Mentor Game - January 1, 2018 - started

If you are new to the site, and especially if you are new to the game, this might be a good way to start some games. Mentors will help with the mechanics of the game.

Moderator: WHSeward

Mentor Game - January 1, 2018 - started

Postby Jack007 » 23 Dec 2017, 13:22

Mentor games are for beginners to play together and learn the basics of Diplomacy and how the website interface works, with an experienced player available to answer questions & provide encouragement. Any player that thinks they might benefit from a teaching game is welcome.

Looking to play your first game?
Have played before, but it was some time ago and feel rusty?
New to PlayDip and want to get used to the interface?
Been on site for a while and would like some pointers?
All are welcome. We ask only that you commit to seeing the game through to completion, because leaving a game partway through disrupts the experience for the remaining players. The duration of Diplomacy games can vary widely, but you can expect to be in the game for about two months if you do well. Should unforeseen life circumstances mean you need to quit, please let us know a.s.a.p. so that we can line up a replacement, rather than abandoning the game without notice.

If you are interested in playing, either reply in this thread or use the site PM system to contact me. This game is scheduled to begin on 1st of January, but we will start whenever we get a full set of seven players. If you sign up on this thread but don't get a place, you will get priority in the next mentor game.

Information on our current mentor game below...

Game No: 138614
Game Name: Mentor Game - January 1, 2018
Deadlines: 2/1/1 (movement/retreats/builds, in days)

Your mentor will be: Jack007

Participants:
Ikonoklast
Puzzleleafs
UBZugzwang
dobiszu
Bengal Tiger
ebobo
AntiStateQuixote

Priority list: (players already signed up on previous mentor game threads)
Bloggix
Tim von Bismarck
SanderSieswerda74
Nicolaas
Dduck118
AA852
coltfour
Dray888dyoc
WindmillCrusader
AppleSavannah
CromCruach
Kamato

The priority list consists of previous signups who haven't yet had a chance to play in a mentor game. They (along with the enough players from this thread's new signups list to fill the board) will get a two-day priority window to join this game before the password is sent out to all new signups.

Veteran players fill open spots from any surrenders in our games. If you are a vet and interested in helping the teaching effort, please let us know and we will add you to the veteran standby list. Mentors do not play in their own game.

Standby veteran players:
cesspitt
otagotasolo
Gwalchmai
TiberiusG58
condude1
revkev12
joe92
nanooktheeskimo
Frenchie07001
dangerboy
Lionlaw
zillusion
AngelEyesGBU
prgm
Bromley86
Durkeety
Cardlinger
Gavrilo Princip
balamory
wrk4thjkr
drintoul
xavier77
gnaah
kwc
springbutt46
Pb10gon
tullys
edmgrim
bindlestiff
Antigonos
GhostEcho
GPD
Last edited by Jack007 on 02 Jan 2018, 15:04, edited 11 times in total.
Jack007 (3 Stars) stripped off all medals by the admiralty partially rehabilitated
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
- Bushido (The book of the samurais)
Jack007
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1546
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Mentor Game - January 1, 2018 - SIGN UP

Postby Kamato » 25 Dec 2017, 08:05

I am interested in joining this game. I have never played before, and have a very basic understanding of the game.
Kamato

Re: Mentor Game - January 1, 2018 - SIGN UP (2/7)

Postby Jack007 » 25 Dec 2017, 14:07

Hi, I'm Jack007, your mentor of the battle, sort of a Rasputin. However, I gonna show you some aspects of the Diplomacy game, help with the interface, give tips about strategy and tactics, where to find resources, how to communicate and behave psychologically. We may also talk about variants and other ways to play diplomacy. And of course, I will answer all your questions. 8-)

Kamato, you have been sent a private message with the password. You may join the game yourself. Link to game

Actually there are 5 open spots left. They will be filled within a few days, likely. Anybody who wants to play with us please leave a little post here or send me a private message. There are no conditions of admission, just consider that the game will last around 3 months, so that's approx. until Easter. It is important that the players stay at the game and don't leave before the end.

So long.. see you soon
Jack007 (3 Stars) stripped off all medals by the admiralty partially rehabilitated
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

There is no greater solitude than the samurai's, unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
Jack007
Premium Member

Postby UBZugzwang » 25 Dec 2017, 14:59

Hi. I’m new to the game. Can I join the mentoring game?
UBZugzwang

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 971
All-game rating: 971
Timezone: GMT

Postby GPD » 25 Dec 2017, 15:03

I did at one point forward my name as a stand-in/helper/tutor. Happy to help with these games if needed at any point.

Happy Christmas everyone!
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017
GPD

Standard rating: 1756
All-game rating: 1789

Postby Jack007 » 26 Dec 2017, 13:30

GPD wrote:I did at one point forward my name as a stand-in/helper/tutor. Happy to help with these games if needed at any point.

Hi GPD and my best xmas wishes to you, too.

Shall I put you on the veteran's list as a standby substitute? Or do you want to run a mentor game yourself?
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Postby GPD » 26 Dec 2017, 13:38

Jack007 wrote:
GPD wrote:I did at one point forward my name as a stand-in/helper/tutor. Happy to help with these games if needed at any point.

Hi GPD and my best xmas wishes to you, too.

Shall I put you on the veteran's list as a standby substitute? Or do you want to run a mentor game yourself?

Probably best put me down as a standby, so I can see how they are run. Then later I might be ok to run them if needed.
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Never NMR(Damnit!), Never Surrender
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017
GPD

Standard rating: 1756
All-game rating: 1789

Postby Jack007 » 26 Dec 2017, 14:31

GPD wrote:Probably best put me down as a standby, so I can see how they are run. Then later I might be ok to run them if needed.

Ok done, you're on the list now. These games are essentially school games with you (the mentor) as the teacher. So you won't play but you may chat with the players via ingame messages and PP. Might be time consuming, depending your mentoring style. Further reading here.
Member of the Honorables
Singer of the Praises

Jack007
Premium Member

Re: Mentor Game - January 1, 2018 - SIGN UP (3/7)

Postby dobiszu » 26 Dec 2017, 16:00

Hi, I am a beginner, played only "live" games twice (board games with real people, not online:). I would like to join as a player to be guided. Is it still possible ?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Regards, Ula
dobiszu

Re: Mentor Game - January 1, 2018 - SIGN UP (3/7)

Postby Bengal Tiger » 27 Dec 2017, 14:38

Hello, I am interested in participating in this mentor game. I played Diplomacy yesterday (board game) with friends and just want to learn more!
Bengal Tiger

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1000
Timezone: GMT+2

Next

Return to Mentoring