Unable to accept/reject draw

If the judge doesn't behave correctly or you found another problem, report it here!
Forum rules
Bugs
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should read the ‘Bugs Forum Guidelines’ thread.
2. In rare situations members have been known to post false bug reports in order to affect the game. This is considered cheating.
3. Please don't post information that might be detrimental to the game, such as revealing the power who sent a message. If further information is required by Admin to investigate the bug, you will be asked to provide it.
If the game a bug may have occurred in is anonymous, including Gunboat and Public Press Only, it is best to send a Private Message to the SITE HELP! group or to post using the Dolph Shtoss account rather than break anonymity.

Unable to accept/reject draw

Postby drewrich1997 » 08 Nov 2017, 15:23

Possible bug for 135352. Diplomacy Player's Lives Matter

The situation:
Turkey proposes a draw for him and Russia.
Most players accept, Austria rejects, Eng and Germany (me) didn't vote yet.
Since the draw is rejected, it disappeared from my status menu.
Austria is eliminated from the game before the draw expired.
Draw reappears, but I still can't vote on it, draw will expire soon with only accepts.

Notes:
1.I'm actually ambivalent about accepting or not, but if it's a bug, it should be fixed.
2. When I pointed this out to the other players, Turkey reproposed the draw under the same terms
Thanks.
drewrich1997
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1062
All-game rating: 1073
Timezone: GMT

Re: Unable to accept/reject draw

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Nov 2017, 16:42

Why can't you vote on it? What happens when you try?

By the way, the draw did not reappear. When a draw is rejected, it dies immediately. The 'reappearance' would be a new draw offer.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby drewrich1997 » 08 Nov 2017, 19:39

Here's the screenshot.
Note two separate draw offers.

The accept/reject buttons are there for the second draw offer; not there for the first.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 12.37.54 PM.png
Screen shot
Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 12.37.54 PM.png (74.32 KiB) Viewed 224 times
drewrich1997
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Nov 2017, 21:11

Ah, OK. I understand now :)

I thought you were saying you could not accept/reject the draw, but you can indeed do that. What you are concerned about is the fact that there is another draw proposal there which you cannot respond to. This is because when a new draw is proposed, it overrides the previous one so the previous one is basically dead. However, since it was superseded rather than rejected, it remains on the list so you can see what was superseded. You can just ignore it because you have no opportunity to accept/reject it anyway. You can just focus on the one that you CAN accept/reject.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby drewrich1997 » 08 Nov 2017, 21:55

The accept/deny buttons were missing before he proposed the 2nd draw.
He proposed the second draw after I pointed out the buttons were missing.
drewrich1997
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 09 Nov 2017, 08:28

I have had a closer look at this now. While not technically a bug, things could certainly be less confusing!

Basically, your game has had 3 draw proposals. The way the system works is that when a draw proposal is made, it then appears on the Status tab with the buttons for each player to accept or reject. At this point, it is a 'live' proposal. If a player rejects a draw proposal, it is now dead in terms of being enacted at the point it is rejected. However, it remains on display in the Status tab for information until it has been there for its full term (up to its expiry date). Once a draw proposal reaches its expiry date, it is then removed altogether from the Status tab.

So in your game, there were three draw proposals, P1, P2 and P3.

P1: A proposal from Italy for I/T/R made on Nov 2nd at 09:19 (server time), Fall 1905 Build. This was rejected at 10:24 on the same day.
P2. A proposal from Turkey for T/R made on Nov 5th at 19:59, Fall 1906 Orders. This was rejected by Austria at 23:56 on the same day.
P3. A proposal from Turkey for T/R made on Nov 8th at 07:51, Fall 1906 Orders. This is still open.

The game is now in Spring 1907, so P1 has not only been rejected but is also now beyond its expiry date and has therefore been dropped from the display.
P2 and P3 have not yet reached their expiry dates, so they are both shown on the Status display. P2 is of course no longer 'live' because it was rejected by Austria. Hence it has no buttons for accepting or rejecting. P3 is still open and hence it DOES have accept and reject buttons.

What is very confusing of course is that when a country surrenders, it is deemed irrelevant by the game. So unfortunately in the situation you have in your game, the country that rejected P2 (Austria) is surrendered and therefore the game interface does not show you any draw response info for it. So what you actually saw before you asked Turkey to repeat the offer was the original P2 that had been rejected, but you could no longer see it had been rejected by Austria. The only indication you have that it has been killed in the Status tab is that it no longer has accept and deny buttons. You assumed it was a new proposal and that you had no chance to accept/deny. The PP shows when draw offers are made/responded to, and that would have provided an audit trail, but of course when you are looking at the Status display it is perfectly understandable that you would find it confusing that the draw offer appears to be live but with no option for you to respond.

Really, the whole thing could do with tidying up. It would probably be worth putting a nice big OPEN or REJECTED or something so it is totally clear. Sorry for the confusion, anyway.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Bugs