so careful upon which you are embarking. They don't do rehab for this one:-)

Enjoy every minute V (By the way, I still have that Christmas gift in a dusty corner somewhere:-)
V

Rating: 1696
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Carebear » 11 Apr 2017, 01:29

If you are going with that subject title, you forget to post this with your introduction. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiIH5PewAzs&t=1m14s
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Rating: (1739)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Raxyn » 13 Apr 2017, 21:08

V wrote:Be oh so careful youngster...

I plan on enjoying every second of this, and I know to not "trust" others to much, but hey, that's half the fun for me :)
Raxyn

Postby Carebear » 13 Apr 2017, 21:12

Raxyn wrote:
V wrote:Be oh so careful youngster...

I plan on enjoying every second of this, and I know to not "trust" others to much, but hey, that's half the fun for me :)

Stranger Danger

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear
Premium Member

Postby Raxyn » 13 Apr 2017, 21:13

Carebear wrote:If you are going with that subject title, you forget to post this with your introduction. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiIH5PewAzs&t=1m14s

I'll have to watch this when I get back home but I have a feeling I know what this is lol
Raxyn

Postby Carebear » 13 Apr 2017, 21:23

Raxyn wrote:I'll have to watch this when I get back home but I have a feeling I know what this is lol

Well, I could have chosen this one instead... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38Ec57yMG8&t=33s

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Carebear
Premium Member

Return to Players