Players removed metagaming and team account

Noticed any suspicious activity? Report it here.

Moderators: Alman, gareth66

Forum rules
Cheaters
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. DO NOT POST BEFORE READING THIS: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54352
2. Any Post made to influence a game is cheating and may cause You to be removed from the game.
3. DO NOT put the names of the players involved in the TITLE of the post. They can be given in the post, if necessary.
If the game is Anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, send a Private Message to the Cheater-hunters group.

Players removed metagaming and team account

Postby WHSeward » 07 Nov 2017, 20:40

Diplomacy can be an intensely competitive game and the rich communication between players can make the game absorbing like no other. Unfortunately, it appears it has also caused a few of our members to lose track that in the end, this is just a game, and basic decency and fair play are required by participants for this enterprise to work.

In game 131305, ODC @ PDET 2017: 2N, ConorK threatened another player; either they hand over the game to the prior substitute player [nb: not allowed under the site mechanisms] or accept a 2-way draw or else be reported to the administration. This is blackmail and specifically against site rules. It is a blatant metagaming to attempt to use out-of-game issues to influence the result, and the threat itself irrevocably affects the subsequent results of the game.

ConorK is removed from all his active games, and is DQd from the 2017 PDET. Affected games are:
131305 ODC @ PDET 2017: 2N
135231 ODC @ PDET 2017: 3B

Additional investigation has revealed that Pootleflump, the substitute Italy in this same game, has violated anonymity, communicated outside of games while operating as a team account with Darthwader not only where she was a "sub", but also in games where she is nominally playing for her own account.

While it understandable that a newer player might want advice from others, we have mechanisms for that on site: mentor games and friends games. When you play a team account in a ranked or tournament game you are cheating the other players who are playing by themselves and deserve to be rated against the player they are on the board against. Playing team accounts in ranked or nonranked games is specifically prohibited by our site rules.

Pootleflump is removed from her active game where team play has been IDd and is DQd from the 2017 PDET. Affected game is:
135235, ODC @ PDET 2017: 3E

I have temporarily disabled both these players' accounts. If I receive a commitment to abide by the rules going forward, the accounts can be reinstated.

The Darthwader/Pootleflump team account has also operated together for a number of other games and these are being evaluated. This is an ongoing investigation and more will be posted as it established that additional games were affected.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1633
All-game rating: 1647
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Players removed metagaming and team account

Postby WHSeward » 08 Nov 2017, 01:18

I have received a commitment Pootleflump to follow site rules, and accordingly, have reactivated her account. However, this investigation remains open pending new developments.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward

Standard rating: 1633
All-game rating: 1647

Re: Players removed metagaming and team account

Postby Machiara » 08 Nov 2017, 05:22

Wow. I never thought we'd be seeing a PDET game in this section!
Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

No idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered with a searching but at the same time a steady eye.

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Machiara
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1973
All-game rating: 2001

Return to Cheaters