Anonymous

Suggestions on improving the site or comments in general?

Anonymous

Postby markleadon » 14 Nov 2017, 00:08

Not really a suggestion, just a query. Just wondered why games show the people who are playing? Wouldn't it be better to have all games as anonymous without fail. That way there is never ever the possibility that someone holds a grudge from game to game. I am, for instance, not joining a game, because I've just seen that another player is in it who I played with in the last game
markleadon

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1410
All-game rating: 1411
Timezone: GMT

Re: Anonymous

Postby V » 14 Nov 2017, 00:17

You just gave a perfect example of why all games shouldn’t be anonymous. I recently signed up for a game, but subsequently unsubscribed after a participant joined that I promised myself to avoid in future. Two previous occurrences were quite sufficient. If it had been anonymous players I’d have failed to find out until Spring 1901 (this guy is unmistakable) at which point it’s too late. In a tournament anonymous players works very well, but not always.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby markleadon » 14 Nov 2017, 00:21

Hi v. Take this scenario. You win a game and solo. The next game you see that someone you stabbed is in it. Do you think he will take the bait next game when he sees your name?!
markleadon

Postby Machiara » 14 Nov 2017, 00:23

That's why you have the option to play anonymous players or anonymous countries. Why should it be mandatory for everyone?
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1973
All-game rating: 2001
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby markleadon » 14 Nov 2017, 00:26

I just can't see any advantage of knowing the name / or being known. If everyone is unknown, then it's an even playing field
markleadon

Postby Shyvve » 14 Nov 2017, 00:29

I like the occasional non-anonymous game because everyone knows I'm such a brilliant tactician and never make a mistake and never lose my composure and never, ever stab anyone!
Shyvve
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1262

Postby V » 14 Nov 2017, 00:48

In response to the question re-subsequent game after a solo.
There is no absolute reason why the previous contest will generate a specific outcome in the next game. A solid alliance (or immediate war) are both equally possible. The 5 other players not previously involved will be of far greater influence than a past tiff with one of the participants.
Of course previous knowledge of playing style could make an opponent more cautious or more confident, in their dealings in subsequent games, but again this is no bar to enjoying another contest together.
If there is a history of bitterness, disrespect in past messages etc... then maybe the subsequent game could be tainted, but hopefully not a simple stab & solo scenario.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Postby markleadon » 14 Nov 2017, 00:54

I see what you are saying v. For me, though, it just means many potential problems stop. I.e. You cant hold grudges, it's less likely to have pre arranged alliances even, more games are opened up to join, games are on an even starting point etc. I'm probably a little biased as previously I was used to dipbounced where all games are anon though.
markleadon

Postby Machiara » 14 Nov 2017, 01:31

It's generally not hard to find an anon game, and if you can't you can always start one up yourself. Small sample size but I've never had to wait more than about a week for an anon game I started to fill up.
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1973
All-game rating: 2001
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby V » 14 Nov 2017, 01:33

There is a case for anonymous games being perceived as “artificial” & artefacts of Online Diplomacy, although there are many benefits as you point out.
They are obviously impossible in the original F2F contest & I have frequently observed players using the same “tired old tricks” over & over again, hiding behind anonymity, because they are effective enough to be worth repeating.
I encountered a participant who flat out declared that “as Germany he would ALWAYS attack England, if France was willing”. When anonymous fine, otherwise predictable play such as this will be seriously punished once identified.
I now play both & feel each have their place.
Platinum Classicist
V

Next

Return to Suggestions