Surrendering

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Re: Surrendering

Postby rd45 » 16 Jun 2017, 09:43

Bromley86 wrote:Server-generated games! In addition to the idea that there should "always be a non-ranked game available with vacancies", which I took to mean there should always be such a game advertised on the Home page, there's scope for the Classicists to always have a Casual game on offer there. And an Ambassador game. The only downside I can see, aside from real estate, is people joining games that they haven't really thought about, but I'm scrabbling for cons here.

Massive +1 from me for server-generated games.

New member joins? There's a server-generated game sat right there waiting for you, and even better, it has 4 or 5 or 6 people signed up already who joined that same day. They were all guided towards it (call it the recommended starter game or whatever) when they signed up. It'll be full in no time, and as soon as it is there'll be another one auto-created for the next new joiner.

Your game just finished? Because you checked the box in your user profile that's marked "Auto Enrol in New Games", there's an email right there in your inbox with the details of a new server-generated game, with the 2/1/1 moves that you also marked as preferred in your user profile, to which six other players of similar ranking (+/- a couple of hundred points or so) have also been invited. Just click on "confirm", and you're up & running in your next game.

That whole sad & sorry list of forgotten games that nobody will ever join, and which will be swept up into the dustbin after a month? They never even get created, because why bother? There's already a game that's ready for you.

But wait! I have special requirements! I like my games exactly like THIS! You can't make me join a standard game! No problem, nothing changes for you. Just uncheck the auto-enrol box, and continue as you were.

Mods, feel free to move this post (or the whole thread?) to Suggestions if it makes more sense there.
rd45

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1343
All-game rating: 1366
Timezone: GMT

Postby ColonelApricot » 16 Jun 2017, 11:01

rd45 wrote:But wait! I have special requirements! I like my games exactly like THIS! You can't make me join a standard game! No problem, nothing changes for you. Just uncheck the auto-enrol box, and continue as you were.

Specify "THIS" (call it "My Favorite") in your auto-enrol profile (not just a check box) and autoenrol works for special requirements too! - just need to add "autocreate" for users with that profile who are ready to play.
Ethiopia in Dissolution
GRU of the Despicables
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 979
All-game rating: 1395

Postby rd45 » 16 Jun 2017, 12:31

ColonelApricot wrote:
rd45 wrote:But wait! I have special requirements! I like my games exactly like THIS! You can't make me join a standard game! No problem, nothing changes for you. Just uncheck the auto-enrol box, and continue as you were.

Specify "THIS" (call it "My Favorite") in your auto-enrol profile (not just a check box) and autoenrol works for special requirements too! - just need to add "autocreate" for users with that profile who are ready to play.

Yes - that's even better. Each player has the chance to set preferences for their favourite game type in their profile. Then, when server-generated games are created, the players whose preferences match that game type (and have auto-enrol enabled) get a notification / invitation to join. The most-often selected preferences govern which game types get auto-generated.
rd45

Standard rating: 1343
All-game rating: 1366

Previous

Return to PlayDip Academy