"The Russian Nightmare" - 46636. Retrovertigo

Discussion of finished games.

"The Russian Nightmare" - 46636. Retrovertigo

Postby mem101 » 28 Sep 2012, 14:11

This game is almost over, and once it is I'll be writing an after action report. This was probably my toughest game yet and it has some really interesting elements - not least of which was the all out coordinated attack on Russia (FieldMarshalRommel) by Germany (me) and Turkey (Tiankav). So I'm reserving the space now in the hope that the others in the game keep an eye on this thread and make contributions of their own.
Silver member of The Classicists.
mem101

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1603
All-game rating: 1623
Timezone: GMT

Re: "The Russian Nightmare" - 46636. Retrovertigo

Postby mem101 » 01 Oct 2012, 16:11

Game 46636. Retrovertigo
Standard map, standard rules, random selection.
48/24/24 deadlines

FINAL OUTCOME
Germany (mem101) WINNER
Turkey (Tiankav) WINNER
France (bratsffl) – eliminated 1916
England (carolinaslim) - eliminated 1910
Italy (Nihilimus) – eliminated 1910
Austria (LakersFan) - eliminated 1906
Russia (FieldMarshalRommel) – eliminated 1903

This was my first game as Germany and it ended in a two-way 17-17 split between me and Turkey with an absolutely solid north-south stalemate line. It took a lot of negotiation between Germany and Turkey for the draw to be improved upon from a three-way draw with France, but we both agreed that it was well worth the effort.
I will break the game down into the opening, mid-game and end game and summarise the negotiations, diplomacy and tactics of each year, and supplement it all with my thought processes.

OPENING – “The Russian Nightmare”

The Spring 1901 negotiations were a rollercoaster ride for me. In a nutshell, I started out with one idea, got wind of other happenings, and diplomacized like a mad-man to protect my interests and ended up somewhere completed different from where I started. As it turned out, where I ended up was quite unorthodox but very entertaining. I will do my best to explain the twists and turns in a logical and concise manner.

I started the game out with an idea to blitz into France with the aid of both Italy and England. I think other powers are more likely to respond favourably to a player who has solid plans than to one who dithers and is non-commital. Or sends one-liners such as France did: “I’m in the mood for a Western Triple. Are you game?”
I sent my proposal to England first, offering support into Belgium in Fall 1901 if she agreed. Unfortunately, England was the non-commital sort, prefering to hang back and take very slow steps towards creating alliances and agreements. To my relief, she wasn’t interested in the Triple proposed by France despite them tending to favour England and generally end up with Germany getting stabbed. So England and I took the slow path to an alliance.

I always send messages to all players on the board no matter what country I am playing and this game was no exception. Austria was happy with a DMZ in Bohemia and Tyrolia, and Turkey agreed to share information on our rivals. Russia was silent to my proposal for DMZ’s in Silesia and Prussia.

While England and I were discussing bratsffl’s past history playing as France, events around the board took their toll and gave my opening plans a very fancy make-over. Italy made it clear in a very diplomatic way that she wouldn’t be opening against France, and Austria and Turkey were telling me that the East was making plans to divide the Balkans peacefully. It seemed Russia wanted to attack me in collaboration with Austria, and Austria wanted to go for Turkey with help from Italy, but was simultaneously offering Turkey an alliance against Italy. The evidence was piling up that Russia was going after me:

- an agreement with England to divide Scandinavia peacefully while honouring a short term non-aggression pact
- non-aggression pacts with Turkey and Austria
- Austria and Turkey both telling me that Russia was talking about attacking me
- radio silence about my offer of DMZ’s between Germany and Russia

That was more than enough evidence! I sent Russia a message directly telling him that I knew of his plans, and that I was moving to Denmark in Spring. I told him that if he moved any units to any of Prussia, Silesia, and Livonia, I would block him out of Sweden. That got his attention! He agreed to my ultimatum and that opened up my options once more.

Turkey was unhappy with the agreement with Austria and Russia. Austria was essentially asking Turkey to go after Italy with her on just four centres – not really a good start to a potential alliance. I started thinking about a Germany-Turkey alliance against Russia and put the idea on Turkey’s desk. Germany would open with a Barbarossa (though after playing it, I prefer to call it the Warsaw Gambit), and Turkey with a Crimean Crusher. For it to work, I’d need to ensure my triangle of the board was in order.

