Design in Progress: Dissolution (1992 Variant)

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Design in Progress: Dissolution (1992 Variant)

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 05 Jan 2017, 23:36

EDIT: Jump to the next page to see the rules writeup (draft). Everything is still a bit in flux, but you should be able to get a good flavor of things.

Original Post...

What variants take place in the late 1980's or early 1990's? And are they any good?

I know only of Modern, which roughly gets the map correct but doesn't take into account any of the political realities of that time.
Modern at vDiplomacy

I'm thinking through what might be good for a post-Cold War variant, and I think the approach should be to have the game put the focus on different countries than what normally show up as Diplomacy powers, with a focus on Eastern Europe, the Balkans, the Middle East, and Central Asia.

Start Year: 1991
Players: 10
Potential Player Powers:
  • Poland
  • Kazakhstan
  • Yugoslavia (or just Serbia)
  • Iran
  • Syria
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Egypt
  • Romania
  • Czechoslovakia
  • Israel
  • Pakistan
  • Ukraine

Does this sound appealing to the PbF crowd? Or would the lack of the traditional France/Germany/Britain/Russia bunch turn folks away?
Last edited by NoPunIn10Did on 15 Feb 2017, 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
NoPunIn10Did
Gold Classicist & Benevolent Tyrant

Variant GM, Designer & Collaborator
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1291
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Brainstorm: Post-Cold War Variant

Postby Aeschines » 06 Jan 2017, 00:27

This is a great idea! I think shifting the focus to the more unstable regions of the world during that time would be really intriguing. Also, if you had an interest in adding additional rules, this setting would seem conducive to "interference" by non-player superpowers. I don't know what that would look like but it could also be intriguing.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1240)
All-game rating: (1515)

Postby Subotai45 » 06 Jan 2017, 01:12

How are the European powers going to interact with, say, Kazakhstan? Is Russia made of neutral SCs, or impassible? I'd almost advocate for having Russia as a power whose larger number of SCs would be counterbalanced by having more neighbors. Similar thing to a lesser extent with Turkey. Impassible works for both but could make interaction harder between regions, and making them neutral doesn't really approximate reality.
Empire of Venus
PM me if you're interested in Create Your Own Country!
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby asudevil » 06 Jan 2017, 01:42

I would have no issues playing whatever game from whatever region...as long as its a well balanced and nice looking map.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season [url=http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56016[/url]
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1355
All-game rating: 1525
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Jan 2017, 03:02

I can't begin to say how awesome it is to have Wikimedia Commons available for this type of design work.

This isn't anywhere remotely close to being an actual game map. It's just a piece of a global projection that I think captures the intended variant area well.

And the best part? It's already in SVG format.

NoPunIn10Did

NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Jan 2017, 03:13

Subotai45 wrote:How are the European powers going to interact with, say, Kazakhstan? Is Russia made of neutral SCs, or impassible? I'd almost advocate for having Russia as a power whose larger number of SCs would be counterbalanced by having more neighbors. Similar thing to a lesser extent with Turkey. Impassible works for both but could make interaction harder between regions, and making them neutral doesn't really approximate reality.

I actually have some thoughts on that. I'm going to base it on the DP-voting model, whereby there are neutral units whose actions are voted for secretly by players. Those neutral units never leave their home provinces until they're dislodged and destroyed.

The difference will be that some of the powers, like NATO (at least most of it) and Russia, will be permanent neutral units. They won't be able to be dislodged.

This would allow them to "meddle" in the affairs of the player powers throughout the entirety of the game without just becoming the player powers' easily-removed fodder.
NoPunIn10Did

NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 16 Jan 2017, 20:45

This is mostly a color test, since I haven't broken down internal borders or marked SCs yet. You can see most of the unit designs, though.

Player Powers:
  1. Egypt
  2. Ethiopia
  3. Iran
  4. Kazakhstan
  5. Pakistan
  6. Poland
  7. Romania
  8. Ukraine
  9. Saudi Arabia
  10. Yugoslavia

NATO, Russia, Israel, and India are all non-player-controlled powers that players will "negotiate" with using DP. Several of the tan or brown territories will contain Minor Powers that can also be negotiated with (and conquered).

I'm using Wings in this variant too (represented on the map by the chevrons), but I think I have an implementation for them figured out that will fit the theme of the game.
NoPunIn10Did

NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 09 Feb 2017, 05:37

Quite a bit more work since my last post...

Hosted on imgur: Dissolution Draft 20170208
NoPunIn10Did

NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby Subotai45 » 09 Feb 2017, 07:18

I love the setting and I'll probably play if you run it here, but those are a lot of neutral armies. How many DPs do people get? Is that the number next to the power name?
Empire of Venus
PM me if you're interested in Create Your Own Country!
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 09 Feb 2017, 15:46

Subotai45 wrote:I love the setting and I'll probably play if you run it here, but those are a lot of neutral armies. How many DPs do people get? Is that the number next to the power name?

Each player gets DP equal to the number of units they have on the map, up to a max of 4.
Each player can get one additional DP if they control at least one Oil SC (not yet marked on that map), making the real maximum 5.

Regardless of the above, every player (including each eliminated player) gets a minimum of 1 DP.

The numbers in the chart represent points. In this variant, each SC is worth either 1 or 2 points. Your unit count is half your point total rounded up. As such, powers with 5 or 6 points start with 3 units, and powers with 3 or 4 points start with 2 units.

There are lots of minor powers on the board (in different shades of brown), but the board will have fewer units overall as the game progresses, since many of those minor units occupy 1-point SCs.
NoPunIn10Did

NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Next

Return to Games in development