11 Generals? In ONE GAME?!

Official announcements from the creators

11 Generals? In ONE GAME?!

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Jun 2017, 09:14

When we did Escalation, we could only support the normal game maximum for each map. This is because to do more than that needed imaging / photoshop skills. However, then SaltySailor came riding over the horizon to save the day!

SS did the graphics for the later maps like Versailles and loads of other stuff, but had taken a bit of a break. His return though has allowed us to complete Escalation in all its glory! With much effort and hard work, SS has created the necessary graphics for us to have up to 11 players on any of the maps that support Escalation, which is all but Versailles. We still haven't got Versailles into the mix, but it is on the list.

So you can now have up to ELEVEN players on the classic, 1900, Milan and even Ancient med maps (that HAS to be pretty crowded!).

But this does bring up some other issues. We have already had some suggestions from people about the confusion that having a country name causes in Escalation because since you place all your units you may have no relation to any particular country on the map. With eleven players this is even more likely to be an issue. Particularly for newer players, they may find it hard to get their heads around messaging Russia when Russia is in England :) . So for a bit of a change, all new games of escalation will not be played with countries, but with Generals! OK, a bit of poetic licence here, they are all WWI and WWII generals, which may look a bit odd on an Ancient Med map, but no more odd than playing with Sharks and Dinos ;) . In order to enable players to judge who is who, escalation maps will now have the generals listed around the legend together with their colours. For eleven player games this is very important because some of the colours are quite close (players of Versailles will recognize the extra ones!). In fact, the strong advice is to use the 'hover' assist facility that you activate through the My Account tick box so you can easily check the ownership of units in a territory.

When playing with more players, the minimum unit selection remains at 3. So in other words, in an eleven player game the board will start Spring 1901 with 33 units on the board :o . Going to be a bit cramped I think...

So summarizing (assuming ti works!):
- Escalation now supports up to eleven players
- Players will now be Generals rather than Countries
- The legend will tie generals to colours, but the 'hover' facility is the best way to identify particularly if you are playing with eleven
- Eleven players can now play on all the maps other than Versailles
- Remember you can't rank an escalation game

Huge thanks to SaltySailor, the baddest Photoshopper around :D

P.S. In case anyone thinks I have forgotten about the ranking buckets stuff, absolutely not. Just takes time to recreate alternate reality ;)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Re: 11 Generals? In ONE GAME?!

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 18 Jun 2017, 20:36

Mind is blown away...! :shock: :D
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
and Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

The Picts, in Excalibur,
The Gothi in Imperium,
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1005
All-game rating: 1017

Postby ColonelApricot » 19 Jun 2017, 00:54

Brilliant, love it. Way better than Chaos.

Looking forward to escalation Versailles too.
Ethiopia in Dissolution
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 979
All-game rating: 1407

Postby DannyKelly » 19 Jun 2017, 02:53

Awesome !!!
Thanks.
DannyKelly
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1114
All-game rating: 915
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Groo » 19 Jun 2017, 07:12

If I were not a poor student without a job, I'd buy premium ASAP :o
it's still on my bucket list though, I know it's cheap. :lol:
Groo

Standard rating: 1457
All-game rating: 1460

Postby Hybrid » 10 Aug 2017, 06:35

Not sure if anyone was following this game but it recently finished. Game was very fun to play and I'd recommend it if anyone hasn't tried this variant. Congrats to the winners, hope to see you all in future games.

A quick side note; Nice job to Machor for holding in with only one star, excellent example of why you should never surrender no matter how bad stuff gets.
-Steve.
Hybrid
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1154
All-game rating: 1004
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Announcements