After England’s rejection of France’s offer for a Western Triple, I offered France a DMZ in Burgundy, which he refused due to certain other things he was hearing. I had to assume that the plans I’d laid out to Italy and England had got back to France somehow, probably from Italy. But to this day I don’t know for sure what France was talking about, and I’d be interested to find out what this was all about! He told me that he was forcing his way into Burgundy, but that I should trust him that he would not be making a move to Munich, and was telling me that I could use England as insurance if he stabbed me. I wasn’t happy about it, but in the end I told him that I would trust him, and hoped we’d be able to work together soonafter. Basically, even if France was working with Russia against me then the “Russian Nightmare” opening with Turkey was my best bet.

Since I had offered Belgium to England, and I would no longer be able to follow through on that, I told her I would find some other way to support her 1901 efforts. Basically, I was leaving Holland open, so England could take Holland in lieu of Belgium, while I was off on my Russian campaign. I didn’t reveal any of this to England until after the orders had been processed.

One additional item of doubt was that Russia would open south, or would move to Prussia, Silesia, and/or Livonia despite my threat. However, her tone suggested that she would comply, but still open to St. Petersburg in an attempt to circumvent my defensive measures. And with non-aggression pacts with Austria and Turkey, it seemed that our moves were guaranteed to get us Warsaw and Sevastopol in Fall 1901. I gave Turkey the final nod, and we finalised our moves.

Russia was in deep trouble! After barely putting two sentences together to send to me in Spring 1901, he now sent me a full letter proposing a three-way attack on Austria in collaboration with Italy. Obviously, this was a mistake on his part! He should have been saying something along the lines of “Ok so Warsaw is yours. What can I offer you to stop you from advancing further on my territory? How about...” or something to that effect.

After the piles of letters sent to and from foreign dignitories and the hours spent poring over legal documents in Spring 1901, the diplomacy in Fall 1901 was minimal. The main issue was to ensure Turkey got two builds in order to defend from a possible Italy-Austria alliance, while still supporting the Russian war effort with a new army. This could be done by ensuring Austria would not support Russia in any way, so I leaked Russia’s proposal of an Austrian offensive to Austria.

In the west, I sent a polite message to France congratulating his three-build 1901, and tried to plant the first seeds of cooperation against England in his mind.

Needless to say, I took Warsaw, bounced Sweden, and Turkey took Sevastopol, leaving Russia’s southern fleet stranded. All went according to plan.

I think Germany can get bogged down, and end up subordinate to England by building too many armies and neglecting her armada. So I started out with the intention of doing my best to keep up with England’s fleet building. Although I was heading east, I needed to show the West that I wasn’t completely absent so I built an army in Munich and a fleet in Kiel.
The plan for this year was to continue the war on Russia, establishing a hold on a corner of the board, while securing my western borders. Russia was still suggesting I move south to Austria and return Warsaw. I’m not sure anything Russia could have said at this point would have stopped my advances. After all, what could he possibly offer that was worth Warsaw, Moscow, St Petersburg and a very strong position? The funny thing was that he was proposing deals with both me and Turkey, and Turkey and I were sharing them with each other. I never actually agreed to his proposals; I think I said something like “Your offer is reasonable.” He took it as confirmation.

England wanted Sweden, one of my spoils of war which, I might add, was not only a spoil of war, but also a gift from a grovelling Russia. The audacity of England in asking to have more centres than me – she was forcing Belgium - while expecting me to have war on two fronts was beginning to re-shape my future plans further. France, on the other hand, was offering Holland. In the end, I thought it best to try to keep both England and France on-side while I swept up the rest of Russia, so I didn’t take him up on his offer.

Italy in Tyrolia was a worry also, and I got no response from my request for his intentions, so I supported Austria to Tyrolia to kick him out of there.

In the Fall, Russia gave up trying to convince me to head south. The last message I received from the Czar cannot be repeated in polite company, but Diplomacy can get that way sometimes.

England continued to annoy me by asking for St. Petersburg and threatening, in not so many words, to side with France against me. So! I risk my western borders in a bold move against Russia from day one, while you sit back with a non-aggression pact, and then ask for some rewards once I’ve cleared the path! I couldn’t believe what I was reading! It took some careful negotiation to bring England around to my way of thinking, but the winning argument was the supply centre count – it was reasonable for me to have one centre more than her, rather than she one centre more than me.

However, the annoyance didn’t end there because she was trying to incoroporate my Russian centres into a deal against France. She wanted Paris, Brest, Spain and Portugal, and offered me Holland and Marseilles!

By the end of the year Russia was down to a single centre, Moscow, with Germany in Sweden, Warsaw, and St. Petersburg, and Turkey in Sevastopol and Rumania.

By this point, my dealings with England plus the strategic advantage France and I had to gain from taking out England compelled me to cut a deal with France. I would walk into Norway and Holland, France could support himself into Belgium, and then we would share mainland England, France taking London and Liverpool, and Germany taking Edinburgh. Unfortunately, this is where I made my first mistake. I didn’t really trust France, and the plan would only work if England was oblivious to my hostility, so I instead decided to tell France that I was on his side, that he should move out of Ruhr and into Belgium, and that my allegiance to him would reveal itself very soon. I was asking for some trust, and a move out of the Ruhr. I felt this was reasonable considering he’d asked something similar on day one. I even told him Munich would be available for him to take, but that it would benefit neither of us. Added to that, I had built yet another fleet; where else could I be headed except Blighty?

Unfortunately, he didn’t believe me, invaded Munich, and I was forced to follow through on the unfair deal I’d cut with England. It may not have been so bad, and I may have been willing to let it go if Austria hadn’t changed his mind about supporting Munich to hold, but as it stood, I was occupied by France, and had to fight to liberate my home centre. The game would have turned out very differently if I hadn’t failed to get France on-side, and I wonder whether he would have accepted my proposal if I’d given him full disclosure.

In the East, finishing Russia was now a trivial matter. His final centre was occupied in Spring 1903 and he was officially eliminated from the game in the Fall 1903 Build phase. Anyone reading this, please link me a game where Russia had an earlier exit!

Turkey and I agreed to a large scale DMZ of the East: no units in Sevastopol, Moscow, Rumania and Ukraine as soon as was reasonable. We would talk at each phase and agree to slow demilitarisation. I very much enjoyed working with Turkey. We seemed to understand each others’ concerns and yet both attempted to gain the edge through subtle diplomacy, though we usually ended up with very fair deals – a premonition for the game’s outcome. The overall plan I had in mind was to take Vienna – just below the stalemate line – then race Turkey to 18 centres through England and France.

He was also trying to feel me out for an attack on Austria, which I was interested in only after I had sorted out the west. I told Tiankav as much and he understood. We agreed to keep our alliance secret until later, and strike out at Austria from two sides after Italy was gone. Turkey didn’t wait though, and walked right into two Austrian centres.

The war with France began in earnest. It was slow going, and the whole time I was set on getting back into a good position to attack England. I just didn’t like the formalities she insisted on or the deal we’d agreed upon. And as I mentioned before, I didn’t want to live in the shadow of a superior English armada.

Austria was asking for help against Turkey but with Munich occupied (Austria’s fault!), I didn’t have the spare units. I had to try and get what few units I had into position to either help Austria against a growing Turkey, or take an Austrian centre or two before Turkey gobbled them all.

The war with France began to look up. I had just re-taken Munich, and England and I had him surrounded. I began to open channels with France and feel him out for an attack on England, but I wanted to gain a French centre before making the move. I did my best to manoeuvre my western neighbours into a position where I could stab England brutally by taking Holland, Belgium, and Norway, and take a French centre. I could then offer the centre back to France in exchange for collaboration against England. Again, the plans didn’t quite come to fruition as France proved himself a strong defender. Nevertheless, I still intended to attack England sooner rather than later and here’s why.

Turkey was growing very quickly into Austria with the help of Italy, who seemed to be happy taking none of the spoils, and was proposing a joint attack on Italy once Austria was gone. I told him I’d join the war now and would only require Vienna and Venice, he could take Rome, Naples and Tunisia. To be honest, I only asked for Venice as something to concede in negotiations, but Turkey accepted, so long as I attacked England now. Great! I was already planning to attack England! This should have sent alarm bells ringing though! Turkey wasn’t stupid, so why was he offering me Venice!?

Thankfully, I had a contingency plan. In addition to the support Turkey was promising into Vienna, Austria had agreed to grant me support into his final centre. I’d been keeping the channels open and saying friendly things throughout his destruction, and I assured him I’d do everything I could to rid the world of the tyrant once he was gone. Vienna bounced as Turkey supported himself there and Austria lived to fight another day.

I asked England to give me Holland sooner than our deal had apparently specified in order to begin building lines against Turkey. England would only do this, however, if we agreed to yet another “formal” agreement – a victory alliance. This would involve DMZ’s which would severely inhibit my opportunities to attack England at a later date. Perhaps I should have seen how things went with England, but I was just too keen to hit her NOW! I moved into Norway and Holland. This was probably my second major mistake of the game.

MID-GAME – “The Cold War”

After going against my wishes in the Fall 1905 build phase, Turkey finally admitted that he’d been lying and that we were at war. This is where my game got really bogged down.
The Cold War was characterised by two superpowers, Turkey and Germany, vying for support from smaller powers. I’d been sending endless messages to the silent Italy, who had told me previously that he had been too busy to pay due attention to the game. I sent him Turkey’s plans to invade, offered suggestions and supply centres, but it wan’t until Fall 1906 that he finally responded to my messages and agreed to work with me albeit secretly for now.

In the previous years, France had retreated his Munich unit to Bohemia, and then Galicia, which was where he now stood. In Spring 1906, the battle for Vienna ended when France was supported there with two Turkish armies, breaking Austria’s attempt with my one support. Austria finally officially exited the game at the end of 1906.

France was now in a key position and played Turkey and myself off against each other quite well. He supported me into Galicia and I finally had a strong stalemate position in the East, but he refused to attack England.

My war on England was slow-going. I managed to secure Endinburgh by the end of the year, but desperately needed to get more fleets in the north to safely advance the attack.

France came out with a message stating that he and England were working together as a single entity, and were demanding that I unilaterally retreat from the front lines else suffer their supporting Turkey and Italy in any way they deemed fit. Naturally, I didn’t comply. I could hold my position and make advances with some clever moves and some educated guesses. It turned out to be the right thing to do, since, in the Fall of 1907, France stabbed England (at least from my perspective; it’s quite possible that the move into Portugal was agreed upon).

The Cold War was well and truly locked in the East, with Turkey and I in a stalemate position which included France in a key location – an annoyance to us both, I’m sure, but it helped keep me off his back in the East while he re-took centres from England over the next year or two.

Italy sent a message to France and me proposing that they support me to victory! Turkey was being demonised as the worst kind of Diplomacy player – a pathological liar (actually Turkey had admitted to me previously that he couldn’t help but constantly lie!), who needed to be taught a lesson. Unfortunately, France wasn’t interested, so Italy and I talked tactics on how to cover the festering Entente Cordiale with cement. His plan was to be invited north by France and England to help them against me, and then walk into some of their centres. A good plan, but it took too long to implement, and Italy seemed unwilling to consider my ideas – one of which was that I get into Tyrolia, and then take Vienna with two support while he cut Trieste. I then could have supported him into Trieste granting him the centre that Turkey should have given him years previously. I really think I could have taken the solo if Italy had been more interested in hearing my ideas than simply dictating the tactics and not always communicating them to me.

1908 - 1909
Turkey finally stabbed Italy by taking Venice. Italy again attempted to rally France against the tyrant, but to no avail. France was interested only in achieving a three way draw with Turkey and me. His idea was for Turkey to take Italy, Germany to take England, and France to be sitting in the middle as a balancing force. I didn’t like the idea of that at all and I told Turkey that this was the consequence of his stabbing me earlier. I just had to get that “I told you so” in there! In all honesty, he probably made the right choice in not working with me, as I probably would have been able to rally the others against him and win the game.

I made one final mistake in 1909, and that was to try for Brest instead of London. I may have been able to win the race to Iberia had I taken the other choice, but such is life. My attack on England hadn’t picked up the pace and I’d failed to take a French centre.

END GAME – “An Alliance of Superpowers”

France began pushing harder for the three-way draw by threatening to support Turkey if I broke certain agreed DMZ’s. I tested the waters to see if he’d do the same if Turkey did something similar and France confirmed, so my final hope at a solo was to get Turkey to play an inappropriate move. It was a slim hope, and I didn’t make a full commitment to it.
When France proposed the draw, I accepted, while asking Italy not to accept. I wasn’t ready to give up on a better outcome just yet! I felt accepting the draw would score me some points with France. It was at this point that Turkey sent me a message proposing a two-way draw with a 17-17 split. We would have to work together very closely and carefully to ensure that there would be no opportunity for the other to stab to 18. It was hard work, but we both agreed that we were the only ones who deserved victory in this game.

England and Italy breathed their last in 1910, England surrendering rather than waiting for the deadline for official elimination (why would you do this?).

1911-1916
The first step was for Turkey to bring his fleets to the western front in the Mediterranean, while I waited.

