Hover assist now default (but you can disable it)

Official announcements from the creators

Hover assist now default (but you can disable it)

Postby super_dipsy » 07 Oct 2017, 07:38

This is such a small thing that it almost doesn't seem to be worth a full announcement, but since it changes the way the game looks it is worth mentioning.

Some players already use the Hover Assist function, which shows you as you move around the map (in a hovering text window) what units are in a territory, who they belong to and who owns the territory. This was added originally to help people who may be colour blind or just generally find it difficult to determine colour differences such as England / Austria etc.. It can also be useful in a Retreat scenario where the units are close together to confirm which unit is retreating.

Recent discussion on the forum has highlighted the fact that for new players in particular it is a really useful feature. Old hands know that sometimes units can look like they may be in one territory when in fact they are in an adjacent one, especially with very small territories, but newbies can get confused. But in fact, other discussions have pointed out that even experienced players find the facility useful, but many of them do not in fact know it exists! This is because the default is for it to be OFF and you have to enable it through the My Account page.

What we are going to do is two things:
- We are going to make assisted display the default, so that newbies can benefit from it
- Since it seems many players do not know it exists, we are going to turn it in for ALL existing players

Obviously some players will not want this on; some may find it irritating for instance. But this is easy to fix - just go to my account and disable it :) . The 'enable for all' is a one-off thing because otherwise we have no way of alerting people who rarely use the forum it exists. Once it is done, if you decide to turn it off it will stay off.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Hover assist now default

Postby Hybrid » 07 Oct 2017, 07:57

Small update, big impact. I'm sure most people didn't even know the feature existed. Thanks for turning it on by default.
-Steve
Hybrid
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1197
All-game rating: 1129
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Hover assist now default (but you can disable it)

Postby The SHIV » 11 Oct 2017, 14:56

I haven't seen anything hovering anywhere?
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1199
All-game rating: 1284
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Shyvve » 11 Oct 2017, 15:07

Lol The SHIV. Look for the little helicopter icon thingamajiggy.
Shyvve
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1262
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby super_dipsy » 11 Oct 2017, 15:26

As you move the cursor over a territory, you will see a pop-up saying what is in the territory. In the below snip, you will see the hover window when I moved the cursor to MAO

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (155.54 KiB) Viewed 455 times
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Big Gun » 12 Oct 2017, 09:53

I love this feature. In Versailles I often get confused when Egyptian, Spanish and English fleets are all engaged together. So this really helps! Thank you
Big Gun
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1419
All-game rating: 2468

Postby edmgrim » 12 Oct 2017, 17:35

Took me a while to check it out. But now that I did, I love it. But I would love it even more if it could be adapted so that, when hovering over a territory that you owned, the tip also showed its order status. For example, assuming I was Turkey :

Marseilles (ITALY)
Fleet (TURKEY)
Orders (MOVE Spain South Coast)

-- or --

Marseilles (ITALY)
Fleet (TURKEY)
Orders (None)
edmgrim

Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1057
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby super_dipsy » 13 Oct 2017, 06:53

edmgrim wrote:Took me a while to check it out. But now that I did, I love it. But I would love it even more if it could be adapted so that, when hovering over a territory that you owned, the tip also showed its order status. For example, assuming I was Turkey :

Marseilles (ITALY)
Fleet (TURKEY)
Orders (MOVE Spain South Coast)

-- or --

Marseilles (ITALY)
Fleet (TURKEY)
Orders (None)

What an interesting thought! My only concern would be would it clutter things up too much (some orders can be long such as Livonia Support Barents Sea to St.Petersburg (North Coast). But it could really be good. I might try ti out and then if it seems to look OK we could trial it. I will raise a Suggestions thread for it anyway (better there than here ;) )
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RichardListens » 17 Oct 2017, 18:26

It doesn't seem to work for me. Please can someone tell me how to I check I haven't turned it off by mistake?
Aspiring Classicist
RichardListens
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1079
All-game rating: 1060

Postby edmgrim » 17 Oct 2017, 19:09

RichardListens wrote:It doesn't seem to work for me. Please can someone tell me how to I check I haven't turned it off by mistake?

1: At the top right, click "My Account"
2:In "Game Display Options" make sure that "Show territory / unit ownership details on hover" is checked.
edmgrim

Standard rating: 1049
All-game rating: 1057
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Announcements