Armed neutrals?

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Armed neutrals?

Postby StarkAdder » 15 Nov 2017, 15:20

I was musing last night about how the strategies of Classic Diplomacy would change if, at the start of the game, all neutral country supply centers had a neutral army on them. They would only hold but would take two units to dislodge (and a crafty player could support one of them to thwart an opponent).

I am sure this has been tried before and I would love to hear from others if it makes a good or bad game, and how strategies vary (I surmise that, instead of the usual gold rush mentality that drives the seven powers in different directions, some would head directly for one another). Any insights?

If I am wrong and this has not been played before, I'd be happy to be part of a play-test.

StarkAdder
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1280
All-game rating: 1189
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Armed neutrals?

Postby ccloughley » 15 Nov 2017, 15:28

This seems similar to the variant where every minor is played by a person. I'd be willing to play a game like this just to see how it plays out.
A deal is a deal is a deal until a better deal comes along...

Smile. Smile. Smile. Kill. Smile.
ccloughley

Standard rating: 963
All-game rating: 971
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Alman » 15 Nov 2017, 17:22

There are variants where all unoccupied neutral centers have non-moving units. Can't remember which ones they are right now, but pretty sure I've played them. Baron VonPowell might have one.
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1459
All-game rating: 1581

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 15 Nov 2017, 19:57

You should read about Ambition & Empire, one of the many variants that includes armed neutrals and a mechanism for negotiating with them.

http://tinyurl.com/ambition-empire-rules-v6-d1-0

We're getting ready to play a round of it on the forum as part of a larger tournament, and I can add you as an observer if you're interested.
NoPunIn10Did
Gold Classicist & Benevolent Tyrant

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1291

Postby Alman » 15 Nov 2017, 20:30

NoPunIn10Did wrote:You should read about Ambition & Empire, one of the many variants that includes armed neutrals and a mechanism for negotiating with them.

Yeah, that. Only played it as well as GM'ed it. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Memory :(
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
Turkey in "Blitzkrieg" PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1459
All-game rating: 1581

Postby markleadon » 15 Nov 2017, 21:23

There's a good variant called crowded where there are 4 extra nations. Namely Scandinavia (Denmark, Sweden, Norway), Iberia (Spain, Portugal and Tunis), the balkans (Rumania, Bulgaria, Serbia and Greece) and the lowlands (holland, Belgium and the newly promoted Ruhr having an actual centre). Effectively every centre becomes negotiated right from the word go. In the couple of games I've played Austria Hungary is stronger than the normal classic version whilst the balkans got attacked right from the word go. Scandinavia was pretty strong
markleadon

Standard rating: 1410
All-game rating: 1411
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 15 Nov 2017, 21:52

If you want to play something similar that is already available on site, try 11 player escalation. Each player gets 3 placements which as you can see fills almost all the supply centres :)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby StarkAdder » 15 Nov 2017, 23:31

Thanks for all the options! I will observe a few soon.
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1280
All-game rating: 1189
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby buckielugger » 15 Nov 2017, 23:55

Whilst there are several variants out there with various minor powers added, I'm not sure any are the simple suggestion muted at the start of this thread.
Namely that the basic game starts with an inactive army on each neutral supply centre...

I think THAT would be a fun and very interesting game to play (and could be applied to the different maps such as AncientMed and 1900).
Platinum Classicist...
buckielugger
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1481

Postby buckielugger » 16 Nov 2017, 00:25

A quick glance at map and how year one changes...France can still go for either Spain or Belgium.

Italy though is fairly stuffed!! Would need the Fleet Rome option to be able to make any headway, short of walking into Trieste or Marseilles...

Turkey would need to get the Black Sea to break out or else rotate units around until fleet can get into Aegean and then support an army into Bulgaria.

Austria would actually be ok with its armies free to move against the Balkan bases.

Germany likewise ok for Denmark and Holland.

Russia can get Rumania...and Sweden in maybe 3 moves if Warsaw moves to the Baltic coast, is shipped into Finland...and then supported into Sweden!

England: Norway a simple gain...Belgium can be got too (if Channel is gained unopposed).

So overall, year one MUCH tougher unsurprisingly...
Platinum Classicist...
buckielugger
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1004
All-game rating: 1481

Return to Suggestions