We would then both move into the DMZ’s at the same time. Something Turkey wrote to me just before this crucial move reminded me of the way he’d lied about supporting me into Vienna game years earlier. I decided to hold back and see if he would actually violate the French treaty. After all, if he did, no big deal – a two-way would still be the only way forward, if he didn’t France might actually support me to a solo. I even had a plan ready to give to France once he swore fealty to me. Alas, France was still consigned to achieving the three-way. I gave up on the solo, apologised profusely to Turkey, and together, we came up with a perfect plan to squeeze France.

We surrounded him:

Turkey would take Spain with my support:

Turkey would then go for Marseilles while I moved on Paris and Brest. I would move out of Tyrolia at my discretion.

Finally, Turkey would support me from Brest to Portugal, allowing me to still support the Mid Atlantic fleet with three at the same time. The final stalemate line is absolutely solid.

I’ve seen others on the forum saying that the Diplomacy purist should never accept a two way draw. I disagree. In this case a two-way draw was absolutely the best possible result that we could have got and we worked hard to improve it from a three way.

PLAYER ANALYSIS

bratsffl (France) – I never felt like I could negotiate with you well. We just didn't seem to be able to form a connection. You always seemed to either ask too much, or to have a solid line from which you would not budge no matter what I said. This was most prominent in the opening when you forced your way into Burgundy (although you may have had good reason), and when you took Munich instead of trusting that I wanted to attack England. I found myself disliking you and I think the feeling was mutual. Eventually, my feelings changed and I’ve come to regard you as a superior tactician, and a reasonable strategist. I still think your diplomacy could use some work though.

carolinaslim (England) – I’d like to give you a piece of advice: there is no such thing as a formal agreement in this game! The only formal agreements are the orders you submit. Another I would say is that you should never negotiate for more than you are worth. If you end up with a deal that is too good to be true, it probably is. I sent you endless messages while we were at war trying to get you to speak to me, maybe even cut some kind of deal and get you back into the game somehow, but you refused to acknowledge me. Grudges don’t really work very well in this game either. If you can sort these problems out I think you’d make a fine player – a great negotiator, a decent tactician, trustworthy.

FieldMarshalRommel (Russia) –The only thing I’d say is similar to that which I said to carolinaslim: negotiate from your position, not from the position you’d like to have. You should have conceded Warsaw to me. Although you went out early, I’d really like to hear your AAR on this game. Did you enter it with a preconceived strategy? An Eastern Triple and an early attack on Germany?

LakersFan (Austria) – You seemed like decent player and I got along with you well enough. I was aware that you were trying to get Turkey to attack me but there was never really any risk of it because Turkey and I communicated very well in the early game. I hope to play you again some time, I think you’d make a great ally and a formidable enemy (well, so long as you aren’t on the receiving end of a brutal Turkish stab!).

Nihilimus (Italy) – It was a shame you were too busy to play a major role until it was almost too late. I enjoyed working with you although we needed more time to discuss our ideas. I’m sorry I couldn’t crush Turkey for you in the end!

Tiankav (Turkey) – You were a very strong opponent. I enjoyed working with you against Russia, negotiating with you every step of the way, demonising you during “The Cold War”, and organising the final 17-17 split.

Thanks to all of you for playing. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. I tried to give as much of the relevent details as posisble, but I’m sure I’ve left plenty out. I hope you’ll all complete the AAR by adding your perspectives and filling in some of the gaps. I look forward to a re-match with any and all of you!
mem101

Postby Petunia » 01 Oct 2012, 19:23

Good AAR. Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed it.

I would say this game is one of the most legit 2-way (DIAS) draws I have ever seen.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Tiankav » 02 Oct 2012, 12:11

This was an interesting game. It would have been even more interesting if some players had been trying harder to win. This is my version of what happened. Sorry if my english is bad. It is not my primery language.

Opening 1901
I was playing Turkey in this game. In the beginning I tried to make non aggression pacts with all my neighbors. Austria was friendly and agreed that we should form an alliance against Italy. I also made an agreement with Russia about our borders. No one was allowed to move into the Black Sea. Italy never replayed to my messages. Therefore I felt it was the right thing to take him out of the game early. However as the negotiations continued it was clear that Austria would never allow me to take Greece. I was no longer so enthusiastic about the idea to attack Italy with Austria. I had two armies and I felt it was better to make use of them instead of waiting to get access to Italy. Germany had earlier been talking about how Turkey and Germany could join forces against Russia so I decided it was time to change strategy. I sent a message to Germany telling him I was willing to attack Russia with him. Our plans turned out great and Russia was quickly eliminated from the game.
While I was fighting Russia I always feared Austria would attack me. Germany had told me that Austria had a secret alliance with Italy against me and I knew Russia must be trying to convince him to join the war on his side. Anyway I believe Austria still believed we were going to attack Italy together. When I took Bulgaria, Rumania and Sevastopol I only built fleets and I was always talking about how we would move on Italy together as soon as my armada was big enough.

