How to use point and click for orders

New to the game? New to the site? Wanting to find a mentor game? Have a look here.

Moderator: WHSeward

Re: How to use point and click for orders

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 07 Dec 2016, 23:39

Under the Guides>quick start tab, there's a link to the rule book as well as to introductory videos, and under the Guides>game rules tab there are the game rules (there's a link in the quick start tab to the game rules tab). Also under guides, there's a new player tab and an FAQ tab. That seems pretty straightforward, and if you don't like to read, well...online diplomacy is probably not for you then.

The point about the forum being byzantine is fair. That's why I listed it as the least likely to happen or work. It definitely has a learning curve to navigation if you've never used it or one similar to it before.

Edit: Seward beat me to it.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Blitzkrieg

Cornubia

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1190
All-game rating: 1288
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 07 Dec 2016, 23:56

WHSeward wrote:Yup. Check out the Guides tab and walk through the first 3 or 4 tabs and you will see. The truth is that the Quick Start tab videos are all anyone needs for a first game.

I don't recall any of those videos being about the PlayDip interface or the fact it will allow illegal orders. Most online game interfaces (including other Diplomacy sites) don't allow entry of illegal moves. I like that it does as it reflects the F2F aspects. But, for newbies that can be confusing.

During the registration process, does it send the player to this tab?
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby WHSeward » 08 Dec 2016, 01:14

I don't know what the PlayDip reg process does. The Quick Start Page explicitly states that illegal orders are allowed. I am not aware that we have many users that can't figure out how to use the interface. The issue is that people try to play without knowing the rules.

Let me quote a well worn IT maxim: software will not solve your people issues.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1593
All-game rating: 1606
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Foibleson » 08 Dec 2016, 01:46

I'm just wondering what kind of people are in the nonranked games, it seems like it's hard to find a good non-ranked game that doesn't have "newbies" in them. Lots of people forgetting build orders, NMR's, illegal orders. Not very many messages either. But the more experienced players seem to always play ranked.

I know this is a bit off-topic. Perhaps I'll start a few ambassador-only non-ranked games and see if anybody joins.
Foibleson

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1075
All-game rating: 1095
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby ColonelApricot » 08 Dec 2016, 09:21

For anyone unsure of the validity or effect of theirs and opponents orders I recommend going to the "Orders Solver" immediately to the right of the "Games" tab.

The game positions for an active game (except Fog) can be downloaded into the orders table and proposed orders entered to give the result that will show outcomes including any illegal orders.
Ethiopia in Dissolution
ColonelApricot
Premium Member

Standard rating: 979
All-game rating: 1395
Timezone: GMT

Postby Redhouselawyer » 09 Feb 2017, 20:09

Is there a way to waive a build and finalize? I am in a situation where I have more builds than open home centers. Game let me finalize orders but won't process the next turn, saying I have 1 order remaining even though finalized. Please let me know.
Redhouselawyer

Standard rating: 1557
All-game rating: 1577
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 09 Feb 2017, 20:44

Redhouselawyer wrote:Is there a way to waive a build and finalize? I am in a situation where I have more builds than open home centers. Game let me finalize orders but won't process the next turn, saying I have 1 order remaining even though finalized. Please let me know.

You've done it correctly--the turn isn't moving forward because you aren't the only one with orders to enter. You don't have to finalize to waive the builds (or in your case, extra builds), that is optional. When you do finalize, even in an orders phase, it does not matter whether you have entered all your possible orders or not (so for example, by not entering any orders and clicking finalize, you will NOT receive an NMR but all your units will Hold, as they haven't received any orders).
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Blitzkrieg

Cornubia

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1190
All-game rating: 1288
Timezone: GMT-5