Talking to Other People

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Talking to Other People

Postby rwarner305 » 04 Apr 2017, 04:05

I just started my first game and no one is talking. Isn't that the entire point of the game??
rwarner305

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (976)
All-game rating: (976)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Talking to Other People

Postby Carebear » 04 Apr 2017, 04:09

rwarner305 wrote:I just started my first game and no one is talking. Isn't that the entire point of the game??

Yes, it is. Unfortunately, you never know what you are going to get in the casual games here.

If you know the game, I recommend setting up a password invitational until you get one under your belt. Then, you can join the Classicists and join and start Classicist games. After three games, there is Ambassador Only that helps too.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby rwarner305 » 04 Apr 2017, 04:19

I'm sorry I don't really know what all those words you used mean exactly? What do I need to do?

What do I do in a game where no one communicates??
rwarner305

Postby Zosimus » 04 Apr 2017, 04:25

Be a very good tactician.
Be more aggressive.
Zosimus

Standard rating: (1723)
All-game rating: (1756)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 04 Apr 2017, 04:28

Some people use the term "casual game" meaning any random game on the site that is not setup with care concerning participants.

I recommend trying to cajole the players in the press to communicate. You could surrender out of the game, but that has negative consequences for gaining Ambassador status or joining the Classicists group.

You can learn about the Classicists here: viewforum.php?f=118

After three games without surrender and few NMRs, the system will change your Class from Diplomat to Ambassador. This enables you to play Ambassador Only games which are of better quality.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Bromley86 » 04 Apr 2017, 04:41

We're not allowed to give specific advice on moves within a particular game. However, in general, if no one is talking, it's often best to open in a probing but defensive/flexible manner. For example, Austria has the Hedgehog, Russia has the Octopus, etc. After the first turn, you can see if anyone has NMRed (no movement received), who's targetting who, etc, and might have more luck talking with people.

Regarding the Classicists, while I support them (see sig :) ), they're not a real solution as the games are too infrequent. Advertising a game in Find a Game on the forum, even without a password, will get you a quality game. Becoming an Ambassador (a player rank you achieve, IIRC, by completing 3 games start-to-finish without surrendering) will also solve the problem because, as mentioned, you can join Ambassador-only games. The easiest way to do that is to finish this game without surrendering and, at the same time, play 2 Gunboat games (these are games where the comms are switched off, so they progress much faster).

Having said all that, it's massively unusual to join even a normal game on the site and have no-one talk to you. I've never played in a No rank; I wonder if that's the issue? If it's a ranked game, people have another incentive to talk, as people that play Diplomacy as if every game is gunboat will not do well.
Last edited by Bromley86 on 04 Apr 2017, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1884
All-game rating: 2257
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby rwarner305 » 04 Apr 2017, 05:15

Thanks for all the help!
rwarner305

Postby ColonelApricot » 04 Apr 2017, 05:34

You could always try "The first to reply to this message will get all the help I am able to give". If you get multiple replies then you have a choice of allies (no need to tell them who actually was first)! If you get no replies then you will just have to help yourself.
Ethiopia in Dissolution
GRU of the Despicables
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 979
All-game rating: 1395

Postby The SHIV » 04 Apr 2017, 11:44

First, always remember, never surrender. Second, kill them all off one by one. ;)

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's an Admirals Cheesehead! Go Pack!
The SHIV
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1197
All-game rating: 1296

Postby sock » 04 Apr 2017, 19:56

You need to approach the game, especially with new players, just as if you entered the room of a cocktail party filled with people you don't know.

Do you sit back and wait for people to come to you? Or do you approach people and strike up conversations? You need to take the latter approach.

But what do you talk about? Well, just like a cocktail party, you don't want to bore people or even get down to business too quickly. I have found that a light and humorous approach to everything works best from the start. That's a great way to sense out the personalities of the different people on the board and more importantly, get a sense of what they want. Mutual interests go a long way to having conversations.

But usually if no one is talking to you, that's a bad sign. Or your deodorant isn't working.
Live a little. Laugh a lot.

Gold member, Classicists
sock

Standard rating: (1149)
All-game rating: (1212)

Next

Return to PlayDip Academy