New STATS and RATINGS now Live!

Official announcements from the creators

Re: New STATS and RATINGS coming soon

Postby uzes90 » 16 Jul 2017, 17:42

I notice that Chaos and Age of Empies has been omitted. Was this done for a reason?

Is it possible to combine categories? Say Fog+Chaos+1900 ? or just Fog+Chaos? I know there a number of players that just play Fog+Chaos.

Not a big deal but just curious.

Thanks
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 2179
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 16 Jul 2017, 17:45

Buachaille wrote:
Conq wrote:Yeah but am I still #1?

You'll always be number one in my eyes Conq. :oops:

I told him like we agreed, you know it's not true Karma, you're the only one

I think they both believed me Charlie

You lied to me. :cry:
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby super_dipsy » 17 Jul 2017, 06:56

uzes90 wrote:I notice that Chaos and Age of Empies has been omitted. Was this done for a reason?

Is it possible to combine categories? Say Fog+Chaos+1900 ? or just Fog+Chaos? I know there a number of players that just play Fog+Chaos.

Not a big deal but just curious.

Thanks

No. As the original announcement said, we can't have everything, so adding the map, Gunboat and Fog rating cuts replaces the old ones (Fleet Rome, Build Anywhere, AoE, Winter 1900 and Chaos). Also, combining would be a real problem too.

The reason is that in order to have a rating for a particular category, each player must have an individual rating for that category which has to change each game in order to build up the correct entry. It isn't something that can be worked out on the fly. So for example, if you wanted to ask for Fog + Chaos + 1900, there is no way to be able to work out at that time what your rating would be for that combination because you would have to essentially go back to game 1 and rework that combination in all games by all players to come up with your rating today. The ones we do keep are all calculated and stored at the time, so there is basically a 'running total' so when a player requests that information we can call it up immediately. So if we had to support all the possible cuts, instead of the current 9 available ratings per player that have to be calculated and saved each time we would have hundreds!

However....in order to change everything, I had to build a time machine to rewind and then rework each rating 'bucket'. This means that if we decide at some point that we want to add an extra one, it is just a matter of running it again for the new option. I am not advocating we start adding new ones because I think it would quickly become far too complicated for players, but if the membership were all broken-hearted about one option and wanted to have that added, that could be done. But that would be something for the future. The reason we went with the buckets we have is that these are the ones that we have had most interest in and that seem to make the most sense. When you think about it, AoE or Winter 1900 for example are not vastly different from normal Diplomacy. Fleet Rome is hardly played and virtually identical to clasic Diplomacy. Chaos is just normal Diplomacy but with scrambled starting locations a bit like escalation but without the fun of having to place the units, and to be honest I am not sure why we allow ranked Chaos since it brings a large element of luck in. BA is quite a big change, I admit. But Gunboat and Fog are clearly major changes to the game, as are the different maps (apart from Milan). They also have definite 'followings', and hence the interest in having data cuts for them.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby uzes90 » 17 Jul 2017, 13:11

OK. Thanks for the explanation.

And thanks for your hard work.
uzes90
Premium Member

Location: ...appears here and there - now and then - to this one and that one...
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 2179
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 17 Jul 2017, 13:12

Ooops. Something didn't work right. I have restored the old while I work it out. All worked fine in test, maybe I forgot something.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MichaelG » 18 Jul 2017, 15:24

Nice work!
MichaelG

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Guns of Brixton » 18 Jul 2017, 18:33

Till tomorrow then?
Platinum Classicist
Mentor
Guns of Brixton
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1663
All-game rating: 1733

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Jul 2017, 21:16

Found the problem. Silly thing. Always harder to debug when it only shows up on Live, coz I can't put any traps in!

But I've got it now. Probably take a shot tomorrow late morning UK time is my guess.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Conq » 19 Jul 2017, 04:39

* Frantically screenshots, for posterity's sake.
Conq
Premium Member

Standard rating: 2420
All-game rating: 2594
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby gsmx » 19 Jul 2017, 07:37

You got that super generous bar mitzvah cheque i sent you, right dipsy?

Mazel tov!!
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx
Premium Member

Standard rating: 2172
All-game rating: 2574
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements