Brexit

A forum to seperate the more serious discussions from the lighter topics in Off-topic.

Re: Brexit

Postby V » 07 Jan 2018, 02:33

I used the word “deserve”, not “right”, intentionally.
If applying to any foreign land for residency, where there is no legal right to residence exists, it is the privilege of that land to expect something from the applicant in return for admittance. That’s all I’m saying & I think it entirely reasonable that any country should be entitled to expect that.

A legal right to residence is an entirely separate conversation, that I was not addressing.
My comment was a simple statement that residency applications, where no legal right exists, are usually not as onerous as folks make out. I’ve done many as you can see & was always admitted, even if it sometimes took up to a year to obtain approval for legal residency.

I do sympathise that it would appear a string of unfortunate circumstances have occurred that meant something you previously had as a right might now require an application. All I said was that the application is usually little more than a formality & no one should ever forsake any dreams or ambitions over such trivial issues.

Your desire to live & work in places like Romania reminds me of myself many years past & is admirable. If England reappears on your list of preferred destinations, I wouldn’t let a silly residency application prevent any future aspiration. That’s all I said & I don’t think it in any way makes me a bad person. You’re very quick to make judgemental statements about folks who mean no ill to yourself, or others.
Last edited by V on 07 Jan 2018, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby BlunderCity » 07 Jan 2018, 02:34

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I see your point, but I don't think your parallel really works that well. One corrupt system was replaced with a slightly less corrupt but just as if not more exploitative system. Uber is better for consumers, for sure, but it's usually worse for the drivers.

Is that better? I'm not sure. I kinda don't think so, but YMMV (pun intended).

Actually, it's not Uber that destroyed the core of the earnings of taxi drivers. It's satellite navigation technology. Driving a taxi went from a skilled job to an unskilled one. In the past, to be a taxi driver, you needed to: 1- know how to drive 2- Know your way and know the street names. Today with sat nav, you only need to know how to drive. So the earnings of taxi drivers was going to come down anyway because we went from a situation where only trained drivers could do the job to anyone can do the job.

The bits of profits that Uber captured was the part that was due to the cartelisation of the industry. For decades, taxi lobbies were in bed with politicians to artificially reduce the number of taxis so prices remained high. I can think of no reason why we should accept that the taxi industry worked like the oil industry. in fact, cartels are illegal in most advanced economies.

There is no corruption on the part of Uber, just the fact that driving a taxi is no longer as lucrative at it once was. If drivers feel exploited, let them do something else. If that's the only thing they can do, then they need to learn other skills. Driving a taxi is now just an entry level job.
BlunderCity

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1416
All-game rating: 1422
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby BlunderCity » 07 Jan 2018, 02:44

V wrote:That’s all I’m saying & I think it entirely reasonable that any country should be entitled to expect that.

No it's not reasonable because I cannot change the past. It's very different than saying any new applicant is subject to different rules, it's entirely their choice to live in the UK and you can't expect to get everything that you want. If you've spent three quarters of your adult life in a country, you are intrinsically linked to that place. It's not entirely your choice.
BlunderCity

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1416
All-game rating: 1422
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby V » 07 Jan 2018, 02:51

OK, you feel that way, then we disagree on a detail.
I lived over 12 years of my adult life in Africa (at one time that was over half) but have no rights whatsoever there, now that I have left.
I later lived over 12 years in USA, during which I applied for and obtained citizenship. There I have rights. If legal rights are to be expected, then legal processes have to be followed.
That’s just reality that our views are not going to alter.
Platinum Classicist
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
V

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1674
All-game rating: 1699
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to Debates