Othello Diplomacy - Sign Ups 7/7 - Reserves Welcome

GMd by Morg; 4-way dsraw between Austria (connect4), France (Pedros), Italy (drrnwrstlr), and Russia (EpicDim)

Othello Diplomacy - Sign Ups 7/7 - Reserves Welcome

Postby Morg » 01 Dec 2013, 12:08

Othello.gif
Othello.gif (59.96 KiB) Viewed 661 times

Same map, mostly standard rules. Well, why do all the units have a pair of letters on them, you ask. Because in Othello Diplomacy the units aren't loyal to their home countries, they are loyal to whichever country owns their home city.

Thus if a French unit captures Constantinople for example, not only does it capture the city, but all the units ever built in Constantinople become French. If a unit originally built in Constantinople occupies an SC at the end of fall that year, then that SC also becomes French as do any units that were built in that city and so the cycle can continue.

This amplifies the power of stabs and betrayals. The multiple units flipping loyalty also resembles in a way the board game Othello. Those two reasons are why I named it Othello Diplomacy after the great Shakespearean legend of betrayal.

Potential paradoxes: If a unit from Constantinople captures Paris and a unit from Paris captures Constantinople in the same year, then both units are destroyed and SCs don't change hands.
If a unit from Constantinople captures London, while a unit from London captures Paris, while a unit from Paris captures Constantinople in the same year, then all 3 units are destroyed and SCs don't change hands.
This preserves the gameplay while keeping the general rule that in cases of paradoxes the result maintains the status quo as much as possible.

Countries build and disband units normally and builds must still be done in national home SCs. Movement and retreats are the same as normal rules. All other rules are standard unless specifically stated otherwise.

Countries will be assigned via blind auction, so do not discuss preferences or you will be booted.

This game will be run on a 3/2/2 schedule.

An NMR during the bidding phase or spring 1901 will result in automatic removal and replacement.
2 total NMRs during the game will result in removal and replacement. This includes retreats and build phases.

I will attempt speed deadlines where possible. If you send me orders and don't wish for them to be treated as finalized, clearly mark them "provisional" either in the title or at the beginning of the PM.

I will send a PM to announce new phases and attempt to send a reminder 24hrs before the deadline for orders to those whose orders are still missing by that point in time. For retreat and winter phases I will also list the countries from which I need orders.

If you have any questions, be sure to ask.

1. Mambam14 -Confirmed
2. EpicDim -Confirmed
3. Drrnwrstlr -Confirmed
4. Jolive -Confirmed
5. Pedros -Confirmed
6. Connect4 -Confirmed
7. Dan2 -Confirmed

Reserves
1. Pharaoh of Nerds
2. Norlight
Last edited by Morg on 04 Jan 2014, 19:25, edited 14 times in total.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Rating: (1709)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Othello Diplomacy - Sign Ups

Postby Gooderian » 01 Dec 2013, 12:25

I sign up.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!

Interested in playing diplomacy, but turning it weird with special powers? Join Vain Rats!
Gooderian

Rating: (1005)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby EpicDim » 02 Dec 2013, 03:38

I'll play.

Question, do the unit "captures" only happen after Fall retreats?

And then build/disband numbers occur after the unit captures?
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way
EpicDim

Rating: (1187)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Morg » 02 Dec 2013, 03:49

EpicDim wrote:I'll play.

Question, do the unit "captures" only happen after Fall retreats?

And then build/disband numbers occur after the unit captures?

That's exactly right.
Morg
Premium Member

Postby Pedros » 02 Dec 2013, 12:05

Oh Lordy Lordy!

Maybe. I have too many games running, but put me on the list as a possible!

But would you call Othello the betrayer? To me he was betrayed (and so was Desdemona) by Iago. But never mind.

Talking of which, one of the great memorable moments of my life was seeing Paul Robeson as Othello at Stratford in 1959 when he'd just got his passport back after being blacklisted. Nobody else remember Robeson? Wonderful voice, and awesome.

And I'm not entering any discussion about the politics of it!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Rating: (1403)
Timezone: GMT

Postby drrnwrstlr » 05 Dec 2013, 07:23

I don't have time for this game at the moment due to finals, but if there is still an opening at the end of next week, sign me up.
D'Hara in Battle Island A
drrnwrstlr

Rating: (1144)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 17 Dec 2013, 13:15

This looks AWESOME! I so wish I had time... put me down as "Interested" or a reserve.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Rating: (943)

Postby connect4 » 18 Dec 2013, 22:09

So to clarify with a purely hypothetical case:

1901S
Italy A Ven-Tyr resolved
Austria F Tri-Ven resolved
Germany Mun-Ruh resolved

1901F
Italy Tyr-Mun resolved
Austria F Ven hold
Germany Ruh hold resolved (or Ruh-Bel bounced, for example)

Who controls Munich? Italy, for moving his army in, or does the army convert first because Austria captures Venice, resulting in an Austrian Munich AND Venice?
connect4

Class: Diplomat
Rating: (1012)

Postby norlight » 19 Dec 2013, 00:03

As I understand that happens simultaneously and Austria gets control of Venice and Munich, because army standing in Munich was built in Venice.

Morg wrote:Thus if a French unit captures Constantinople for example, not only does it capture the city, but all the units ever built in Constantinople become French. If a unit originally built in Constantinople occupies an SC at the end of fall that year, then that SC also becomes French as do any units that were built in that city and so the cycle can continue.
norlight
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Rating: 2112
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Morg » 19 Dec 2013, 06:04

norlight wrote:As I understand that happens simultaneously and Austria gets control of Venice and Munich, because army standing in Munich was built in Venice.

Morg wrote:Thus if a French unit captures Constantinople for example, not only does it capture the city, but all the units ever built in Constantinople become French. If a unit originally built in Constantinople occupies an SC at the end of fall that year, then that SC also becomes French as do any units that were built in that city and so the cycle can continue.

This is correct. Austria not only captures Venice but the units built in Venice, one of which occupies Munich, so Austria captures Munich as well.
Morg
Premium Member

Next

Return to Game 1