Fall 1903
At this time in the game I had two armies in Bulgaria and Rumania. Russia was defeated. Fleets in Black Sea, Ionian Sea, Agean Sea and Eastern Mediterranean. Me and Austria had already made some moves together against Italy. However Austria had left Budapest, Serbia and Greece undefended. I felt this was the right time for a stab. Free supply center close to your home are better than the ones that are far away. At this time I also received a message from Italy asking for help against Austria. I made some plans for him to take Trieste and Vienna and for me to take Budapest, Serbia and Greece. However Italy never made a move against Austria and ended up with nothing. I was very disappointed with Italy because I had hoped we could work together against Germany after Austria had been eliminated.
I realized that Germany and England were my greatest competition in this game. My plan was always to attack Germany after Austria had been eliminated. All the time I was planning to make a surprise move into the demilitarized zone in Sevastopol and Rumania but Germany made it difficult because of our demilitarized border agreement. My plan was to move my fleet in Sevastopol to the Black Sea, telling Germany I was moving my fleet against Italy, instead I was going to convoy an army to Sevastopol and at the same time move into Rumania. Although Italy had proved he was unable to fight a war I still hoped he would join me against Germany.

Fall 1905
Before it was time for me to make my big move against Germany I received a message from him in which he asks me for Vienna and Venice. I believe we had made some false plans earlier to attack Italy together. I agree that those centers should belong to Germany because at this time I felt it was better to appear friendly with Germany. My intention was never to give up anything to Germany. I just hoped to gain some time before Germany realized I was going to attack him. However Germany was really eager about moving into Vienna with my support immediately so I told him that he first has to break his alliance with England. Germany quickly agreed and I promised to support him into Vienna the same turn. At this time Germany and England were fighting together against France and they were winning. England was extremely exposed to a stab from Germany. The reason why I wanted Germany to attack England is because I believed this would cause England and France to ally against Germany. At the same time I would attack Germany in the east. Germany would be surrounded with enemies and eventually destroyed.
I never allowed Germany into Vienna but I was very happy when I saw that he had attacked England. Although England lost 2-3 centers I still believed that England and France together were more powerful than Germany, and with Turkey on their side Germany would have no chance.

Fall 1907
However thing didn’t go as I had planned. England lost interest in this game after the stab. Instead of forming an alliance against Germany all the smaller nations were fighting each other. France and England could have made a comeback if they had worked together. I tried to get them organized promising I would not make any moves against Italy as long as they were fighting Germany instead of each other. They didn’t listen. Instead of losing centers my enemy Germany continued to gain more centers from England while I was doing nothing. I still don’t understand why France and England didn’t form an alliance. They doomed themselves. Eventually I decided I could not sit back while Germany takes out the weaker nations so I finally made a move against Italy. Italy was just about to attack France thus making it even more easy for Germany to win the game. Now me and Germany were racing to get to 18 centers first.

End Game
After a few turn Italy and England were eliminated. Only France remained between me(Turkey) and Germany. France asked for a 3 way draw or he will help the side who doesn’t accept it to win the game. For a few turns both me and Germany try to convince France that the other one is trying to go for solo hoping this would bring France to our side. If anyone had tried to go for solo victory for real he would have lost the game because of France. Eventually we get tired of France and decide to share the victory in a 2 way draw. If there had been a way to go for solo victory and betray Germany I would have done it.
Tiankav

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby optimisms » 06 Jul 2017, 01:03

Wow. I stumbled on this completely at random but I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed that wild ride of a game
Petunia wrote:Good AAR. Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed it.

I would say this game is one of the most legit 2-way (DIAS) draws I have ever seen.

I completely agree
optimisms

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mem101 » 13 Jul 2017, 21:34

I've been away from the game and the site for well over a year. Yesterday I started poking around again thinking I'd like to start a game, and today I thought I'd take a look at the AAR section to see who's been stabbing who lately. To my surprise, right near the top of the list was my own AAR from 4 years ago.

Glad you enjoyed it, optimisms. It's a shame the images have been lost as there were some truly dramatic moments.
mem101

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)