World Diplomacy League (TM)

Advertise new games, look for games to join, find subs or replacements.

Moderator: Petunia

Forum rules
To join a game listed here (unless it needs a password) just go to "Join Games" and input the information.
If you are advertising any game with Anonymous Players (including Gunboat and PPO) you should use the Dolph Shtoss account using the password anonymous. DO NOT CHANGE THIS PASSWORD.
When advertising for replacement players please make it clear whether permanent replacement or temporary substitute
- adverts should not tell a substitute what actions you want them to take (posts will be subject to editing);
- adverts MUST NOT offer an incentive to join the game (eg. a specific alliance) OR suggest certain actions when joining a game (posts will be subject to editing or removal and posters warned).
These are considered meta-gaming by using the Forum to influence a game.

Re: World Diplomacy League (TM)

Postby mjparrett » 14 Nov 2017, 17:43

Thanks V I shall consider.

@JimB... does that mean when I solo in our game soon I have beaten a top player?! Chuckles.

As I said I like AARs and I will post one for each game. But they cannot be compulsory or have anything to do with the points. I think that is too far and also looks like it will put other people off.

Someone mentioned holidays. I'd like to think games could v postponed. Doesn't matter overly if there is a slight overlap in fixtures. I'm thinking of getting this started in January. Gives time to iron out details and recruit and stops Xmas getting in the way...
mjparrett

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1456
All-game rating: 1475
Timezone: GMT

Postby V » 14 Nov 2017, 18:01

Hi again,

Not sure my rather feeble mathematics is correct in previous suggestion. Don’t think a multiple of 6, +1 works.
There has to be a competent mathematician on this site (Guns of Brixton is good if I remember correctly) that could worked out the optimal league/division) size to achieve at least one game against all opponents, with the fewest repeat opponents.
Over to someone with better maths than I (any hedge fund managers lurking out there?)

V
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mjparrett » 14 Nov 2017, 18:06

Hi V, I was just about to reply the same thing! It is actually harder than you think ensuring all players play everyone at least once, and that you don't get some people playing three times against each other. Sadly there aren't many 7 player games in the world with fixture lists I can steal.

I thought I was good at Maths/Excel but this is proving tricky!
mjparrett

Postby V » 14 Nov 2017, 19:40

The best I could come up with (considering my dodgy maths) was a league/division unit size of 14, with 4 sets of paired fixtures that would allow an opportunity to play all 13 others, with many times playing somebody twice (but I think 3 times would be avoidable) Good Luck:-)
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby GPD » 14 Nov 2017, 20:48

joe92 wrote:If you want to encourage solo's you need to ensure that the score for a solo is worth more than twice as much as a 2 way, and more than thrice as much as a 3-way. Back to it, but the classicist scoring would do that better than the 12/6/etc proposed.

Solo = 22 points
2-way = 10 points
3-way = 6 points
4-way = 3 points
5-way = 1 point
6-way / 7-way / loss = 0 points

-2 point for a surrender is a good idea. I'd even support an harsher penalty of -5.

If the games are processed on the weekends some players like myself will have to drop out. If we're in the minority though you shouldn't change it to accommodate players like me. I'd be willing to do 24/24/24 with no processing on the weekends.

What would be the accommodation for holidays? Games paused or replacements required?

I agree with the sentiment on this, but one point I think is relevant is that a chance to get a two way is one way a lot of solos occur. If a two way is not much better than a three way, there is not much incentive to take the risk. I would prefer to see a bigger gap from two to three, rather than solo to two. Say, for instance,

Solo 30
Two way 20
Three way 10
Four way 5
Five way 1

Just my take on it. I did like the idea of the "medal table" approach though as well.

Regarding the number of games, maybe a "best of" approach, with a max number works. E.g. You can play any number of games, or as few as you like, but your best five count. Encourages people to make up the numbers if needed, but doesn't pressgang anyone into playing. If people only have time for two, they can still win the league, with solos.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Gold Classicist
I did WDC 2017
GPD

Standard rating: 1726
All-game rating: 1758

Postby mjparrett » 14 Nov 2017, 21:28

I just worry the best of approach will lead to people cherry picking the opposition. If you have a league of 20 people there would be nothing stopping you playing games against the lower half of table every time. Again my football analogy, but not fair if Manchester City get to play Swansea every week and never play Chelsea...
mjparrett

Postby GPD » 14 Nov 2017, 21:43

mjparrett wrote:I just worry the best of approach will lead to people cherry picking the opposition. If you have a league of 20 people there would be nothing stopping you playing games against the lower half of table every time. Again my football analogy, but not fair if Manchester City get to play Swansea every week and never play Chelsea...

Anonymity is the key. Use private messaging to arrange games. And you can spread that task between members of the group, so that you will only know one player you are not playing.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Gold Classicist
I did WDC 2017
GPD

Standard rating: 1726
All-game rating: 1758

Postby jimbobicus » 15 Nov 2017, 03:04

mjparrett wrote:@JimB... does that mean when I solo in our game soon I have beaten a top player?! Chuckles.

Good luck with that. Although I have to concede you've done pretty well at pulling the wool over peoples' eyes so far.

As for this thread... AARs - yes I can see that my ideas aren't getting support there.
I've also had a bit more thought on a completely alternate tournament structure ... if you wanted to go down a completely different route:
Lets say around 25 players sign up. We have a tournament of around 100 games. Each player can sign up to as many of these as they like. All games are anonymous and the first 7 to sign up play. Use country preferences system. For each player you record their best results for each of the 7 countries, so for example if you play two games with the same country, only your best result counts. Objective is most solos. When 2 players tie on that, you go to 2 way draws, if tied on that then 3 way draws and so on.
The top 7 players in the league then go through to a grand final whereby they have one match against each other. Person who came top gets 1st choice of country, 2nd place gets 2nd choice etc...
You'd get some interesting dynamics... some people might decide to just play 2 games and aim for 1 solo and a 3 way draw which would prob be enough to qualify for final. Others might go for lots of games but risk spreading their efforts too thinly. Some really good players might even try to solo with all 7 countries to get the perfect sweep - although that would be very hard to do. Also interesting dilemma if you get 3 way draw with favourite country, do you play another game with same country or choose one you haven't had any result with yet.
"A friend to all is a friend to none" - Aristotle
jimbobicus

Standard rating: 1693
All-game rating: 1599

Postby Thymelord13 » 15 Nov 2017, 03:59

Hello!
I'm interested. Don't have any thoughts on turns times or scoring.

Thanks!
Thymelord13

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (962)
All-game rating: (962)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby mjparrett » 15 Nov 2017, 11:08

@JimB sounds interesting... but I'll leave that for you or someone else to start up as a rival league :) My aim is to generate a set of fixtures, so that everyone plays everyone and gets maybe 3 or 4 games each. If when I come up with that fixture list people feel it is too much commitment I will go down the best 2 available results direction. But for now, that is my plan and I'm trying to stick with it :)
mjparrett

PreviousNext

Return to Find A Game