Comparing FtF and PlayDiplomacy Player Pools + webDiplomacy

Anything about the Diplomacy game in general.

Re: Comparing FtF and PlayDiplomacy Player Pools + webDiplom

Postby Sparrowhawk » 12 Aug 2017, 02:23

I will say i'm playing with a top FtF player right now, and he is by far one of the worst players I've ever seen
I am my teacher on Webdip
Sparrowhawk

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1224
All-game rating: 1202
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Comparing FtF and PlayDiplomacy Player Pools + webDiplom

Postby DQ » 13 Aug 2017, 07:25

Sparrowhawk wrote:I will say i'm playing with a top FtF player right now, and he is by far one of the worst players I've ever seen

Tough to judge a player based on one game - and especially in a different variant than the one they are well-ranked in? I've played games where the decisions I made were just flat out wrong - very hard to bat 1000. And when things are going sideways, a player can make high-risk choices in an attempt to get back in the game, since playing it safe just means dying eventually - which can look from the outside like bad play. I don't know, you might be right - but I don't know anyone who I think of as in the top 100 F2F players who is flat out _bad_ at the game. But I'll grant that in the back half of that group you have folks who are streaky, or play one power especially badly, or have other quirks that hold them back.

Not to re-hash this thread (which I somehow, thankfully? missed when it was going on), but the time you have to consider moves in online play makes a huge difference in the quality of decisions made. Now, not everyone uses all that time, etc., but for a given value of "the best tactical move set is X" you are going to get closer to X without time pressure.

And, communication modes are different - its much easier for some people to be charming in person, where body language, tone, and presence matter. It seems to be a fair bit easier to be a jerk online, though lord knows we get enough of that in F2F as well.

As Nanook said, its comparing Lemons and Limes.
Stab you soon!
DQ

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Previous

Return to Diplomacy Lore